Penetrate 30 cm wall .

ofekl

Well , I have a 3 floor house . the router is in the second floor .
There is a pc in a room surround by 30 cm [11 inch~] in the first floor.
Ethernet cable isn't an option , I dont feel like tackle the cable every time I go down stairs + it's ugly .
Wifi extenders are really annoying to use , every little change that I do with the router I need to re-configure the wifi extender and sometimes it doesnt even work , long process. ..
Any other solutions ?

It depends what router you have, but possibly buying a better router would be my suggestion. From my experience range extenders all basically suck.

Another viable option is use a powerline adapter and a secondary router in your room; although my recommendation will (almost) always be to start off with the single best router you can and hope that solves the problem. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Preparing for shitposts about the title. 

It depends on your router

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

You can penetrate the wall with you Dic...

umm.. I mean drill

What's the wall made of anyway?

Why don't you want to drill it and run Ethernet trough it? It can be done very cleanly and the cable can always be hidden behind floor panels

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Powerline is what I recommend,

1 minute ago, Derpologist said:

I mean the title is just demanding terrible puns. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

try powerline

it may of may not work well, depending on your wiring

only way to find out is to try it

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

12 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It depends what router you have, but possibly buying a better router would be my suggestion. From my experience range extenders all basically suck.

Another viable option is use a powerline adapter and a secondary router in your room; although my recommendation will (almost) always be to start off with the single best router you can and hope that solves the problem. 

10 minutes ago, Derpologist said:

10 minutes ago, DXMember said:

You can penetrate the wall with you D...

What's the wall made of anyway?

Why don't you want to drill it and run Ethernet trough it? It can be done very cleanly and the cable can always be hidden behind floor panels

9 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

the worst , concrete wall ..
I'm sorry i dont really know what a powerline is ..
You probably wont  find a lot of details on this router , because I think it's a modfied version that I only see in my country :
d-link 6850U

And unfortunately my D isn't long enough to penetrate a 30 cm wall..

2 minutes ago, ofekl said:

You probably find a lot of details on this router , because I think it's a modfied version that I only see in my country :
d-link 6850U

http://flash.newegg.com/Product/N82E16833124481?nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsNF-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsNF-PC-_-pla-_-Powerline+Networking-_-N82E16833124481&gclid=CjwKEAiAuea1BRCbn-2n7PbLgEMSJAABQvTTnDqv2XX52WjA4Dk6BiHpjin1PwokwRI4uoeKMvmFShoCDpjw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds this is a powerline 

If you can find 2 outlets on the same side of the circuit breaker, you can use power line adapters to get across the thicker walls and floors.

Speeds will be in the 300-400mbit/s range which is good for general internet usage, but if you have a NAS that you need to get full gigabit transfers on, then you will have to find a way to run an Ethernet cable (e.g., running it outside of the house and into the upstairs).

A concrete wall will attenuate WiFi significantly, and even a top of the line router will not get you acceptable performance. The FCC limits transmit powers to 1 watt, and top end routers still have to work within that limit.

4 minutes ago, ofekl said:

You probably find a lot of details on this router , because I think it's a modfied version that I only see in my country :
d-link 6850U

powerline is where you use your home's wiring to transmit the signal -- you plug an ethernet wire into an adapter (next to your router) that plugs into a wall outlet, and then in another room in your house (that's connected to the same panel) you plug in another powerline adapter and plug an ethernet wire from it into a router/a computer. 

The problem with powerline is that it's VERY dependent on the wiring in your home, and requires the two adapters to be connected to the same panel (many homes in the US have two discrete 120v lines running through the house, so both adapters would need to be on the same 120v line). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, Razor512 said:

If you can find 2 outlets on the same side of the circuit breaker, you can use power line adapters to get across the thicker walls and floors.

Speeds will be in the 300-400mbit/s range which is good for general internet usage, but if you have a NAS that you need to get full gigabit transfers on, then you will have to find a way to run an Ethernet cable (e.g., running it outside of the house and into the upstairs).

A concrete wall will attenuate WiFi significantly, and even a top of the line router will not get you acceptable performance. The FCC limits transmit powers to 1 watt, and top end routers still have to work within that limit.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

powerline is where you use your home's wiring to transmit the signal -- you plug an ethernet wire into an adapter (next to your router) that plugs into a wall outlet, and then in another room in your house (that's connected to the same panel) you plug in another powerline adapter and plug an ethernet wire from it into a router/a computer. 

The problem with powerline is that it's VERY dependent on the wiring in your home, and requires the two adapters to be connected to the same panel (many homes in the US have two discrete 120v lines running through the house, so both adapters would need to be on the same 120v line). 

Oh god.. I'm not from the us ..
Also I dont know a thing about my house wiring . guess ill go researching ..

My internet is only 60 mbit/s .. 
Thanks guys (:

If needed, try an AV1200 power line adapter, and then hook a secondary router or access point to the power line adapter. you can return it if it doesn't work for you (depending on the store's return policy).

3 hours ago, ofekl said:

Well , I have a 3 floor house . the router is in the second floor .
There is a pc in a room surround by 30 cm [11 inch~] in the first floor.
Ethernet cable isn't an option , I dont feel like tackle the cable every time I go down stairs + it's ugly .
Wifi extenders are really annoying to use , every little change that I do with the router I need to re-configure the wifi extender and sometimes it doesnt even work , long process. ..
Any other solutions ?

1. Run the Ethernet through the walls, not on the floor, this is going to be the best (and cheapest in the long run) solution.

2. Power-line adapters might work (depends on how many circuits you have in your house), keep in mind it'll be slower.

To actually answer your question you would need a powerful transmitter and probably a good antenna :)

You could try this, but I won't guarantee anything: https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostationm/ 

If you are going for it you would want the NSM2 or NSM5 edition.

Out of those 2, I would go with the NSM2 as 2.4Ghz penetrates walls easier.

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

There is also MOCA. Multimedia over Coax. It uses the Coax in your walls. It tends to work better than Power line from what I read. So if you have coax in both locations you can install these adapters. It will generally work with Cable providers. Its at least something to look in to. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, MariusJS said:

To actually answer your question you would need a powerful transmitter and probably a good antenna :)

You could try this, but I won't guarantee anything: https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostationm/ 

If you are going for it you would want the NSM2 or NSM5 edition.

Out of those 2, I would go with the NSM2 as 2.4Ghz penetrates walls easier.

The issue with WiFi bridge devices is that they still have to abide by the regulatory restrictions. http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/wcs/3-2/configuration/guide/wcscfg32/wcscod.html

Going through extremely dense materials will still cause many issues, in this case, he is pretty much stick with powerline networking, or MoCA as others have recommended.

5 hours ago, Razor512 said:

The issue with WiFi bridge devices is that they still have to abide by the regulatory restrictions. http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/wcs/3-2/configuration/guide/wcscfg32/wcscod.html

Going through extremely dense materials will still cause many issues, in this case, he is pretty much stick with powerline networking, or MoCA as others have recommended.

1W EIRP Should be efficient lol... 

Also in most countries no1 cares as long as you are not some huge company... 

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

On 2/9/2016 at 1:24 PM, Ronnie76 said:

Yes, you should be just fine to put one on one side and the other on the other side. This should work perfectly.