If I currently have this build:

Intel Core i5 4460

ASUS Z97-Deluxe

Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4GB

and I change to this build:

Intel Core i5 6600K

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB

Will I see much performance improvement, and is it worth the extra cash?

No it is not.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

you don't need to ask at all, it's just too obvious that you're going to get more horse power

Nah, kinda waste of money. i5 to i7 would've been a better choice, just a haswell.

1 minute ago, Cereal_Killer said:

Intel Core i5 4460

ASUS Z97-Deluxe

Intel Core i5 6600K

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Yes, just get a cheaper board you don't need a Maximus at this budget, a Z170A is more than enough. There is the option to get a i5 6500 with a B150/H110/H150 board as well which should be cheaper than the 6600k.

And why are you getting a Z97 board with a i5 4460? You can't overclock it.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Just now, ZetZet said:

No it is not.

and why not, a new unlocked cpu, less power consumption, more features thanks to skylake and a better igpu

You will see a performance difference for the cpu, as the 6600k is faster and can be overclocked. The motherboard will not affect performance, just features and expandability. If those are unnecessary for you, save some money by getting a cheaper motherboard. As for your ram, speed does not really affect performance. 16gb of ram will get you some more frame in certain games like the Witcher 3 and is good for editing, but 8gb is more than enough if you are purely gaming.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

Yes, just get a cheaper board you don't need a Maximus at this budget, a Z170A is more than enough. There is the option to get a i5 6500 with a B150/H110/H150 board as well which should be cheaper than the 6600k.

And why are you getting a Z97 board with a i5 4460? You can't overclock it.

1. I do not have a budget

2. I want a Z97 board because it has other very useful things such as M.2 slot, or Wi-Fi, which most H97 and others don't have

4 minutes ago, Cereal_Killer said:

Intel Core i5 4460

ASUS Z97-Deluxe

Intel Core i5 6600K

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

not worth it to upgrade tbh.... stay with the i5 4460. unless you want to overclock....

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

2 minutes ago, Remon Salazar said:

and why not, a new unlocked cpu, less power consumption, more features thanks to skylake and a better igpu

insane amount of money... he asked is if it's worth it.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Just now, Cereal_Killer said:

1. I do not have a budget

2. I want a Z97 board because it has other very useful things such as M.2 slot, or Wi-Fi, which most H97 and others don't have

The budget would be better spent on a i7 4790K or a better GPU than fancy features. You can get Wifi with a USB dongle no need for a motherboard that directly supports it.

Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Remon Salazar said:

"No it's not" was a response to the question "is it worth the extra cash". There will obviously be a performance increase, but paying 500$ for all the goodies just to get 15% increase might not be worth it.

Just now, ZetZet said:

insane amount of money... he asked is if it's worth it.

It depends on where he lives though, in certain places skylake is not low in stock and thus around the same price as haswell.

Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

It depends on where he lives though, in certain places skylake is not low in stock and thus around the same price as haswell.

yes, but he already has haswell so it's basically throwing one system away to get another one like it

better off upgrading gpu or something

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

I already have the RAM and the CPU, I don't know whether to change the board (I want to buy lots of new stuff, including a new GPU and a new PSU, etc. and my current board is a very bare H87, which doesn't have all the goodies I want) or get a whole new CPU and RAM and motherboard.

It seems like a new board will be better, no need to spend 6000 kr (about 600$) for very little performance increase in games and general use

1 minute ago, ZetZet said:

yes, but he already has haswell so it's basically throwing one system away to get another one like it

better off upgrading gpu or something

1 minute ago, Cereal_Killer said:

I already have the RAM and the CPU, I don't know whether to change the board (I want to buy lots of new stuff, including a new GPU and a new PSU, etc. and my current board is a very bare H87, which doesn't have all the goodies I want) or get a whole new CPU and RAM and motherboard.

It seems like a new board will be better, no need to spend 6000 kr (about 600$) for very little performance increase in games and general use

No reason to upgrade then if you already have it, 4 physical core and very good IPC. Few games will give a benefit out of that.

Pascal laptops guide

3 minutes ago, Cereal_Killer said:

get a 1231v3 xeon while there are some, better than 6600k and will be much cheaper

if you really want to upgrade

Spoiler

There really is no reason to upgrade. If he wanted new board processor etc. to burn money he'd be better off going X99

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

3 minutes ago, Cereal_Killer said:

Prices in the shop I want to buy stuff in:

i5 4690K - 2389 kr (200$)

i5 6600K - 2290 kr (200$)

i7 4790K - 3389 kr (300$)

i7 6700K - 3589 kr (310$)

xeon 1231v3?

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, Cereal_Killer said:

First rtIf I currently have this build:

Intel Core i5 4460

ASUS Z97-Deluxe

Intel Core i5 6600K

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

First thing , you will not see monster increase in performance. If current PC is working fine than i will not recommend to buy new one right now.

second , your new build is looking like you have lot of money and want to waste it. If i am in place of you than i will cut the price of mother board and look forward to spend more money on CPU and GPU. For ex by cutting the price of Maximus to Asus Z170 pro gaming, and spending more on i7 or better GPU. Another thing is that if you are building a gaming PC , you will not see monster increase in gaming performance on i7 over  i5. i5 is enough for gaming because most games use only up to 4 cores.

1 hour ago, Matias_Chambers said:

You live in Denmark? I do to.

In Sweden, not Denmark.

1 hour ago, ZetZet said:

xeon 1231v3?

Not available in that particular shop, but price in other shops is around 2700 kr, so about 250$

1 hour ago, Matias_Chambers said:

That's pointless, paing extra 100$ for i7 which I don't even need.