Replacement PSU for NAS PC

Hello

I am looking for some advise on a replacement power supply for my NAS PC.

The PSU has died (very smelly!) and assuming (and hoping) it hasn't killed anything else in the machine I need to replace it.

It was rather old so perhaps it was just that but I wanted to check before I bought a replacement if there is any good practice for buying a PSU which will be powering a number of drives. (12+)

I should probably give some more information. I think the old was was a 500W PSU. The machine is an i3 with 4GB of RAM running WS 2012 R2 sole purpose it as a Plex Media Server. It has 7 (i think) internal 3.5" drives (will be adding more) and 3 USB external drives (Until I can afford more internal)

Thanks

another 500w should be more than enough probably get away with a 450w or 300w especially if there's no gpu any thing with a 80+ rating guessing that you have it on 24/7? try this one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Builder-Series-Modular-Certified/dp/B00ALYP208/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406568945&sr=8-1&keywords=cx430m

I lurk a lot

Hi Peej

Thanks very much

Yes 24/7 operation. Going semi modular is rather tempting....

450W will be fine ;) I use Bequiet 350W PSU in my server but with 6 drives

Main;Ryzen 2700X, ASROCK X370 KillerSLI,48GB DDR4 2933Mhz, Sapphire 5700XT Pulse,CM SilentPro M2 720W+Fractal Core 3000, Philips 346P1CRH
Server1: Atermiter X99,Intel Xeon E5-2650LV3 12core,56GB DDR4 RDIMM 2133Mhz
Denon AVC-A11XV|UDM-PRO|Zyxel XGS1930-28

Get sth like the Super Flower Golden Green HX 450W or a seasonic. The problem with so many drives is the powerdraw at the spin up so I would go 400w or more