Paranoid after my brother gotten a virus in his PC

freexavier

Right now, I scared of what might come. My brother gotten a virus on his PC that corrupted many of his files. So right now I'm scared of losing all of my data on my PC. Scared to have my PC restart or idle by. I have a lot of files that I have worked on, and I'm scared that I might lose them in a flash if I make a wrong move, since my OS is an SSD, the virus can execute itself quickly without warning. I have create some mods and other content that were hard to create and their too big in total to backup.

About my brothers virus, it happened when he installed a program and after he restarted his PC, starting up longer than usual. And when it fully booted up, all his files got corrupted and has some kind of program running that he can't stop.

The reason why I'm scared is because we have this thing enabled in our Network settings, being Homegroup sharing. I have disabled it of fear that I might contract the virus.

Any precautions that I need to do in order to void getting this virus? I already check several areas of settings if anything suspicious is happening, but everything seems normal.

Edit Update:

Looks like every thing is fine, after restarting my PC to install a newer driver. Everything seems to be in order, but at least what came out of this out come, was that I as able to backup many of my important files, which I will continue to do so.

Specs: [CPU: Intel i5-4570(Clock to 3.6Ghz)] [GPU: Dual-X R9 270x 2GB] [RAM: x1 HyperX Blu 8GB 1600] [OS: Win8.1]

Just now, freexavier said:

. Scared to have my PC restart or idle by. I have a lot of files that I have worked on, and I'm scared that I might lose them in a flash if I make a wrong move,

This is why you should have back ups

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

This is why you should have back ups

That is what I'm doing at the moment, backing up small, but important files.

Specs: [CPU: Intel i5-4570(Clock to 3.6Ghz)] [GPU: Dual-X R9 270x 2GB] [RAM: x1 HyperX Blu 8GB 1600] [OS: Win8.1]

Run Malwarebytes. You might also want to boot your brothers PC in safe mod and run Malwarebytes (the safe mode version) there too.

Spoiler

Everyday build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960x - GPU(s): 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX2.0+ (SLI) - Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X99 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR4 4x8GB (2666MHz) - Storage: Intel 750 Series 1.2TB + 4TB WD Black - Case: Corsair 760T White - PSU: SeaSonic 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Wireless Adapter: TP-Link Archer T9E - Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB - Mouse(s): Corsair Gaming M65 RGB + Logitech MX Master - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WhyK99 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/474247-r8-my-build/

Weekend build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5930k - GPU(s): 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified ACX2.0+ (SLI) - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 - Motherboard: ASUS X99-Deluxe - RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 4x8GB (2666MHz) - Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 & 2TB Samsung 850 Evo - Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv - PSU: SeaSonic SnowSilent 1050W 80+ Platinum Certified - OS: Windows 10 Home - Monitor: Dell S2716DG 144hz - Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB - Mouse: Corsair Gaming M65 RGB - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YYK93C

Since his pc is infected and corrupted already, might as well turn it off and unplug it from the network. Try your best to backup what you can on your PC to an external hard drive or something, and make sure that hard drive doesn't connect to the network afterward. An antivirus doesn't hurt but tbh they don't work too well most of the time.

Aside from that there's not much I can think of off the top of my head, good luck

Just now, cortexcortex said:

Run Malwarebytes. You might also want to boot your brothers PC in safe mod and run Malwarebytes (the safe mode version) there too.

Will do.

Also, right now, he plans to reset his PC and clear his harddrive completely, so I think I won't need to do that.

Just now, ExcaliburVII said:

Since his pc is infected and corrupted already, might as well turn it off and unplug it from the network. Try your best to backup what you can on your PC to an external hard drive or something, and make sure that hard drive doesn't connect to the network afterward. An antivirus doesn't hurt but tbh they don't work too well most of the time.

Aside from that there's not much I can think of off the top of my head, good luck

His PC is right now isolated, and will being a full PC reset and clearing of his drives.

Just now, freexavier said:

Will do.

Also, right now, he plans to reset his PC and clear his harddrive completely, so I think I won't need to do that.

His PC is right now isolated, and will being a full PC reset and clearing of his drives.

That sounds pretty good then.

1 minute ago, freexavier said:

That is what I'm doing at the moment, backing up small, but important files.

how much data are you talking about? use google drive or something? 15Gb free space? also it's very unlikely that it's such a virus that it can come thru homegroup and to your pc and execute by itself, i don't think so. your brother is an idiot for downloading shady shit and running it without any thought. iv never gotten virus on my pc, iv downloaded some but i never blindingly ran them.

2 minutes ago, ben dover kid said:

how much data are you talking about? use google drive or something? 15Gb free space? also it's very unlikely that it's such a virus that it can come thru homegroup and to your pc and execute by itself, i don't think so. your brother is an idiot for downloading shady shit and running it without any thought. iv never gotten virus on my pc, iv downloaded some but i never blindingly ran them.

About 20Gb to 40Gb of data, due to mods I have created. And yea, he gets twitchy in things and do a lot of things without much thought.