CPU Temperature way too high?

N7_RiZe

Here is my other topic of me and some people giving me troubleshooting help: 

In this I've think i've found the problem to my PC just shutting off.

My new i7 4790k is running at 91'C in the BIOS Menu 
and what im thinking is it's over heating and shutting off my PC but also is it the chip or the stock fan causing it.
Today i thought 'would my desk fan help so i can keep my pc on long enough to fix this issue?' Well right now as im typing this it's at 98'C to 100'C with (The Desk fan on) nothing but HWMonitor, Chrome and Skype. And without the desk fan the pc just shuts off after 4 or so minutes after logging in 
I'm using the stock cooler which came with the i7.
I don't usually have a hot room as i never have my radiators on and the fact i live in the north west of the UK doesn't make it 100'C. 
Extra info my pc has been running fine for 4 hours with the desk fan but a stable average of 99'C but lowest 89'C

What ive done so far:

Update my BIOS 
checked hardware issues (none from what i see)

What should I do to resolve this issue as having a desk fan on all the time dosen't help.

Cheers!

holy fucking shit stop that shit right now that's way way waywaywaywyawyawyyawyyaywaywywyyaywyyawyyaw too fucking high.

you should never be exceeding 80-85c

check the mounting for the stock cooler, something is very wrong.

make sure there's thermal compound, if not place it,

make sure the heatsink is making contact with the cpu,

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Just now, Atmos said:

holy fucking shit stop that shit right now that's way way waywaywaywyawyawyyawyyaywaywywyyaywyyawyyaw too fucking high.

Yeah, lol your temperature is WAY to high.  :o

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

Laptop:   Razer Blade Stealth 2016

What cooler do you have because if it is not mounted properly or you have no or too much thermal paste on it it can cause high temps. However it could be a faulty sensor on the motherboard giving you the 100°C temps. If it seems to  be not that hot. What you could do is shut the PC down and fell the heatsink and see I'd it's hot or not.

| Ryzen 7 3700x | 16GB Vengance @ 3200 | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming | 

| ADATA XPG SX8000NP 256GB Nvme SSD + WD Blue 500GB SSD | 4TB WD Blue |

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |

wow right ill turn it off now and have a look!!

3 minutes ago, Atmos said:

2 minutes ago, ShadowDeity said:

Yeah, lol your temperature is WAY to high.  :o

1 minute ago, Mattboxer2000 said:

What cooler do you have because if it is not mounted properly or you have no or too much thermal paste on it it can cause high temps. However it could be a faulty sensor on the motherboard giving you the 100°C temps as it would have normaly shut down by then to protect the CPU.

Also thermal paste wise im using the stuff that was on the i7's stock cooler/.

1 minute ago, N7_RiZe said:

wow right ill turn it off now and have a look!!

Also thermal paste wise im using the stuff that was on the i7's stock cooler/.

Wipe off that default garbage from the heatsink and cpu, then use a pea-sized drop of some real thermal compound to replace it. Make sure all four posts on the heatsink are securely locked into the motherboard, you should hear each one click once you press it into the hole.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

1 minute ago, Atmos said:

Wipe off that default garbage from the heatsink and cpu, then use a pea-sized drop of some real thermal compound to replace it. Make sure all four posts on the heatsink are securely locked into the motherboard, you should hear each one click once you press it into the hole.

Lucky how I ordered some cooler master thermal paste with it!
Ok ill apply it now

1 minute ago, N7_RiZe said:

Lucky how I ordered some cooler master thermal paste with it!
Ok ill apply it now

It sounds stupid but did you push the clips down? I forgot to do that and was getting 99 degrees Celsius. Just in case it's as simple as that :D 

Did the cooler make adequate contact with the cpu? Most issues like these happen because the cooler is not making full contact with the cpu. The max temps I got with a stock cooler is about 80c on my 4690k.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

Thank you all for the sudden help I'll make sure ill do what you have all told me to do! 
at the moment i'm waiting for it to cool down as I don't want test if it's safe to touch.

15 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Aren't i7's with a stock cooler tend to overheat more than an i7 with an aftermarket cooler? 

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

1 minute ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Aren't i7's with a stock cooler tend to overheat more than an i7 with an aftermarket cooler? 

Reviews said they all got aftermarket coolers but they only mentioned noise but I don't mind as long as it isn't too loud

Just now, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

They don't overheat by default, that's the problem.

Sure with the stock cooler they do get hot (70-80), but the safety features integrated into it by force should mean it never gets past 90 while running, it should power down at that point, but not before undervolting to hell and back.

And not all aftermarket coolers are better than the stock, I can name quite a few that are worse actually xD 

2 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

My 4770K sat at around 50 degrees doing light stuff with the stock cooler so something is definitely wrong.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

10 minutes ago, vong said:

My 4770K sat at around 50 degrees doing light stuff with the stock cooler so something is definitely wrong.

11 minutes ago, Atmos said:

They don't overheat by default, that's the problem.

Sure with the stock cooler they do get hot (70-80), but the safety features integrated into it by force should mean it never gets past 90 while running, it should power down at that point, but not before undervolting to hell and back.

And not all aftermarket coolers are better than the stock, I can name quite a few that are worse actually xD 

Didn't read the post fully...I agree it should not be reaching 90 100 degrees..that is very bad and the system should be slowing itself down like you said not shutting down

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

The problem is that they are unlocked, and the stock fans are hit and miss.  @vong Got lucky, but more people complain about it running hot due to the stock fan not working well.  Even then 91 is high.  Most stock fan whiners are pushing 60-85ish.  How you managed to his 91 is beyond me.  I'd suggest a 212 evo or a  Raijintek AIDOS Black unless you want lower temps for an OC which is like more doable with an AIO.

I don't know if I'd call it luck. I used GC Extreme thermal paste. It got pretty hot when gaming.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB