Difference between z170 Pro Gaming and z170-a

mcfloxxx
Go to solution Solved by tbsgbhrdt,

Both are REALLY good motherboards (ASUS FTW!). The A has got an additional PCI slot (yes some folks, me included, still use those), the Pro Gaming has got 2 more CPU power phases, the A has got one fan connector more, the Pro GAming has got the better sound chip and 2 USB 3.0 more. I think the Pro Gaming is the better one but those differences are just minor.

What is the difference between the z170 Pro gaming and the z170-a, and what is the difference between SupremeFX and Crystal Sound 3. Also I wanna know if I can use USB 3.0 and 3.1 ports for USB 2.0 devices.

Thanks

There are various differences and would be best to just compare their feature set side by side on a site like newegg, or by doing a product comparison on the manufacture's website.  In all honesty, the difference are pretty minor, and you probably wouldn't even fully utilize them or notice.  For example, one supports slightly faster RAM, different PCI/E slot configuration, audio chipset version, etc etc...

And, yes, USB 3.0 is backwards compatible and 2.0 devices will work on 3.0 ports.

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

Both are REALLY good motherboards (ASUS FTW!). The A has got an additional PCI slot (yes some folks, me included, still use those), the Pro Gaming has got 2 more CPU power phases, the A has got one fan connector more, the Pro GAming has got the better sound chip and 2 USB 3.0 more. I think the Pro Gaming is the better one but those differences are just minor.

AMD FX-6100 @4.2GHz / Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ 8GB / Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 / Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz 8GB / Adata S510 128GB / Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB / Alpenföhn Brocken ECO /  EVGA GQ 650 / Fractal Design Core 2500 / Fractal Design Venturi HF Fans / 

"It's like a fish with no internet" -Linus Sebastian, 2016

The Pro Gamings Sound Chip is a bit better. It has got more capacitors and it't is shielded a bit better. All USB plugs (except type C) are backwards compatible. 

AMD FX-6100 @4.2GHz / Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ 8GB / Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 / Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz 8GB / Adata S510 128GB / Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB / Alpenföhn Brocken ECO /  EVGA GQ 650 / Fractal Design Core 2500 / Fractal Design Venturi HF Fans / 

Thanks, I think that I will go with the pro gaming because i don't think i am going to use the additional PCIE slot and for Fans I've got the PWM hub included in the NZXT n450. Also it's good to have better sound and you can't do anything wrong with 2 extra USB ports.

Right decision imo