Review my build and also question about PCI rearrangement.

xajin

Hi Guys, my first post here. I want to have my build, that I already bought, reviewed to see if there are any suggestions or tips. I'm a casual gamer and do programming for work. I want to play Witcher3, LeagueOfLegends, and StarCraft2. I did not OC anything (should I?).

MOBO: Asrock z97extreme4 ATX

CPU: i7-4790K

Coolor: Noctua NH-15

GPU: EVGA GTX970 SSC

PSU: SeaSonic Platinum SS-860XP2 860W 

RAM: EVGA 16GB 8x2 D3 2400

CASE: Fractal Define S

SSD: Crucial M500 Series 960GB

SOUND CARD: Sounder Blaster Z

WIFI CARD: TP-LINK TL-WDN4800

Monitor: Acer 28" B28HK 4k

On top of a review, I have a question about rearranging cards installed on PCIe after you already built and installed drivers. At first, I had my GTX 970 on an x8 PCIe slot and heard that it would be better to have it on the x16 slot (I was naive and thought all PCIe slots were equal). I had it the old way for about 3 months and rearranged my cards recently and noticed that my PC boots up a bit slower than usual, probably 10 seconds longer. My wifi card and sound card doesn't specify which PCIe version they are on so I stuck them in the remaining two PCIe 3.0 x8 slots. Does the order of my cards have an impact on performance?

It's fine and if you already have it thre isnb't much can be done easily or without additional cost.

The driver may be getting mixed up.. try re-install the driver (chose custom and clean install to remove the old driver completely)

Also make sure that the initial display device is set to pci-e. Other than that.. unless the os has cached where the video card is (which would be strange) there is nothing I can think of.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

9 hours ago, Dzzope said:

It's fine and if you already have it thre isnb't much can be done easily or without additional cost.

The driver may be getting mixed up.. try re-install the driver (chose custom and clean install to remove the old driver completely)

Also make sure that the initial display device is set to pci-e. Other than that.. unless the os has cached where the video card is (which would be strange) there is nothing I can think of.

So I went in the control panel and uninstalled everything with nvidia in the name and rebooted my machine. Now my monitor is black when I power on my pc. I can take out the GPU and it boots up by my monitor goes to black for a few seconds every couple seconds. I tried to install the GTX 970 driver but it errors out because I don't have the card in, and when I do put in the card my PC boots but is blank monitor. Please help.

Have you checked the initial display device in your Bios?

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..