Who is this RAM provider?

Marziman
Go to solution Solved by Naeaes,

Geil is pretty basic. They're pretty and cheap but crap quality-wise. That's why a lot of retailers don't carry it, I'm guessing. Which would explain why it's pretty uncommon outside Eastern Asia.

Upon my daily stroll through internet components I'd like to buy, I see this new DDR4 RAM company called GeiL

a73e1653549645cbafce7986d6ee9cf3.png

In my opinion the RAM is pretty and would like nice on a board like the MSI Titanium.

I've never heard of GeiL before and I was wondering if anyone has some background on them.

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

Iv seen them around, used them to build a freinds PC which is used for photo work so RAM gets fairly abused and its still going strong. Though is only a simple case.

Hi!  Please quote me in replies otherwise I may not see your response!

Geil is pretty basic. They're pretty and cheap but crap quality-wise. That's why a lot of retailers don't carry it, I'm guessing. Which would explain why it's pretty uncommon outside Eastern Asia.

2 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

Thank you for the input.  I was wondering why, thought they're expensive!  It was 135$ I think for an 8Gb set. That's almost Dom Plats territory.

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

3 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

To be honest Dom Plats are a bit crap anyway. They just look nice.

Earlier DDR3 GEIL was some of the better DDR3 you could buy.

1 minute ago, harrynowl said:

To be honest Dom Plats are a bit crap anyway. They just look nice.

Earlier DDR3 GEIL was some of the better DDR3 you could buy.

Huh really.  I'll have to look into that.  I never really liked Dom Plats, they are wayyy over priced!  I could pick up a much faster G. Skill Rip Jawz.

11 minutes ago, Marziman said:

Huh really.  I'll have to look into that.  I never really liked Dom Plats, they are wayyy over priced!  I could pick up a much faster G. Skill Rip Jawz.

On DDR4 G.Skill is where it's at right now. The Corsair/Kingston stuff is based on the Hynix MFR chips which are just inferior to Samsung D/E die used in the Ripjaws 4 (Although some Ripjaws use the same MFRs- product ID ending in GRK/GRR).

IMO comparing the quality/speed of RAM by brand (And thus I disagree with the comment above about them being lower quality) is pretty fruitless as the ICs come from 3 main companies atm- Micron (with their D9 based ICs for DDR3/4), Hynix (various DDR3 ICs, MFR on DDR4) and Samsung (various ICs again for both). You occasionally see some other brands though, such as PowerChip, Nanya, Elpida, Qimonda etc.

18 minutes ago, harrynowl said:

On DDR4 G.Skill is where it's at right now. The Corsair/Kingston stuff is based on the Hynix MFR chips which are just inferior to Samsung D/E die used in the Ripjaws 4 (Although some Ripjaws use the same MFRs- product ID ending in GRK/GRR).

IMO comparing the quality/speed of RAM by brand (And thus I disagree with the comment above about them being lower quality) is pretty fruitless as the ICs come from 3 main companies atm- Micron (with their D9 based ICs for DDR3/4), Hynix (various DDR3 ICs, MFR on DDR4) and Samsung (various ICs again for both). You occasionally see some other brands though, such as PowerChip, Nanya, Elpida, Qimonda etc.

Yep I totally agree!  G. Skill Rip Jaws was one of the fastest DDR3 and last I checked, has the fastest DDR4.  Though, I like the new one with the sharp aluminium heat sink.

3 minutes ago, Marziman said:

Yep I totally agree!  G. Skill Rip Jaws was one of the fastest DDR3 and last I checked, has the fastest DDR4.  Though, I like the new one with the sharp aluminium heat sink.

The Trident-Zs? They're the absolute best atm :P 

And yes G.Skill have been doing pretty well, they tend not to use Hynix that much compared to Corsair, Kingston (who seem to exclusively use Hynix on DDR4) etc. My main testing RAM is oldschool G.Skill Pi that does 2400 CL7. GL doing that on Hynix RAM :P

1 hour ago, harrynowl said:

Elpida is Micron now. Qimonda went bankrupt years ago.

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

Elpida is Micron now. Qimonda went bankrupt years ago.

Correct. I was just listing off names you could find if you went digging in a bucket of RAM :P