Any software for frame rate/frame time measurement after recording?

VG Docs

As a couple examples, DF and NXGamer use software to measure frame rate and frame times after recording a video. I'd assume they did this with their own software within a video editor, but there should be other (public) software that does this same thing right? 

I'm interested mainly due to its cleaner presentation (for videos) and better accuracy.

If no one can find software like this, what about what Linus and Jayztwocents use for their benchmark videos?

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Are you asking about software to see the frame rate of a recorded video?  I believe you can see that if you right click on the file and select "Properties".

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, ALwin said:

Are you asking about software to see the frame rate of a recorded video?  I believe you can see that if you right click on the file and select "Properties".

Real time frame rates that are variable, like the examples I gave.

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Like you want to measure FPS when you don't have a recording software open? Steam has their own FPS counter that you can use in Steam games. I use it.

I may or may not be understanding you question.:P

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

1 minute ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

Real time frame rates that are variable, like the examples I gave.

You're talking about GPU performance and not the frame rate of a recorded video?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, Whorax said:

Like you want to measure FPS when you don't have a recording software open? Steam has their own FPS counter that you can use in Steam games. I use it.

I'm wanting software that measures real time frame rate/frame times (like in the videos I gave examples of), in a similar presentation. 

Msi afterburnder can record both frametime and framerate. Later on in an edit you can layer those with the benchmark scene if you know what you're doing. I certainly wouln't know how ...

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

You're talking about GPU performance and not the frame rate of a recorded video?

No, look at the videos I gave examples of. They're examples of frame rate measurements after the fact.

1 minute ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

No, look at the videos I gave examples of. They're examples of frame rate after the fact.

It looks to me like they are measuring the frame rate while playing/reviewing the game and that gets recorded in the video.

If you record a video of a game running at 100 fps, and the video was recorded at 25fps, you can't analyze the video to figure out that the game was performing at 100fps.

Just now, ALwin said:

It looks to me like they are measuring the frame rate while playing/reviewing the game and that gets recorded in the video.

If you record a video of a game running at 100 fps, and the video was recorded at 25fps, you can't analyze the video to figure out that the game was performing at 100fps.

That is very true sir. I hope I didn't misunderstand the OP.
@OP you can't analyze a video file to get that data. They recorded both at the same time and overlayed them.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

thats not possible

videos have a constant framerate

what you need to do is measure the frame time WHILE recording the video, then overlay the frame time graph on the video during editing

you cannot extract the game frame times from a video file

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

13 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Msi afterburnder can record both frametime and framerate. Later on in an edit you can layer those with the benchmark scene if you know what you're doing. I certainly wouln't know how ...

9 minutes ago, ALwin said:

6 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

That is very true sir. I hope I didn't misunderstand the OP.
@OP you can't analyze a video file to get that data. They recorded both at the same time and overlayed them.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

thats not possible

videos have a constant framerate

what you need to do is measure the frame time WHILE recording the video, then overlay the frame time graph on the video during editing

you cannot extract the game frame times from a video file

Unless I'm misunderstanding, that's not entirely true (based on one of the guys that does these frame rate videos)

Edit: Though I guess my memory of that video was a bit off, didn't remember that he used a second PC to do raw capture

Just now, Trogdor8freebird said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding, that's not entirely true (based on one of the guys that does these frame rate videos)

go ahead and show me a variable framerate recording software then

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

go ahead and show me a variable framerate recording software then

That's the point of this thread... to find out what people (like the person I linked to) use

6 minutes ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

Edit: Though I guess my memory of that video was a bit off, didn't remember that he used a second PC to do raw capture

The guy in your example video doesn't say he is analyzing a recorded video. Looks more like he is analyzing the frame rate as he plays the game.  Not after the video has been recorded.

2 minutes ago, ALwin said:

The guy in your example video doesn't say he is analyzing a recorded video. Looks more like he is analyzing the frame rate as he plays the game.  Not after the video has been recorded.

Okay, but with what? He mentions that afterburner and fraps are inaccurate (a few seconds prior to what I timestamp linked it) while playing the game

7 hours ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

Okay, but with what? He mentions that afterburner and fraps are inaccurate (a few seconds prior to what I timestamp linked it) while playing the game

I thought Fraps was the standard. If not you could use Shadowplay (or whatever it's called now). That's always worked well enough for me. Steam also has a built in FPS counter but that's not always an option.

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

Fraps can do both,

also you can run a frame counter while recording by using screen recording software that allows for recording game plays

20 hours ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

As a couple examples, DF and NXGamer use software to measure frame rate and frame times after recording a video. I'd assume they did this with their own software within a video editor, but there should be other (public) software that does this same thing right? 

I'm interested mainly due to its cleaner presentation (for videos) and better accuracy.

If no one can find software like this, what about what Linus and Jayztwocents use for their benchmark videos?

You should be able to playback your video in VLC and check your video's framerate by looking at the codec information through that. 

EDIT: Nevermind, I misunderstood. I'm going to assume that they had software running while recording that monitored that in realtime, and then edited in some sort of feed from that software?

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

37 minutes ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

You should be able to playback your video in VLC and check your video's framerate by looking at the codec information through that. 

EDIT: Nevermind, I misunderstood. I'm going to assume that they had software running while recording that monitored that in realtime, and then edited in some sort of feed from that software?

Yeah, I think that's the case. I think he uses the software called "FCAT" by nvidia. I'm not really sure how to use that though.

FRAPS records your screen AND counts FPS and you can choose the option to record without the FPS counter in the corner of the screen.

6 hours ago, JUJUJU655624667 said:

FRAPS records your screen AND counts FPS and you can choose the option to record without the FPS counter in the corner of the screen.

Thanks, but that's not what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for something that can present frame times. Also something with a nice presentation like in the videos I linked to which involves something entirely separate from normal game recording software.