Which GPU Should I Buy?

Darkr

Hi,

My GPU recently started having a spasm; It glitches, crashes, and all that stuff. I'm looking to buy a new GPU in the coming month or so.

I play games such as Fallout 4, LoL, or a bit of FPS or RPGs.

Which GPU would be the best value for money at the moment?

I'm looking into the 980ti or Fury X, and am slightly tilted towards the 980ti.

Thanks.

Yeah go 390 or 970

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

Just now, Matty2hatty said:

The 980 ti is a bit overkill, if you want to save money go with the 380/390

Lol wut? What if he's playing at 1440p? It won't be overkill then. And I think the 980 ti is a great choice.

Just now, Matty2hatty said:

The 980 ti is a bit overkill, if you want to save money go with the 380/390

I also own a 144hz 1440p monitor, and wouldn't want that to go to waste :P 

3 minutes ago, Matty2hatty said:

Yeah or the 970 if you don't wanna mess with catalyst drivers….

Catalyst is loooooong gone

Get the 980ti.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, Darkr said:

At 1440p the 980 Ti and Fury X are within spitting distance of each other depending on the game.

If you want better temps and less noise - Fury X
You want a better OC and 5% better performance - 980 Ti
You want Free-sync? Fury X
You want G-sync? 980 TI
You want OpenCL or Direct Compute? Fury X
You want CUDA? 980 TI
You want Bridgeless CF? Fury X
You want Shadowplay? 980 Ti
You want GPU Open effects? Fury X
You want GameWorks effects? 980 Ti

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

Catalyst is loooooong gone

Get the 980ti.

If I did, which version would you recommend? I'm looking at the gigabyte one atm.

Just now, Darkr said:

If I did, which version would you recommend? I'm looking at the gigabyte one atm.

EVGA or MSI

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, Darkr said:

EVGA ACX 2.0/MSI G6 but there are lots of other good ones.

Pascal laptops guide

3 minutes ago, Darkr said:

Check hardwarecanucks they looked into so many variants

Pascal laptops guide

If you can aford it the 980ti is better, In most cases when overclocked it will do better than a Titan X. Also it will be cheaper to add another one in the future.

21 minutes ago, Darkr said:

Oh, then look into a quieter 980 Ti. Preferably one with an AIO. There's a problem with nvidia cards that makes them idle at high clock speeds when you set them at 144hz. This resulted in increased temperature and power draw on idle, the cards would idle at 800~1000mhz instead of the standard idle clock. Nvidia tried to fix this but it isn't working for everyone.   

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/Testing-GPU-Power-Draw-Increased-Refresh-Rates-using-ASUS-PG279Q

I'd avoid the windforce/G1 and reference cards knowing how loud the fans can get xD

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Oh, then look into a quieter 980 Ti. Preferably one with an AIO. There's a problem with nvidia cards that makes them idle at high clock speeds when you set them at 144hz. This resulted in increased temperature and power draw on idle, the cards would idle at 800~1000mhz instead of the standard idle clock. Nvidia tried to fix this but it isn't working for everyone.   

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/Testing-GPU-Power-Draw-Increased-Refresh-Rates-using-ASUS-PG279Q

I'd avoid the windforce/G1 and reference cards knowing how loud the fans can get xD

Well, I have the MG279, so I hope it wouldn't be a problem :D

4 minutes ago, Darkr said:

Well, I have the MG279, so I hope it wouldn't be a problem :D

It's not just limited to that display. Loads of 144hz display will affect the card. 

Here's one guy from the nvidia thread 

Hi,

BenQ XL2730Z @ 144HZ ( I have a Only 1 monitor )
Evga 980Ti SC ACX - Driver V. 361.75 and 361.82 - and this driver ! Orginal Bios ( If you want i can share my bios )
Windows 10 Pro TH2 - Orginal License - Fresh Install

My card not get idle clocks. Bottom clocks are 800~ Mhz when 144Hz. But if i set 120Hz it can get idle clocks.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/916860/geforce-drivers/official-361-91-game-ready-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-2-15-16-/post/4807626/#4807626

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

49 minutes ago, Darkr said:

Hi,

My GPU recently started having a spasm; It glitches, crashes, and all that stuff. I'm looking to buy a new GPU in the coming month or so.

I play games such as Fallout 4, LoL, or a bit of FPS or RPGs.

Which GPU would be the best value for money at the moment?

I'm looking into the 980ti or Fury X, and am slightly tilted towards the 980ti.

Thanks.

if it's value for money the best candidates are GTX 970, R9 380. But looking at your post if it's between the 980ti v the Fury X go with the 980ti.