Do I need an Optical Drive?

Eldridge Friend
Go to solution Solved by Naeaes,

Anything you'd need for the setup is available via USB/Internet. Worst-case scenario would be that you'd temporarily need another machine to create the USB installer from a DVD disk. For the long run it's up to you but I guess you'd already know if you needed it.

I'm building a new PC from scratch and I was wondering if I still need an Optical Drive?

If you plan on using DVDs/CDs at all, yes.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Anything you'd need for the setup is available via USB/Internet. Worst-case scenario would be that you'd temporarily need another machine to create the USB installer from a DVD disk. For the long run it's up to you but I guess you'd already know if you needed it.

Why are you asking us this?

Only you know what you need.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

just get an external DVD-writer

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

If you are using CDs and DVDs often, then get an optical drive. If you use them but rarely do so, get an external optical drive.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

2 hours ago, Goat said:

If you are using CDs and DVDs often, then get an optical drive. If you use them but rarely do so, get an external optical drive.

I'm quite curious cause when I saw some graphics card unboxing vids, it came with a CD and I think its for the drivers or something. I'm not entirely sure so I'm a bit paranoid to get a case without an optical drive.

1 minute ago, Eldridge Friend said:

I'm quite curious cause when I saw some graphics card unboxing vids, it came with a CD and I think its for the drivers or something. I'm not entirely sure so I'm a bit paranoid to get a case without an optical drive.

The driver CD that comes with your motherbaord and gpu are for installing drivers, but they are not up to date so you should install all your drivers from the manufacturer's website, where the drivers are up to date.

If you cannot access the internet on a new pc even though your internet is working, use the driver CD that comes with your motherboard to install the LAN drivers, as the LAN drivers are not pre-installed on the board. This may vary from board to board, where some of the drivers are pre-installed and others are not. This may be the only time where you will need to use a CD if you don't use CDs often. If this is the case, get an external optical drive.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

I have build a new PC myself, a few weeks ago. My case does not have an optical drive slot, so I had not possibility to install one.

Until now I have not missed one, though sometimes it would have been quite handy. I have an old external drive for assistance if I ever need an optival drive.

But as the other people said, it's not necessary to have a drive, since almost every driver is available on the internet.

CPU: Intel Core I7 6700k @ 4,6 GHz - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Ranger - RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 MHz

GPU: Asus Strix 980Ti OC - Case: NZXT. H440 - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750W - Cooling: Corsair Hydro H110i GTX

No. If you're asking that means you don't need one at all. The only reason I put one in my new build was so I could burn CD's for my car. Windows actually installs faster on a USB drive, especially USB3.

Desktop: i5-6600k w/ be quiet! Pure Rock cooler. | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 mobo | Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4-3000 | 240GB Sandisk SSD | Corsair 500r Case (White) | HTC Vive!! | Shitty Insignia monitor

Peripherals: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Sennheiser 558

Phone: Nexus 5x
Tablet: Amazon Fire tablet (2015)

Comes in handy if you need to give anyone some data that's too big to email and don't want to waste a flash drive on it.  I know flash drives are cheap but they're not $0.10 cheap lol