Cat 7 or Cat 6a

DJ25380
Go to solution Solved by W-L,
7 minutes ago, DJ25380 said:

So i have a Cat 5e cable streched all the way to my room from the living room. the cable i used was over 75 feet should i get a Cat 7? Do cat 7 Even exist cause I've read somewhere that they are a bluff. In that case should i just wait until the real think comes out or upgrade now? this has been scratching my mind. Also why does wikipedia have a category for Cat 8? does that exist already?

For your cable I would suggest CAT 6 cable just for durability reasons with thicker insulation over CAT 5e still going at 1Gbps speeds unless you have 10Gbps capable hardware where CAT 6a is the cable you will want to look into. For CAT 7 they do exist and are available but is basically CAT 6a with even more shielding. 

CAT8 isn't out anywhere from my knowledge but has been slated out as the next standard when needed. 

So i have a Cat 5e cable streched all the way to my room from the living room. the cable i used was over 75 feet should i get a Cat 7? Do cat 7 Even exist cause I've read somewhere that they are a bluff. In that case should i just wait until the real think comes out or upgrade now? this has been scratching my mind. Also why does wikipedia have a category for Cat 8? does that exist already?

3 hours ago, zlolslavez said:

Cat5e should work for ~300ft. I can't imagine you need more than that.

I punctured the cable while stapling and its now showing signs of degradation, so i was wondering if i could do what @LinusTech with getting a flat Cat7 and taping it down.

1 minute ago, DJ25380 said:

I punctured the cable while stapling and its now showing signs of degradation, so i was wondering if i could do what @LinusTech with getting a flat Cat7 and taping it down.

Why keep mentioning Cat7, you don't need the speed or range of it, just pickup this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3ZS3CS8893&cm_re=CAT5e_Ethernet_Flat_Cable_50ft-_-9SIA3ZS3CS8893-_-Product , or something similar.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

8 minutes ago, DJ25380 said:

unless you are in a datacenter with tons of interference. you do not need a cat6e or anything higher.

Cat5e is more than enough

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

7 minutes ago, DJ25380 said:

For your cable I would suggest CAT 6 cable just for durability reasons with thicker insulation over CAT 5e still going at 1Gbps speeds unless you have 10Gbps capable hardware where CAT 6a is the cable you will want to look into. For CAT 7 they do exist and are available but is basically CAT 6a with even more shielding. 

CAT8 isn't out anywhere from my knowledge but has been slated out as the next standard when needed. 

I like to use Cat9, but Cat10 can work just as well. Sometimes you would want to use Cat11-W, but I doubt you really have a need for it. Cat12-EΩ4  sounds pretty cool, might want to wait for that.

Spoiler

For real though just use Cat5e or Cat6. There is no reason to use Cat7, you don't need to utilize the speed it is meant for.

9 minutes ago, DJ25380 said:

Cat 6a is plentiful and you will NEVER exceed the cable.

if you really need 75 feet of cable I recommend you get an inexpensive power wall thing (sorry don't know proper name) so that you have the same performance of just using normal Ethernet cables

watch linuses video on it

My Current Build: FX 8350 @ 5Ghz || NZXT Kraken X40 ( 0-11'C Idle - 40-50'C Load) || Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 || 4Gb HyperX Fury @ 1600Mhz / 3x1Gb Corsair XMS3 @ 1066Mhz || MSI R9 290 (Preforming At the Speed of an R9 290X) @ 1050Mhz || Cooler Master HAF 932 || 2x400Gb WD Drives - 500Gb Seagate Barracuda || 4 Random CD Drives || Viewsonic 1050x1680p Display || Logitech G602 Mouse || Microsoft Comfort Curve 3000 || Mpow Bluetooth Headphones ||

Next Build (April 2016): Same... || Custom Watercooled CPU loop || (October): Upgrade loop to include GPU ||

Laptop: Acer Aspire V3-531 || Intel B960 @ 2.2Ghz || 8Gb Ram || 500Gb Hitachi (donated from a old PS3 (120Gb Sandisk SSDNow Died))  ||

3 hours ago, givingtnt said:

unless you are in a datacenter with tons of interference. you do not need a cat6e or anything higher.

Why keep mentioning Cat7, you don't need the speed or range of it, just pickup this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3ZS3CS8893&cm_re=CAT5e_Ethernet_Flat_Cable_50ft-_-9SIA3ZS3CS8893-_-Product , or something similar.

For a bit more money i could be moving it up and making sure i get the proper speed for years to come
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812705544

3 hours ago, W-L said:

Here is the Wikipedia article i found that has a mention of Category 8 cables https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_11801#CAT7

Just now, DJ25380 said:

For a bit more money i could be moving it up and making sure i get the proper speed for years to come
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812705544

my internet is running through 150ft of cat5e cable and doing great.

you do not need cat6e

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

my internet is running through 150ft of cat5e cable and doing great.

you do not need cat6e

3 hours ago, 13hanifz said:

Cat 6a is plentiful and you will NEVER exceed the cable.

if you really need 75 feet of cable I recommend you get an inexpensive power wall thing (sorry don't know proper name) so that you have the same performance of just using normal Ethernet cables

watch linuses video on it

Cat5e should work for ~300ft. I can't imagine you need more than that.

As i Already mentioned, i punctured my cable and if i should upgrade for the future or is there no Point of doing so because the cables will be better and faster then.

3 hours ago, DJ25380 said:

I punctured the cable while stapling and its now showing signs of degradation

2 minutes ago, DJ25380 said:

As i Already mentioned, i punctured my cable and if i should upgrade for the future or is there no Point of doing so because the cables will be better and faster then.

U STILL WOULD NOT NEED ALL THAT POWAAAAAAAAAAAAAR :P

My Current Build: FX 8350 @ 5Ghz || NZXT Kraken X40 ( 0-11'C Idle - 40-50'C Load) || Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 || 4Gb HyperX Fury @ 1600Mhz / 3x1Gb Corsair XMS3 @ 1066Mhz || MSI R9 290 (Preforming At the Speed of an R9 290X) @ 1050Mhz || Cooler Master HAF 932 || 2x400Gb WD Drives - 500Gb Seagate Barracuda || 4 Random CD Drives || Viewsonic 1050x1680p Display || Logitech G602 Mouse || Microsoft Comfort Curve 3000 || Mpow Bluetooth Headphones ||

Next Build (April 2016): Same... || Custom Watercooled CPU loop || (October): Upgrade loop to include GPU ||

Laptop: Acer Aspire V3-531 || Intel B960 @ 2.2Ghz || 8Gb Ram || 500Gb Hitachi (donated from a old PS3 (120Gb Sandisk SSDNow Died))  ||

3 hours ago, 13hanifz said:

U STILL WOULD NOT NEED ALL THAT POWAAAAAAAAAAAAAR :P

Okay thanks