Quadport lan card

TomasV

Hi guys,

I want to buy some lan cards for my network to get better speed, but i dont know if i can buy "server adapter" or can someone help me with choosing cheap card. I think some card for four way lan.

Thank you a lot.

Why do you want a four port LAN card? Do you intend to do LACP? That won't necessarily make your connection faster. Those Quad port NICs are primarily made so that servers can have teamed NICs either for redundancy or for increased speed when multiple clients are accessing at once. More than a gigabit connection on a home user PC id pretty useless IMO unless you are running some sort of server. If you want to increase your speed via wired connection a Gigabit card would do well for you if you don't already have it. Remember though, you can only get external speed as fast as you pay for from your ISP, Gigabit cards will almost always only help with local connection speed.

1 hour ago, NetworkPeet said:

~snip~

Don't just post a video that MIGHT apply with no context. There is a lot more to this than just buying a NIC and everything just works. 

@TomasV what SPECIFICALLY is your intent here? @Bgordy2013's comment above is spot on. 

Just because Linus made a video about it doesn't mean your rig/home network needs a multi-port NIC with Link Aggregation.

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

Why do you want a four port LAN card? Do you intend to do LACP? That won't necessarily make your connection faster. Those Quad port NICs are primarily made so that servers can have teamed NICs either for redundancy or for increased speed when multiple clients are accessing at once. More than a gigabit connection on a home user PC id pretty useless IMO unless you are running some sort of server. If you want to increase your speed via wired connection a Gigabit card would do well for you if you don't already have it. Remember though, you can only get external speed as fast as you pay for from your ISP, Gigabit cards will almost always only help with local connection speed.

I want to put it in server and my pc to get better transfer speed.

Just now, TomasV said:

I want to put it in server and my pc to get better transfer speed.

You would need to also get a network switch that supports LACP. otherwise these two computers would simply communicate with each other. You would be ALOT better off finding network gear with 10GBASE-T ethernet and running a Cat. 6a cable between the two machines.

but if this is just for home use, Gigabit ethernet is PLENTY. 

ESXi SysAdmin

You would need to also get a network switch that supports LACP. otherwise these two computers would simply communicate with each other. You would be ALOT better off finding network gear with 10GBASE-T ethernet and running a Cat. 6a cable between the two machines.

but if this is just for home use, Gigabit ethernet is PLENTY. 

I know so i can use server adapter for win 10 pc? If ok is there some pci-e external adapter?

5 hours ago, TomasV said:

I know so i can use server adapter for win 10 pc? If ok is there some pci-e external adapter?

there aren't really "server adapters"... just more expensive, more feature-filled PCIe NICs. 

just be sure the drivers work.

again, this "solution" you are implementing is going to be a lot of headache and cost for very little to no gain in performance. 

ESXi SysAdmin

there aren't really "server adapters"... just more expensive, more feature-filled PCIe NICs. 

just be sure the drivers work.

again, this "solution" you are implementing is going to be a lot of headache and cost for very little to no gain in performance. 

Thank you