First time custom loop, questions

HeyGuys

After the weekend the part for my custom loop will arrive. I've been watching videos on how to install GPU/CPU block and fill the loop etc, and I know how to do most of that stuff. But since it's my first time ever I'd like to hear tips/tricks from the people who are experienced! :D 

Also 1 question: To clear the thermal paste from the chips, do I NEED to use isopropyl alcohol or can I use other things? (If yes, what other things can I use?)

Thanks!

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

2 minutes ago, yannickverc said:

HeyGuys

After the weekend the part for my custom loop will arrive. I've been watching videos on how to install GPU/CPU block and fill the loop etc, and I know how to do most of that stuff. But since it's my first time ever I'd like to hear tips/tricks from the people who are experienced! :D 

Also 1 question: To clear the thermal paste from the chips, do I NEED to use isopropyl alcohol or can I use other things? (If yes, what other things can I use?)

Thanks!

It is best to use isopropyl alcohol as it is cheapest and works! :) Unless you get some thermal paste remover for free with some thermal paste (i did) I would stick with isopropyl alcohol

If you want a reply PLEASE QUOTE ME!

WE NEED CUSTOM MEMBER TITLES AGAIN!!!!!

Member title post link!

just watch all singularitycomputers videos, thats all the tips you ever need

and you can just use a damp cloth with water to remove the thermal paste

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

just watch all singularitycomputers videos, thats all the tips you ever need

Oh really? lmfao nice.

Thank for the suggestion, will watch their videos!

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

56 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I really wouldn't recommend this, if you happen to get water anywhere you may cause a short. Isopropyl dries nearly instantly, is cheap, and is non-conductive, just use that.

1 minute ago, EmeraldFlame said:

I really wouldn't recommend this, if you happen to get water anywhere you may cause a short. Isopropyl dries nearly instantly, is cheap, and is non-conductive, just use that.

Problem is that I don't have it, and I have no idea where I can buy that stuff :/ 

3 minutes ago, yannickverc said:

Problem is that I don't have it, and I have no idea where I can buy that stuff :/ 

Literally almost any store in the world. Isopropyl is just rubbing alcohol. Most gas station convenience stores will have it. Grocery stores/super markets. Pharmacies. Eye glass stores, the list goes on.

Just now, EmeraldFlame said:

Literally almost any store in the world. Isopropyl is just rubbing alcohol. Most gas station convenience stores will have it. Grocery stores/super markets. Pharmacies. Eye glass stores, the list goes on.

Ah nice. I don't know the name for it in my language so that's why I was wondering :) 

8 minutes ago, EmeraldFlame said:

DAMP NOT SOAKING

all you need it for the cloth to be slightly wet to wipe the paste off , it also dries in a few seconds

and of course wipe with a dry cloth afterwards to make sure there is nothing left behind

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Coffee filter and a bit of isopropyl alcohol works really well for removing thermal paste. It's what I did just a few days ago.

Get 91% isopropyl alcohol if you can find it. 

Build Log - Liquid Black Fury

Make sure you take your time installing the blocks and make sure the screws all line up properly. You don't want to use force and damage the threads. People recommend isopropyl alcohol because it evaporates quickly and have a less likelihood to damage the components if it makes contact. You could also use Arctic silver's cleaning kits as well but are less available and more expensive. 

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

10 hours ago, yannickverc said:

Ah nice. I don't know the name for it in my language so that's why I was wondering :) 

You are from Belgium. Wasbenzine will do.