SFP+ connector

Stefan1024
Go to solution Solved by Sunshine1868,
5 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Oh, 1 GBit/s internet won't happen anytime soon im my area. At least if you are not a millionaire.

But it would be neat to have a fast interconnect between the two PCs and the NAS to share storage.

As for the cost: I don't nide spending an extra 50-100$ now for a used 10 GB NIC. Even the new once are getting relatively chap:

http://www.amazon.com/2BH2872-Ethernet-Converged-Network-X520-DA2/dp/B0038KVYJ0/ref=pd_sim_147_8?ie=UTF8&dpID=414PMhQYexL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0RT4VEADTA1TDY56VPS6

It really isn't worth it... you'd need a 10Gb NIC for the server, a 10Gb switch, and a 10Gb NIC for your pc... and then you have to hope and pray that the drivers work. and the switch won't be cheap either since it will need to be managed.

go for it if you want, but trust me, Gigabit Ethernet is more than plenty for moving files. Hell, if you really want to move files quickly, find 2 Thunderbolt v2 or v3 cards and direct-connect the machines. those are 20Gbit and 40Gbit transfer speeds respectively.

So I'm looking for a 10GB NIC for cheap and most have an SFP+ connectors.

I know there are direct copper attached cables (10 meter max.) and fiber optic one. As the transceiver is part of the cable and not of the NIC (like it is for RJ45) I'm unsre if they are interchangeable.

Is SFP+ well standardised or do I hav to know something?

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Connecting two SFP+ ports via DAC (Direct Attached Copper) should work just fine. When doing fiber, you have to be sure the optical transceivers on either end of the fiber are of the same variety.

But why not just go 10GBASE-T over Cat. 6a cabling...?

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

What is your overall goal here?

or, Why do you feel you need 10 Gbit networking? What application is this for?

ESXi SysAdmin

5 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

So I'm looking for a 10GB NIC for cheap and most have an SFP+ connectors.

I know there are direct copper attached cables (10 meter max.) and fiber optic one. As the transceiver is part of the cable and not of the NIC (like it is for RJ45) I'm unsre if they are interchangeable.

Is SFP+ well standardised or do I hav to know something?

SFP+ is a standardised connector. GBIC modules (SFP+ to fiber adapter) are not standardised though some brands work with almost anything eg. Netgear. You just need to make sure your switch/NIC is compatible with whatever GBIC module you're installing.

There's no issue though if you're doing DAC.

11 hours ago, Sunshine1868 said:

What is your overall goal here?

or, Why do you feel you need 10 Gbit networking? What application is this for?

There is no need for the very fast networking now.

But I'm building this oil cooled machine and even adding a PICe card will be a nightmare. So I meed to cover all needs for the whole lifetime of the PC now. And 10 GBit/s is the future of networking.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

For switches and routers, oftentimes the firmware will only let you use "approved" SFP adaptors "for best results" - meaning they lock you into buying an SFP from the same vendor as the switch or router. You should look up the PCIe SFP+ cards you might buy to make sure they will support the SFP+ adaptors you intend to use. As for SFP+ DAC, I don't think anyone does vendor locking on them, but I could be wrong.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

7 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

There is no need for the very fast networking now.

But I'm building this oil cooled machine and even adding a PICe card will be a nightmare. So I meed to cover all needs for the whole lifetime of the PC now. And 10 GBit/s is the future of networking.

I think you will be swapping processors and RAM and drives before you ever ned 10Gbps networking... until ISPs provide ubiquitous 1Gbps network speeds, you will not be served well implementing a costly solution like 10GbE

ESXi SysAdmin

14 minutes ago, Sunshine1868 said:

I think you will be swapping processors and RAM and drives before you ever ned 10Gbps networking... until ISPs provide ubiquitous 1Gbps network speeds, you will not be served well implementing a costly solution like 10GbE

Oh, 1 GBit/s internet won't happen anytime soon im my area. At least if you are not a millionaire.

But it would be neat to have a fast interconnect between the two PCs and the NAS to share storage.

As for the cost: I don't nide spending an extra 50-100$ now for a used 10 GB NIC. Even the new once are getting relatively chap:

http://www.amazon.com/2BH2872-Ethernet-Converged-Network-X520-DA2/dp/B0038KVYJ0/ref=pd_sim_147_8?ie=UTF8&dpID=414PMhQYexL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0RT4VEADTA1TDY56VPS6

5 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

It really isn't worth it... you'd need a 10Gb NIC for the server, a 10Gb switch, and a 10Gb NIC for your pc... and then you have to hope and pray that the drivers work. and the switch won't be cheap either since it will need to be managed.

go for it if you want, but trust me, Gigabit Ethernet is more than plenty for moving files. Hell, if you really want to move files quickly, find 2 Thunderbolt v2 or v3 cards and direct-connect the machines. those are 20Gbit and 40Gbit transfer speeds respectively.

ESXi SysAdmin

1 minute ago, Sunshine1868 said:

Ok thank you for the opinion.

Looks like the 10 GB NIC just got scraped ;)