4 Sticks Quad Channel?

I am looking at this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148867&cm_re=Crucial_Ballistix_Sport_32GB-_-20-148-867-_-Product

Under specifications, it says it is Quad Channel. I was under the impression that 2 sticks = 1 channel. I have 8 slots in my motherboard total, so can someone help me understand? This kit only has 4 sticks, so isn't that just 2 channel?

Did everyone see that? Because I will not be doing it again.

Ram sticks have NOTHING to do with  Single, Dual or Quad Channel. This depends 100% only on the Motherboard and the Memory Controler.

Quad Channel is only possible, if you have an x99 Motherboard.

quad = 4 = 4 sticks = quad channel possible, if you put them into the right Slots (Should be "into the same color")

If you use Skylake, you cana lso use 4 Sticks. But you will only have Dual Channel, because the skylake Chipset only can use Dual Channel.

For clarification:

Dual = 2 = 2 sticks.

How do you get the idea, that 2 sticks are single Channel?

If you thought, 8 Channels = Quad, that has nothing to do with this.

For Quad Channel you need 4 Slots (and of course, the right chipset).

8 DIMM Slots are basicly, 2x Quad Channel.

you can have 4 sticks with Quad Channel, or 8 sticks with Quad Channel (for professional use with an extreme amount of Ram).

Each stick of memory is a channel. The idea of dual channel and quad channel memory is that all the memory works as a raid 0 almost. It divides the workload between the different ram modules for the most efficient use. Where if you just have 4 single channel ram modules workloads won't be divided up. Dual channel = 2 stick Quad channel = 4 sticks

Well I thought that the 2 matching slots were a "channel". I actually have a MSI X99A Gaming 7 with a 5820K processor. It's not the highest end thing like what people here have, but its what I could afford. So does this mean in the future I could buy a second kit identical to this and have 64gb? Thanks for the help.

Yes that is exactly what it means. If you did that you would have two quad channel ram kits as well. BTW your system is pretty ballin.

Just now, VOLUNTEERbrowncoat said:

Yes that is exactly what it means. If you did that you would have two quad channel ram kits as well. BTW your system is pretty ballin.

Oh ok, thank you. lol I don't know how ballin it is, I only have the 6 core CPU, the 8 core one was too pricey for me.

10 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Ram sticks have NOTHING to do with  Single, Dual or Quad Channel. This depends 100% only on the Motherboard and the Memory Controler.

quad = 4 = 4 sticks = quad channel possible, if you put them into the right Slots (Should be "into the same color")

If you use Skylake, you cana lso use 4 Sticks. But you will only have Dual Channel, because the skylake Chipset only can use Dual Channel.

For clarification:

Dual = 2 = 2 sticks.

you can have 4 sticks with Quad Channel, or 8 sticks with Quad Channel (for professional use with an extreme amount of Ram).

im x99

cpu limits to 64gb, motherboard supports 128,

running 4x16gb (using only 1/2 of all available slots)sticks, quad channel

4 minutes ago, VOLUNTEERbrowncoat said:

is there any way i can get a 5960x to support 128gb?

ive got 4x16gb, wanna run 128

dont ask why

1 minute ago, VOLUNTEERbrowncoat said:

Dude, I just run a quad core i5, so your six-core with six hyper-threads isn't a joke. Not many people can actually afford a 5960x processor, nor do they need one.

i got my in a givaway

GooD Lord of Computing!  your motherboard have 8 Memory slots , that must be X99  < or can you please post the exact make and model? >

i bet its a quad channel capable motherboard, so buying that quad channel ram kit < that's how it's called  actually > OPTIMIZES your motherboard and RAM performance.

Memory Channeling  < single | dual | triple | quad > is inherent on specific processor's architecture and thus the motherboard is

required to comply to make it run.

Then the memory < makers > also comply and creates Memory kits very accordingly to a specific target motherboard model.

samples are : single stick | channel or triple stick s | channels for LGA1366

:  4 sticks | quad channel for LGA2011

etc..

If your on the x99 platform your motherboard should support 128GB of ram, although I'm not entirely sure why you would need that much. Typically you only see that much memory on resource or workflow servers.

Yup, like i Said, you can use Quad Channel (just need to put 1 Ram stick each into Channel A, B, C, and D.

In That Case, its either 64gb Quad Channel, or if you use all slots, 128gb Quad channel (if the CPU would support it).

But you will 100% have Quad Channel with 4 Sticks.

Edit: If 128gb are possible.. idk... maybe just try if it works?

CPU only supports 2133 Mhz Ram, but more will still work fine, since the Motherboard is overclocking it. So maybe 64gb is only "officially supported" by Intel, but thats no reason 128gb wont work?

