What type of paint should I use for the shroud of a sapphire r9 290x tri-x?

shadowbyte
Go to solution Solved by Interfectorem,
Just now, shadowbyte said:

That's the one! Assuming you're painting your components white.

The yellow and black of the 290x doesn't really fit my build, so I want to repaint the shroud white.

I know how to take the card apart, but what's the best spraypaint to use?

plastidip? regular paint? matte? shiny?

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

I would use PlastiDip personally since you can peel it off if you're not pleased with the results.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Just now, Interfectorem said:

I would use PlastiDip personally since you can peel it off if you're not pleased with the results.

but will it add bulk to the card?

is it still a matte finish?

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Polaroid Spectra System

but will it add bulk to the card?

is it still a matte finish?

It won't add a noticeable bulk to the card. Yes, PlastiDip, when dried, has a Matte finish to it.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

It won't add a noticeable bulk to the card. Yes, PlastiDip, when dried, has a Matte finish to it.

so can i just buy it at like home depot or michael's?

Polaroid Spectra System

Polaroid Spectra System

so can i just buy it at like home depot or michael's?

Yes you should be able to. I've seen PlastiDip and Lowe's and Home Depot, not sure about Michaels however.

yep.

thanks a lot!

Polaroid Spectra System

5 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

The yellow and black of the 290x doesn't really fit my build, so I want to repaint the shroud white.

I know how to take the card apart, but what's the best spraypaint to use?

plastidip? regular paint? matte? shiny?

In general regular spray paint or even plasti-dip will work, for the finish plasti-dip is naturally matte but for spray paints that option if up to you. For white however automotive spray paints tend to have bright more vibrate white and darker blacks than regular hardware store stuff. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

In general regular spray paint or even plasti-dip will work, for the finish plasti-dip is naturally matte but for spray paints that option if up to you. For white however automotive spray paints tend to have bright more vibrate white and darker blacks than regular hardware store stuff. 

http://www.autozone.com/paint-and-body/paint-spray-can-and-touch-up/rust-oleum-gloss-white-paint/549998_0_0/

it this also a good option?

Polaroid Spectra System

11 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

I don't think I've seen one of those simple white label Rustoluem can in a long long time while but yes it will work, note that it is a gloss finish.  I woudl recommend the Duplicolor stuff if you have it available cause I think that is a more generic white similar to the regular hardware store stuff. 

If your interested I have a general overview and guide here under GPU Painting and General Painting that goes over this:

I use Krylon Color Master on my paint jobs for GPU shrouds and soundcards along with primer. Pretty much sticks to anything long as you prep the surface with cleaning, light sandpaper and proper primer just to make sure it sticks

https://imgur.com/a/RxAJL

https://imgur.com/a/p3VV9

https://imgur.com/a/Gbc9R

ePjwn5d.jpg

h7TAbXj.jpg

HItr8zD.jpg