Has anyone ever dumpster dived

zerouplol12

I can't imagine anyone on here who has..

I thought that stuff happened in mostly third world countries and on movies/TV

I would love to dive in Intel factory trashcans... One signed "failed CPU's"

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Homeless people are territorial and willing to fight for the best trash? Luckily doesn't happen here. :) There's other dangers in dumpster diving too, but that's the kind of one that'd keep me from doing it too.

If I'm gonna go dumpster diving again to the nearest scrapyard in here, I guess I'll have to carry a geiger counter... Okay maybe not, I might be over protective, but can't be too careful with alpha particles...

Also, you grew up in the ghetto? I feel sorry for you. How's the life now by the way?

East Los Angeles born and raised...im hood!  :P It was what it was man. got the hell out as soon as I could and joined the military, kept me straight. I Live in Las Vegas now and play blackjack for a living...life is skippy thanks. 

Yea, uhh... I think I can do without eating food that's in a dumpster myself, but hey, that's just me...

Why? If it's vacuum packed what difference does it make if it's been in a sales display with other plastic wrapped stuff or in a dumpster with other plastic wrapped stuff?

Years ago when I was driving garbage truck, I saved all the bottles that I could find from ending up to the dump. Here in Finland some beer and soda bottles incluse a small deposit which you get back if you return the bottle for recycling. So I gathered all the clean and good condition bottles and returned them. This way in a good day I might have earned more than 100€ extra. So I was getting paid for emptying the wheelie bins and made easy money at the same time.

I haven't really dumpster dived ever but I have saved stuff from ending up to the trash. Some companies throw away good quality stuff like office equipment, chairs, desks, etc. Also lots of tech gets sent to the dump. There are gigabit routers, cables, still usable laptops, mice, printers, etc.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

I can't imagine anyone on here who has..

I thought that stuff happened in mostly third world countries and on movies/TV

People can dumpster dive to get information either to commit fraud, learn information about a company to gain access later, etc.  Company's throw out information that social engineers could use to gain trust with a company for example a list  of employees names and phone numbers may seem completely harmless but could be used to gain access to other confidential data. 

I would never do it, it is even considered as theft in germany, but i was never in a sitation where i haven't had enough money to live..

Years ago when I was driving garbage truck, I saved all the bottles that I could find from ending up to the dump. Here in Finland some beer and soda bottles incluse a small deposit which you get back if you return the bottle for recycling. So I gathered all the clean and good condition bottles and returned them. This way in a good day I might have earned more than 100€ extra. So I was getting paid for emptying the wheelie bins and made easy money at the same time.

I haven't really dumpster dived ever but I have saved stuff from ending up to the trash. Some companies throw away good quality stuff like office equipment, chairs, desks, etc. Also lots of tech gets sent to the dump. There are gigabit routers, cables, still usable laptops, mice, printers, etc.

That much for returnable bottles and cans? Wow. In my hometown, if I'm searching bottles and cans hard enough from the whole town, I get about 2€/day. There's just so many bottles and cans bought abroad (mainly from Estonia) and returning those won't yield anything.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

That much for returnable bottles and cans? Wow. In my hometown, if I'm searching bottles and cans hard enough from the whole town, I get about 2€/day. There's just so many bottles and cans bought abroad (mainly from Estonia) and returning those won't yield anything.

It's a bit different thing when you empty hundreds of wheelie bins a day. It also depends where you look for the empty bottles. Town centers are usually not as good places to find bottles but from private houses and their wheelie bins usually contains one or two bottles each. During winter time this drops dramatically.

However this happened well before the financial crisis in 2008. There might be a shortage of bottles since people don't have as much money to spend, so they make less waste. I haven't driven the garbage truck after 2007.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

My mom did this so often that everything we had in our house was either a curb find or a dumpster dive. So... of course I tried it a few times. I once found a CRT 27" flatscreen with a broken cable/antenna input. Had S-Video though. So worked fine. But...

...Age- 15

Location- Super D(drugstore) dumpster

6 YES 6!!! 6 packs of "expired" wine coolers

AND a 12 pack(well, 9 pack) of Coors light that was dropped

Gold mine for a 15 year old.

Bitches don't read expiration dates.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

my friend used to work at a place that tested warranty return PS3 systems, at one point we were taking home loads of faulty PS3's with various faults, stripping them and using the good parts to build consoles. Best bit was if a console was deemed to be not worth fixing they would throw the controllers out with them as well, regardless if they worked or not!

Yes. Someone in this world has been dumpster diving.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

I would never do it, it is even considered as theft in germany, but i was never in a sitation where i haven't had enough money to live..

in some part think about it they threw it out ,who cares if you take it 

I don't understand it either, but you can get charged for theft if you take something out of others dumpsters. 

A lot of supermarkets actually sue you because they don't want homeless people etc. around their store, sounds harsh but they don't want them to 'scare' their customers