Wired to Block Ad-Blocking Users, Offer Ad-Free Subscription

Syntaxvgm
4 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Before you label all adblock user as "pirate" think for a moment, why users use adblock? 9_9 Because many sites using irritating ads. Unstoppable videos, flash ads, advertisements over the full page which cant be closed until you click on the ad and etc...

If you've read every comment then you should of noticed at I explain my own usage. Here it is for reference.

have no problem whitelisting sites I visit regularity. While I don't use WIRED for news if I did I would white list it. They have the right to get paid for the content they produce. To me they came up with a fare compromise. View ads or pay for ad free. If you like the site you should be fine with one of those options. WIRED does not need to serve you with  free content. 

I'm not some white knight of websites. I use adblock too but I try to remember to white list sites I use and if a site asks me to whitelist them I will If I use that site. If they end up being a crappy site with terrible ads then I leave and find somewhere else.

So I am not comparing adblockers to people who pirate content. I'm saying if you visit an site regularly to read their content you should value that site enough to pay for it or view ads, otherwise IT WILL go down. Seeing as people are not doing that sites are starting to block people who don't pay. They are setting a price and you have the choice of paying for the content or going out of your way to view it for free.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

10 hours ago, Bensemus said:

That's why they are doing this. They don't have to let you see their content for free. The wall they are putting up blocks non paying viewers. They just have two options to pay. Ads or money. Before adblock became a thing there was no need to block ad blockers cuz they didn't really exist. Now that they do websites are reacting to protect their products. Now if you try to circumvent their wall its the same as trying to get around any pay-wall to get the content for free. 

Their putting up a pay-wall means you are now trying to get their content for free. You are not longer just blocking ads. You are going out of your way to get something for free.

blocking ad blockers is not a pay wall......

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

reminds of the other website that blocked ad-block users and served malware to those accessing it , yeah Fuck this guys i hope they go bankrupt (i i know they won't but still)

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

On February 14, 2016 at 2:13 AM, jaggysnake57 said:

blocking ad blockers is not a pay wall......

Why not? They are putting up a wall to block people who make them no money.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)