Question about my MSI GTX 980 TI 6G Gaming

JHyunS06

Hello, 

I have MSI GTX 980 Ti on my rig at the moment. 

When I run GTA V it reaches MAX temp of 87 degrees. 

Is this normal for GTX 980 Ti or does my card is running abnormally hot?

Please let me know. 

Thanks.

That's a bit too hot to be honest, even the reference GTX 980Ti only reaches about 85C (Albeit with thermal throttling). What are your fan speeds when gaming? That could be the culprit. I would recommend downloading MSI Afterburner (If you don't have it already) and setting your own custom fan curve.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Since GTA is more VRAM intensive, perhaps that's what's overheating. Also, please state what software you are using to check this temperature - some give a "card" reading and individual card component readings.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

For an MSI Gaming card that is too hot. Does your case have good airflow?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

This is how inside of my case look like. 

I am using CAM software from NZXT. 

My fan speeds are running at 100% too..

44 minutes ago, FireFox said:

For an MSI Gaming card that is too hot. Does your case have good airflow?

1 hour ago, Crowes said:

Since GTA is more VRAM intensive, perhaps that's what's overheating. Also, please state what software you are using to check this temperature - some give a "card" reading and individual card component readings.

1 hour ago, Interfectorem said:

That's a bit too hot to be honest, even the reference GTX 980Ti only reaches about 85C (Albeit with thermal throttling). What are your fan speeds when gaming? That could be the culprit. I would recommend downloading MSI Afterburner (If you don't have it already) and setting your own custom fan curve.

1 hour ago, Dark_wizzie said:

Your card ran like, 5C hotter than mine back when I had the stock cooler. 

IMG_3132.JPG

The case setup looks good

(Personally) I would remove the middle drive cage for better air flow.

I agree with Interfectorem, check the fan speed with Afterburner,

possibly try maxing out the fan speed and leaving the side door off on the case to eliminate any possible interior heat issues

Finally, if that doesn't work, contact MSI, see if they'll let your reapply the thermal paste(I recommend notua NT-H1)

if they won't, see about getting the card RMA'ed, because at stock speeds that cooler should keep the card below 70c(imo)

Here's a review from Guru3d on the card and their tests were showing 72 deg C under maximum load.

Review ---Here---

6 minutes ago, Maxxtraxx said:

Here's a review from Guru3d on the card and their tests were showing 72 deg C under maximum load.

Review ---Here---

Do they do their tests on a test bench or in a case? 

My card (exact same as yours) goes up to around 76-77 degrees. I think my case has a bit better ventilation than yours appears to have. One thing you could try is flipping your PSU so it pulls air out of the case instead of pulling fresh air. It is in a good spot to remove heat from the graphics card.

16 minutes ago, Maxxtraxx said:

Thanks for the detailed advise. 

The retailer I bought my card is offering exchange to this card to EVGA hybrid. I think I still have to pay the price difference of the two but I think I am going to take this offer. 

What do you think?

3 minutes ago, swordsm3n said:

So you think that I need more power on exhaust right?

I am going to upgrade current exhaust fan ( Noctua A12 PWM ) to Noctua A14 FLX which offers better air flow with same/similar noise level.

Or before that I could try to flip the PSU like what you said. 

Thank you for the advice :)

I think you just need better ventilation overall. I would do like maxxtraxx said and remove the unused cage. That is where your cool air is coming from and it is partially blocked. I only use m.2 and SSDs so I have no cages in my case. I also have the PSU flipped. I personally think it is a ventilation issue and probably not the card. It is a beefy card and will produce heat, it just needs somewhere to go. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck

44 minutes ago, JHyunS06 said:

Thanks for the detailed advise. 

The retailer I bought my card is offering exchange to this card to EVGA hybrid. I think I still have to pay the price difference of the two but I think I am going to take this offer. 

What do you think?

So you think that I need more power on exhaust right?

I am going to upgrade current exhaust fan ( Noctua A12 PWM ) to Noctua A14 FLX which offers better air flow with same/similar noise level.

Or before that I could try to flip the PSU like what you said. 

Thank you for the advice :)

YES!!! the EVGA hybrid model has some of the best temperature and noise characteristics of any of the card options.

I'm running an EVGA hybrid and I really like it! I swapped out the stock fan for my own, as the rad fan was not up to par for my tastes.

19 hours ago, swordsm3n said:

I think you just need better ventilation overall. I would do like maxxtraxx said and remove the unused cage. That is where your cool air is coming from and it is partially blocked. I only use m.2 and SSDs so I have no cages in my case. I also have the PSU flipped. I personally think it is a ventilation issue and probably not the card. It is a beefy card and will produce heat, it just needs somewhere to go. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck

Ok. I am going to try to mount 3 drive cage on the top and remove the 5 drive cage one. 

And possibly flip the PSU as well. I will update this thread on how it turned out!

Thanks a lot for the help. 

18 hours ago, Maxxtraxx said:

YES!!! the EVGA hybrid model has some of the best temperature and noise characteristics of any of the card options.

I'm running an EVGA hybrid and I really like it! I swapped out the stock fan for my own, as the rad fan was not up to par for my tastes.

Nice to know :)

Is your card OCed at the moment?

What what fan did you get?

19 hours ago, JHyunS06 said:

IMG_3132.JPG

son, you have absolutely ZERO air intake on that...no fans pushing air to your graphic card...no wonder it run hot...remove the middle HDD rack and instal fans there instead! Install another fan on the floor of your case right next to your psu pusing air into the card...this will help a lot too.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

34 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

son, you have absolutely ZERO air intake on that...no fans pushing air to your graphic card...no wonder it run hot...remove the middle HDD rack and instal fans there instead! Install another fan on the floor of your case right next to your psu pusing air into the card...this will help a lot too.

Actually, it's a fractal design r5. There is at least 1 140mm fan in the front that comes factory and space for 2 140mm fans The fans mount from the front and are behind the front case door. If you look closely you can see it peaking out behind the middle drive cage.

43 minutes ago, JHyunS06 said:

Ok. I am going to try to mount 3 drive cage on the top and remove the 5 drive cage one. 

And possibly flip the PSU as well. I will update this thread on how it turned out!

Thanks a lot for the help. 

Nice to know :)

Is your card OCed at the moment?

What what fan did you get?

Actually.. I would leave the 3 drive cage in that spot and just remove the 5 drive cage since your fan is mounted behind the 5 drive cage at the moment.

Also, fyi there are 2 2.5inch drive mounts behind the motherboard if you want to move the ssd back there for more 3.5inch drive space.

The best place to add a fan for more graphics card air flow would be on the bottom of the case in front of the psu.

I replaced the stock evga fan with fractal dynamic GP-12 ---here--- my personal favorite fans.

Mine is overclocked at the moment with a custom bios to allow for higher voltages and power limit. Currently running over 1500mhz and under 70 deg C at full load.