Will leaving my PS4 controller plugged in kill its battery life?

Virtual01
Go to solution Solved by SansVarnic,

No. Batteries today that are rechargeable have a built in off switch when they get to 100% and wont start charging again until they drop to 96-98% (for most brands).

It is good to let the battery use its charge to 50% before recharging for good battery life retention / health.

So I don't actually have a PS4, but I use a PS4 controller to play PC games. I'm not 100% on this, but the battery life seems to be fading. Can leaving it plugged in all the time lead to decreased battery life? I don't have it in 100% of the time, but sometimes I will leave it to charge overnight and then kind of forget about it for a few days. When I do use it though I drain the battery to 0% before plugging it back in.

2 minutes ago, Virtual01 said:

So I don't actually have a PS4, but I use a PS4 controller to play PC games. I'm not 100% on this, but the battery life seems to be fading. Can leaving it plugged in all the time lead to decreased battery life? I don't have it in 100% of the time, but sometimes I will leave it to charge overnight and then kind of forget about it for a few days. When I do use it though I drain the battery to 0% before plugging it back in.

No it will charge it....

No. Batteries today that are rechargeable have a built in off switch when they get to 100% and wont start charging again until they drop to 96-98% (for most brands).

It is good to let the battery use its charge to 50% before recharging for good battery life retention / health.

Edited by SansVarnic
Add video

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

My MoBo has that thing that charges stuff from the USB even when the PC is off. I leave my PS3 controller there almost 24/7 but when I need it on the PS3, the battery works just fine for more than a day of heavy usage.

Intel i7-4770; ASUS Z97M-PLUS/BR ;Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz; EVGA Geforce 970 SC; Corsair TX550M; Raijintek Aeneas

On 16/02/2016 at 3:48 AM, Virtual01 said:

Draining it to 0 is actually worse than only half draining it, better plugging it in at 25% or something

Note that  keeping it connected will not drain the battery further as they auto cut off charging

Batteries only have a certain number of cycles, for arguments sake, lets say 250 cycles, so that means every time you charge it, you are diminishing the batteries overall life by a small amount

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii