Hard Drive Setup Configuration For New Build

VicariousStudio

So we have a new build (5820K, 32GB DDR4 Ram, X99A Motherboard) and things are going quite well. Just have a question about the hard drive setup.

We currently have a 240gb SSD that we will be using for certain. We will be purchasing a WD Black 1tb 7200 for storage of files. It's the program files I am wondering about. 240gb may not actually be enough so we are thinking of another 240gb ssd in raid 0. The only things on this would be the OS and the Program Files. Nothing vital. Want to get the 1tb WD Black HDD for storage for sure, really dont want to purchase a single larger SSD than the 240gb to use. And since it's not easy to extend the size of the C drive later (And raid 0 impossible without deleting all data), this is what we came up with. Any suggestions on the best method?

Did everyone see that? Because I will not be doing it again.

26 minutes ago, VicariousStudio said:

So we have a new build (5820K, 32GB DDR4 Ram, X99A Motherboard) and things are going quite well.

never run RAID 0 ever aside from playing around in benchmarking, otherwise you're probably going to want some mass storage just to have room.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

never run RAID 0 ever aside from playing around in benchmarking, otherwise you're probably going to want some mass storage just to have room.

Well I dont want to invest in an ssd above 240gb and i need more than the 240gb i have so why wouldnt I run them in raid 0?

2 minutes ago, VicariousStudio said:

Well I dont want to invest in an ssd above 240gb and i need more than the 240gb i have so why wouldnt I run them in raid 0?

because it's beyond dangerous with your data, at any time it can die and you lose everything, or have to spend a lot of money trying to get things back.

if for some reason you feel you need that speed then buy a PCI-e SSD, or just put the money towards a nice 4k display for productivity.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

But it will legit only have program files (Installers of which are backed up elsewhere) and the OS (Which I store on a usb drive) so if they crashed, I would only be mildly annoyed.

Let me say this though, I am not using the RAID 0 to increase performance, I am doing it to combine the two drives so I have sufficient size.

10 minutes ago, VicariousStudio said:

Let me say this though, I am not using the RAID 0 to increase performance, I am doing it to combine the two drives so I have sufficient size.

That isn't what RAID 0 does, RAID 0 splits the data across the 2 drives to increase speed and is rather dangerous, if you want more storage you can just plug in the second drive, you don't use RAID anything to increase your storage,

you could create a spanned volume, which does what you want, but again is probably still dangerous with your data, as any files split across 2 drives would be lost when one drive fails.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanned_volume

Spoiler

That isn't what RAID 0 does, RAID 0 splits the data across the 2 drives to increase speed and is rather dangerous, if you want more storage you can just plug in the second drive, you don't use RAID anything to increase your storage,

you could create a spanned volume, which does what you want, but again is probably still dangerous with your data, as any files split across 2 drives would be lost when one drive fails.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanned_volume

True, so is there any advantage to using a Spanned Volume over Raid 0?

1 minute ago, VicariousStudio said:

True, so is there any advantage to using a Spanned Volume over Raid 0?

They're 2 completely different things, both are probably unnecessary

Spoiler

They're 2 completely different things, both are probably unnecessary

Hmm. Unnecessary? I dont understand. We have a 240gb ssd. We require an ssd as a boot drive. 240gb isnt enough space on the c: drive. We can afford another 240gb but not a 500gb. I really see no other way?

Just now, VicariousStudio said:

Hmm. Unnecessary? I dont understand. We have a 240gb ssd. We require an ssd as a boot drive. 240gb isnt enough space on the c: drive. We can afford another 240gb but not a 500gb. I really see no other way?

All you do is plug in the other drive and it'll show up as a second drive, there's not anything more you need to do

Spoiler

that would be making it a slave drive and then the "Program Files" folder wouldnt be on it. So we would have 2 Program Files folders and I have no idea how to do that with it being seamless. Know what I mean?

8 minutes ago, VicariousStudio said:

that would be making it a slave drive and then the "Program Files" folder wouldnt be on it. So we would have 2 Program Files folders and I have no idea how to do that with it being seamless. Know what I mean?

slave drive is an ancient thing at this point

but I suppose it wouldn't be, but what does that matter? Just save some of your data on the second drive, and some of it to the default on the primary drive

if you really just want a bigger drive, then save up for a 480gb drive, it's going to be a lot safer than a spanned disk set up

this ones possibly the best budget SSD at $130

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/sandisk-internal-hard-drive-sdssdhii480gg25

Spoiler

slave drive is an ancient thing at this point

but I suppose it wouldn't be, but what does that matter? Just save some of your data on the second drive, and some of it to the default on the primary drive

if you really just want a bigger drive, then save up for a 480gb drive, it's going to be a lot safer than a spanned disk set up

this ones possibly the best budget SSD at $130

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/sandisk-internal-hard-drive-sdssdhii480gg25

Lol you are right, I'm an older horse when it comes to this. Slave meaning additional drive that is not the primary boot drive. Alright I will rethink it for sure. Thanks for the replies!