To Noctua or not to Noctua?

TheRomanSenate

I'm going for a quieter solution than the stock non-rubber (Corsair SP 120) x (3xCorsair SP 140). So recently I've been looking at the industrial NF-F12 and NF-F14 online and debating if the switch would be worth it. I have to keep in mind that I won't be able to use the rubber mount system for the front 280 radiator.

To maintain positive air pressure it's either going to be a 2x SP 140 intake to a single SP 120 + SP 140 exhaust or a 3x SP 140 intake to a single SP 120 exhaust.

(This solution is also including the blower style 3x gpu sli configuration.)

Background info:

I'm using the NZXT s340

1162486-9.jpg

The industrial fans perform well, but are loud as they are able to spin very fast. If you want a quiet solution, go for Noctua's standard fans.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

always noctua hehe,

just wanna point out that the amount of fans do not matter for positive air pressure.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

Just now, Goat said:

The industrial fans perform well, but are loud as they are able to spin very fast. If you want a quiet solution, go for Noctua's standard fans.

I also might have an issue with noctua's typical fan color... I'm okay with noise under load, I'm looking for lower idle noise. I appreciate the suggestion though. 

Just now, wildthing said:

always noctua hehe,

just wanna point out that the amount of fans do not matter for positive air pressure.

How so? I want to ensure that in a non-perforated case like mine that airflow is constant, and as plenty of people have already pointed out increasing intake over exhaust creates positive air pressure. I'd like to hear what you have to say about the subject though. Since It might influence my decision.

5 minutes ago, TheRomanSenate said:

I also might have an issue with noctua's typical fan color... I'm okay with noise under load, I'm looking for lower idle noise. I appreciate the suggestion though. 

My 6 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 and 2 Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 2000 run at around 750 RPM (all of them, although note that they can spin slower than that) at idle and it's pretty quiet for me. My D5 pump at speed setting of 3 sounds louder than my fans. Although some people find different noise levels as their "quiet".

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

1 minute ago, TheRomanSenate said:

How so? I want to ensure that in a non-perforated case like mine that airflow is constant, and as plenty of people have already pointed out increasing intake over exhaust creates positive air pressure. I'd like to hear what you have to say about the subject though. Since It might influence my decision.

Just now, TheRomanSenate said:

well what allot of people think in general is that the more fans you ahve as intake = prositive air presure wich is true if ALL fans are running at the same RPM!

i'm saying you can have 2 intake fans and 3 exhaust and still have positive airpresure by running the 2 intake fans at higher rpm then the 3 exhaust fans, so the 2 intake fans move more hair IN then the 3 can exhaust.

also you might wanna check out the fractal design Venturi fans like the HF-12 HF-14 / HP -12 pwm HP-14 pwm. 

from what i have heard they are pretty good and quiet fans

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

1 minute ago, Interfectorem said:

My 6 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 and 2 Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 2000 run at around 750 RPM (all of them, although note that they can spin slower than that) at idle and it's pretty quiet for me. My D5 pump at speed setting of 3 sounds louder than my fans. Although some people find different noise levels as their "quiet".

The current Corsair stock SP 120 and 140's are riding 800 rpm at idle.

21 minutes ago, Goat said:

I have two iPPC fans on my H100i. I never hear them. I've never heard them when my computer was in my Enthoo Pro either.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

title should be "to noctua or to notua" instead, much better

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

title should be "to noctua or to notua" instead, much better

missed opportunity :(

Just now, TheRomanSenate said:

missed opportunity :(

extremely, i was really disappointed. you are a let down to everyone on the forum... nah jk just make sure to change it  if you can, not sure if you can but put it in your signature or something if you want :P also yes, get noctua. there awesome. look like shit, literally, if you dont get the special ones for some more money but there really good

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I've got two iPPC NF-A14's on my H110i-GT and they're dead silent compared to anything else I've used. I definitely recommend Noctua.

By the way, how the hell are you running a triple-SLI setup on Z97?

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

5 hours ago, Goat said:

You could also try the new 24V versions, they run slow and quiet in 12V PC environments!

4 hours ago, oriol said:

You could also try the new 24V versions, they run slow and quiet in 12V PC environments!

That was the plan originally.