8350FX and 980

Go to solution Solved by Luke,
5 minutes ago, Riot NoHigh5 said:

I rencently build a computer with a 8350FX and an Asus GTX 980. My question is, Does the 8350 really bottleneck the 980?

The FX 8350 will hold the 980 in back in some cases but if your performance is satisfactory then there's nothing to worry about. If you need more performance than upgrading your platform to an intel i5/i7 would be a wise choice. You could also wait until Zen as well to see how that turns out.

I rencently build a computer with a 8350FX and an Asus GTX 980. My question is, Does the 8350 really bottleneck the 980?

Riot NoHigh5/jcarlos314

980 is a pretty powerful card and no offense the 8350fx is pretty bad. I think it would but have no experience or proof to back that up...

rip flight simulators

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

In some CPU-heavy titles, yes, you will experience sub-par performance compared to if you were using like an i5 or i7 Intel based system. I would recommend for a card like that to get an i5 minimum. z97 is still a very viable and cost-effective chipset, so that would be my recommendation.

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Not really, the 8350 is powerful enough to run just about any game, so as long as you dont let it throttle back its gonna perform just fine. My 6300 can run fallout four, and if that piece of trash doesnt bottleneck on fallout four I have no doubt that the 8350 will do just fine for anything else video game related.

It wouldn't be that bad, but even overclocking the 8350 to 4.5GHZ won't make a much of a improvement. You'll still see a improvement, but not much.

Live with the 8350 for now if its fine and upgrade to Zen, Skylake, Haswell in the future when you need the extra CPU performance.

1 minute ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

Not really, the 8350 is powerful enough to run just about any game, so as long as you dont let it throttle back its gonna perform just fine. My 6300 can run fallout four, and if that piece of trash doesnt bottleneck on fallout four I have no doubt that the 8350 will do just fine for anything else video game related.

um...fallout 4 is a very dated looking game so that doesn't really say much. unless it's terribly optimized or something

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

Okay. Do I have to change my CPU with a 9370? or Change my CPU and motherboard for an Intel?. I mean, I can run War Thunder full, Fallout 4, Far Cry 4 without problems. 

Riot NoHigh5/jcarlos314

Just now, Inception9269 said:

um...fallout 4 is a very dated looking game so that doesn't really say much. unless it's terribly optimized or something

I'm not an expert, but fallout four looked really nice to me. I guess its all just personal preference.

It bottlenecks any graphics card above an R9 280X....so its not a good combination with a GTX 980.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

I'm not an expert, but fallout four looked really nice to me. I guess its all just personal preference.

It doesn't look much better than Skyrim.....

PMSL

5 minutes ago, Riot NoHigh5 said:

The FX 8350 will hold the 980 in back in some cases but if your performance is satisfactory then there's nothing to worry about. If you need more performance than upgrading your platform to an intel i5/i7 would be a wise choice. You could also wait until Zen as well to see how that turns out.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Just now, Dabombinable said:

It doesn't look much better than Skyrim.....

That's not the truth, with the lighting and textures up to ultra it looks fantastic!

You lose a couple of frames on average compared to an i7, but in most AAA titles you're fine, you might have a problem with older games or MMORPGs that are heavily single-threaded. I have a similar combo, it's an 8350 + R9 290X which is not that much slower than a 980 and it runs fine without noticeable bottlenecking

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

That's not the truth, with the lighting and textures up to ultra it looks fantastic!

I have both. It looks just as good as Skyrim. Its got the same engine with only minor tweaks.

PMSL

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

You lose a couple of frames on average compared to an i7, but in most AAA titles you're fine, you might have a problem with older games or MMORPGs that are heavily single-threaded. I have a similar combo, it's an 8350 + R9 290X which is not that much slower than a 980 and it runs fine without noticeable bottlenecking

More than a couple of frames actually, and the minimum FPS is a real problem with the FX line....

PMSL

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

More than a couple of frames actually, and the minimum FPS is a real problem with the FX line....

Provided if it's oc'd decently, then it shouldn't be that bad.

You'll still see a bad affect/lower performance than Intel i but there's a improvement, not much but better than stock.

Just now, Bubblewhale said:

Provided if it's oc'd decently, then it shouldn't be that bad.

Yeah, to around 5GHz....and even then it'd trade blows with an i3.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Yeah, to around 5GHz....and even then it'd trade blows with an i3.

I'm ditching this 8320, wanted it to oc it to 4.5GHZ with a NH-D15 before i realized FX platform is dead and waiting to buy Zen, Skylake, or Haswell. 

There was a FPS difference when i oc'd it to 3.5GHZ to 4.1GHZ, let's say 5-10FPS but not much compared to Intel i.

9 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Weird, because according to JayzTwoCents he didn't notice a difference between gaming on an overclocked 8350 and an overclocked 3770k and said that the upgrade wasn't worth the cost in this video:

Neither did my flatmate that owns an i5-4690k. I'm not saying there's no difference, but he doesn't lose that much with that 980

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Weird, because according to JayzTwoCents he didn't notice a difference between gaming on an overclocked 8350 and an overclocked 3770k and said that the upgrade wasn't worth the cost in this video:

Neither did my flatmate that owns an i5-4690k. I'm not saying there's no difference, but he doesn't lose that much with that 980

Look, the FX8350 already has troubles with minimum FPS in games, and problems such as that are exacerbated by using a graphics card that gets bottlenecked by the CPU-I should know, I've deliberately run my GTX 970 in scenarios where the CPU was no where near powerful enough to run a game on full settings without the minimum FPS dropping low (with my GTX 650ti Oc 2GB), and the minimum FPS got even worse when I switched to the GTX 970. and just FYI, BF4 was designed to make use of 8 threads.

PMSL