Hardware raid vs software raid

what is hardware raid and what is software raid and what are the benefits of each

software raid is raid that is managed by software

hardware raid uses dedicated hardware and processing chips either on a PCI card or on a server motherboard

software raid on consumer motherboards is crap and fails very often, every few days someone new comes to LTT forums asking for help because windows stops booting or something and its becuase they used software raid on their consumer motherboard

hardware raid is a lot more expensive but a lot safer

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

hardware raid is a lot more expensive but a lot safer

Good hardware RAID is much more expensive, but then there's the cheap PCIe cards that are worse than software RAID.

Almost as cool as my temps  

This has probably been asked many times - but do you have any suggestions on a decent but not overly priced raid card? I'm talking like < $200 CAD

The Internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

3 hours ago, TinkleMyWinkle said:

This has probably been asked many times - but do you have any suggestions on a decent but not overly priced raid card? I'm talking like < $200 CAD

I think at that pricepoint, you'd be better off hunting for a used RAID card on ebay (You can tell it's decent if it has it's own dedicated RAM cache and a on board RAID battery). The entry level RAID cards (Like the LSI 9240 series and down or those really sketchy sounding off brand RAID cards) usually don't have either and aren't much better than running the onboard controller on your motherboard (You just get more ports / they still rely on the CPU / system RAM to run / speed will drop since there's no onboard cache). Yeah, you need the onboard battery with RAID cards, if the power goes out, you risk losing whatever data was supposed to be written to the drives.