PC Gaming with a 4k TV

Starwind

I was at lunch today at Fry's and wanted to see the x34 Predator.  They didn't have it, but a colleague of mine brought up why not do a TV for a fraction of the cost.  So My question is what is the true drawback now with a 4K LED TV for gaming and computer work?  Some of these TV's refresh at 120hz.  The lag?  Is it any different from console gaming?  What's the true drawbacks for someone looking at TV's instead of a "Monitor" for school, work, and gaming?

You guessed it, input latency, TV class displays were never intended for super low latency so even on the "Game Mode" setting they usually experience lag in the 15-30ms range(even more for some) but if you don't play a lot of twitch shooters or you play with a gamepad you might not find the experience that jarring, I can play fallout 4 w/ an Xbone controller on my TV comfortably but trying to play CSGO with m+kb is unplayable IMO.

6 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Yes the input lag is noticable, we tried playing with a 980ti on gta 5 at 4k smart tv and the imput lag was ewwwww

Wow, so it was that bad for even GTA 5?  What TV was it?  Did it just have really bad input lag in general?  

Something like this one is what I'm referring to.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-2015?uxtv=f581

3 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Yes the input lag is noticable, we tried playing with a 980ti on gta 5 at 4k smart tv and the imput lag was ewwwww

What about if you had a gaming monitor, but you used a tv for an extra screen (e.g. watching movies in bed, homework, extra window space)?

2 minutes ago, ScottThePC said:

What about if you had a gaming monitor, but you used a tv for an extra screen (e.g. watching movies in bed, homework, extra window space)?

I would end up having 2 monitors just because I can't picture not having 2 anymore.  3 was too much.  I just remember the input lag being the biggest downfall and wanted to know if there was something else I could be overlooking.  If it's good enough on a console to play, then wouldn't beefier hardware pick up the slack for the higher resolution and refresh rate?  You can get a decent 4k tv now for half the price of the predator easily.

1 minute ago, Starwind said:

I would end up having 2 monitors just because I can't picture not having 2 anymore.  3 was too much.  I just remember the input lag being the biggest downfall and wanted to know if there was something else I could be overlooking.  If it's good enough on a console to play, then wouldn't beefier hardware pick up the slack for the higher resolution and refresh rate?  You can get a decent 4k tv now for half the price of the predator easily.

Ok, thanks. :)

17 minutes ago, Panda689 said:

You guessed it, input latency, TV class displays were never intended for super low latency so even on the "Game Mode" setting they usually experience lag in the 15-30ms range(even more for some) but if you don't play a lot of twitch shooters or you play with a gamepad you might not find the experience that jarring, I can play fallout 4 w/ an Xbone controller on my TV comfortably but trying to play CSGO with m+kb is unplayable IMO.

Missed your post somehow...  That's what I'm checking out now.  I figure most of the time I play SC2 or some MOBA's here and there, but I'm not looking for that perfect headshot haha.