Swap my processor (i5 4690k) with my brothers (i7 4790), for free.

Do I swap my overclocked i5 for a locked i7 for free?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do I swap my overclocked i5 for a locked i7 for free?

• Yes
    • No

Hey everyone.

Here's a quick one for you to chew through.

My brother is thinking of selling his PC since he doesn't use it anymore and want to return to consoles, more importantly, the inferior Xbox One.

My brother is not technologically advanced and knows little to nothing about computers. So when he said hes going to sell his computer, I asked:

"Can I swap my i5 with your i7?" and he responded with Yes.

EDIT: i5 not i6 - those don't exist...yet

But do I do it though?

My i5 is an unlocked 4690k that is rock solid stable at 4.8GHz at 1.3v

My brothers i7 is a 4790 that can not be overclocked.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my i5, but I'm thinking that the i7, while not overclock-able would be better for me, since I want the extra virtual threads as I will be doing a computer games dev course soon.

But I also do other things as well, such as gaming, video editing/recording, mess with VMs from time to time. 

Please help me decided, thanks.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

2 minutes ago, Alexp10v2 said:

Hey everyone.

My brother is thinking of selling his PC since he doesn't use it anymore and want to return to consoles, more importantly, the inferior Xbox One.

My brother is not technologically advanced and knows little to nothing about computers. So when he said hes going to sell his computer, I asked:

"Can I swap my i6 with your i7?" and he responded with Yes.

But do I do it though?

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my i5, but I'm thinking that the i7, while not overclock-able would be better for me, since I want the extra virtual threads as I will be doing a computer games dev course soon.

But I also do other things as well, such as gaming, video editing/recording, mess with VMs from time to time. 

DO IT, the 4790 has 8 threads yours only has 4. It doesnt matter if you overclock the crap out of that 4690k it will never match the performance of that 4790.

Current Build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.6, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz 8gb (2x4gb), GTX 980ti, NZXT Kraken X61, Fractal Define R5  EVGA Supernova B2 850w, Some 300gb hard drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W7CNrH

Yes by far. Swap 'em.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

5 minutes ago, Alexp10v2 said:

Hey everyone.

"Can I swap my i5 with your i7?" and he responded with Yes.

EDIT: i5 not i6 - those don't exist...yet

But do I do it though?

Yes, Yes YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Swap it ofc.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

1 hour ago, Dr_Pleeper said:

DO IT, the 4790 has 8 threads yours only has 4. It doesnt matter if you overclock the crap out of that 4690k it will never match the performance of that 4790.

Sorry, but this statement is completely Wrong.

By that Logik, an i5 could never match the Performance of an AMD FX 83xx CPU.

On 4.8 Ghz it will surely be difficult to notice any difference in most scenarios.

- When HyperThreading can be used, your i5 will calculate much faster due to much higher clock speed. Which is like 30%+ Faster per Core.

- HyperThreading, when it can be fully used, brings you maybe 30-40% more performance, at BEST.

So, on situations, where HTT can be used, your i5 still wont be slower. Because it will be just faster per Core.

On situations where HTT cant be used, it will be even more faster.

The ONLY Thing, where the i7 would be better is Multitasking. If you do multiple things. Like, 4 Cores are busy doing something, you still have the virtual Cores to do some minor stuff at the background.

It just depends what applications you use. Most Games will run better with an 4,8 Ghz i5, than an 3,5 Ghz i7.

3 hours ago, Darkseth said:

On 4.8 Ghz it will surely be difficult to notice any difference in most scenarios.

- When HyperThreading can be used, your i5 will calculate much faster due to much higher clock speed. Which is like 30%+ Faster per Core.

- HyperThreading, when it can be fully used, brings you maybe 30-40% more performance, at BEST.

So, on situations, where HTT can be used, your i5 still wont be slower. Because it will be just faster per Core.

The ONLY Thing, where the i7 would be better is Multitasking. If you do multiple things. Like, 4 Cores are busy doing something, you still have the virtual Cores to do some minor stuff at the background.

It just depends what applications you use. Most Games will run better with an 4,8 Ghz i5, than an 3,5 Ghz i7.

You can't compare the FX line to the Haswell line in this type of statement, the IPC in the two haswell chips is the same so it's a much simpler comparison.

Only Rig: CPU I7 6700K @ 4.7Ghz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P | GPU GTX 1080 TI Founders Edition With Hybrid Cooler Installed | RAM G.Skill NT Series 16GB DDR4 @ 2600Mhz | CPU Heatsink Corsair H100i V2 | SSD Kingston V300 Series 240GB | SSD Generic 120GB M.2| HDD Western Digital Blue 750GB (10 years old) | HDD Seagate Barracuda 500GB | HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold | Case NZXT S340 Elite | Monitor BenQ XL2730Z 144Hz 1440P | KB Corsair K70 LUX | Mouse Logitech G402 | Headset  Logitech G933

4 hours ago, Darkseth said:

I was aware. Also *logic, *even faster.

Current Build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.6, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz 8gb (2x4gb), GTX 980ti, NZXT Kraken X61, Fractal Define R5  EVGA Supernova B2 850w, Some 300gb hard drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W7CNrH