As Long 16gb sticks work.

Just now, Bajantechnician said:

is there any way i can get a 5960x to support 128gb?

ive got 4x16gb, wanna run 128

dont ask why

No. http://ark.intel.com/products/82930/Intel-Core-i7-5960X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-20M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

64GB is the limit I'm afraid.

Dude, I just run a quad core i5, so your six-core with six hyper-threads isn't a joke. Not many people can actually afford a 5960x processor, nor do they need one.

Oh. I watch LTT videos, makes it seem like everyone here has 4 980s in sli, 12 core cpus, etc. lol. We do content production so ya, we COULD use the bigger CPU, but its SOOO less performance per dollar.

Just now, butitoy said:

GooD Lord of Computing!  your motherboard have 8 Memory slots , that must be X99  < or can you please post the exact make and model? >

i bet its a quad channel capable motherboard, so buying that quad channel ram kit < that's how it's called  actually > OPTIMIZES your motherboard and RAM performance.

Memory Channeling  < single | dual | triple | quad > is inherent on specific processor's architecture and thus the motherboard is

Then the memory < makers > also comply and creates Memory kits very accordingly to a specific target motherboard model.

etc..

Sure my friend. Here it is https://us.msi.com/product/motherboard/X99A-GAMING-7.html

4 minutes ago, butitoy said:

etc..

GODLIKE GAMING X99

4 minutes ago, VOLUNTEERbrowncoat said:

If your on the x99 platform your motherboard should support 128GB of ram, although I'm not entirely sure why you would need that much. Typically you only see that much memory on resource or workflow servers.

mno sure if CPU supports it, not mobo

4 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Yup, like i Said, you can use Quad Channel (just need to put 1 Ram stick each into Channel A, B, C, and D.

In That Case, its either 64gb Quad Channel, or if you use all slots, 128gb Quad channel (if the CPU would support it).

But you will 100% have Quad Channel with 4 Sticks.

Edit: If 128gb are possible.. idk... maybe just try if it works?

CPU only supports 2133 Mhz Ram, but more will still work fine, since the Motherboard is overclocking it. So maybe 64gb is only "officially supported" by Intel, but thats no reason 128gb wont work?

As Long 16gb sticks work.

intel website says only 64 supported

so  slots are A B C D E F G H

ram is in B D E G

3 minutes ago, VicariousStudio said:

No. http://ark.intel.com/products/82930/Intel-Core-i7-5960X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-20M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

Oh. I watch LTT videos, makes it seem like everyone here has 4 980s in sli, 12 core cpus, etc. lol. We do content production so ya, we COULD use the bigger CPU, but its SOOO less performance per dollar.

heh

Keep in mind almost every system at Linus Tech Tips is comprised of donated parts from sponsors. And yeah I would love a 5960x also but there is no way I can justify a $1000 cpu to my wife or myself. If you do content production then yeah the extra cores would probably help.

Keep in mind almost every system at Linus Tech Tips is comprised of donated parts from sponsors. And yeah I would love a 5960x also but there is no way I can justify a $1000 cpu to my wife or myself. If you do content production then yeah the extra cores would probably help.

Ah ok. Well now I feel better knowing I dont have the "dinky setup of the forum" lol! The extra cores could help, but even in our case it's not worth it in this way. The price for the cpu alone is $600 more. As Linus demonstrated with the $150 gaming build setup, yes it's used parts, but you can put together a nice xeon server with 8 cores and use it either as network render or render farm. For our application that $600 for just 2 more cores alone wasn't worth it.

23 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

For clarification:

Dual = 2 = 2 sticks.

I've got a motherboard that runs all 4 sticks of RAM in single channel...so some computers could have 2x slots of RAM running in single channel.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

10 minutes ago, VicariousStudio said:

Eh hem. No it isn't. Intel doesn't EVER update their ram support and when x99 came out 8GB dimms were the max.

It will WITHOUT a doubt support 128 GB of at least 2133/2400 cl15 ram (top teir manufacturers).

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Eh hem. No it isn't. Intel doesn't EVER update their ram support and when x99 came out 8GB dimms were the max.

It will WITHOUT a doubt support 128 GB of at least 2133/2400 cl15 ram (top teir manufacturers).

Ok well no need to shout. I posted what I read on Intel's site. Put 128 terabytes of ram in there for all I care.

15 minutes ago, VicariousStudio said:

Ok well no need to shout. I posted what I read on Intel's site. Put 128 terabytes of ram in there for all I care.

I mean does two words a shout make?

Just reminding everyone that it has been done before and there is no reason whatsoever to suggest it can't be done again in the future.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS