What can you do with 1mb up and 1mb down

Ramontes
Go to solution Solved by iamdarkyoshi,

Pretty much do google searches for better ISPs

1 mbps up and down is pretty bad, well especially the download part. Hopefully that's not your only option, I'm stuck in a town right now with 5 mbps down and 1 mbps up and I find that to be very slow (there's only one ISP here). At least I go back to high speeds for a few months until the summer anyway, but yeah I bet your phone is faster I get about 18 mbps down and I think 7 up on my phone.

megabit or megabyte? if its megabit, man I feel bad for you. I complain with 15 down, 1 up.

If you are stuck with that, and can put your own router in line with it, then you can make less painful to use, by getting a router that has good QOS options, or supports the qualcomm streamboost which works really well on slow connections in terms of performing some adaptive QOS on a connection that will be saturated constantly.

19 minutes ago, Ramontes said:

thats my schools internet speed and i honestly feel like my phone hotspot would do better. i doubt anyone can game on this and ive hardly been able to stream anything its literally limited to slow web browsing

Is this a question or just a statement?  I mean its a school, you really don't need more than that to do the research they require you to do.  If you want to play games go home and do so, don't waste your time in school.  Learn, become educated, dig deep, be inquisitive, get curious, build something.

Additionally, quit wasting tax dollars on video games.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

1 hour ago, Ramontes said:

thats my schools internet speed and i honestly feel like my phone hotspot would do better. i doubt anyone can game on this and ive hardly been able to stream anything its literally limited to slow web browsing

You can do a lot, just not what you want.

1 hour ago, Spartancloud said:

1 mbps up and down is pretty bad, well especially the download part. Hopefully that's not your only option, I'm stuck in a town right now with 5 mbps down and 1 mbps up and I find that to be very slow (there's only one ISP here). At least I go back to high speeds for a few months until the summer anyway, but yeah I bet your phone is faster I get about 18 mbps down and I think 7 up on my phone.

Depends on spec. If you're using it to allow branch sites to connect to a head office? it's fine. 512/512kb MPLS network here, works great. Branch is able to do their thing, so long as they don't want to look at youtube (in grater then 360p, but they are at work so I monitor that anyways), couple of team-viewer sessions and a hole lot of monitoring running in the background, run everything through a proxy/cache and it goes a long way.

I have 1.2 down and 0.4 up, it sucks but your can still do social media, Google, some games, downloads are slow af and videos will need to be 480 but it's life. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

11 hours ago, JefferyD90 said:

Additionally, quit wasting tax dollars on video games.

I can't speak for him but my county only pays like $500 a year for Internet to 12 schools, well over 4000 students...so a few megabytes of gaming isn't even noticed. More over, last time I check the ISP isn't limiting large groups like schools by the data, just speeds. Not to mention the minor am out of power a single 300 watt pc draws compared to a facility that size. You're best argument is that someone else could be using that computer for class work but I imagine if there was a shortage he wouldn't have the chance. Please, answer the tech related questions and keep the political concerns to the trump rally.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Who is your school if you don't mind me asking? Maybe you can get in touch with them and see if there is anything they can do. The school itself gets much faster internet, but it is throttled down as a rule to contain congestion. But maybe there isn't a lot of traffic in your building. Maybe not a lot of roommates or they don't use a lot of internet. Maybe bring them some hot pockets... see what they can do. ;)

Other then that, +1 for trying to get a better ISP. Some have discount plans for students or even deals with the building management. 

Nothing realy, my school has 400mbs down and that is faster than 99% of connections here in South Africa, my home internet is 2 down uncapped though 

12 hours ago, RedWulf said:

I can't speak for him but my county only pays like $500 a year for Internet to 12 schools, well over 4000 students...so a few megabytes of gaming isn't even noticed. More over, last time I check the ISP isn't limiting large groups like schools by the data, just speeds. Not to mention the minor am out of power a single 300 watt pc draws compared to a facility that size. You're best argument is that someone else could be using that computer for class work but I imagine if there was a shortage he wouldn't have the chance. Please, answer the tech related questions and keep the political concerns to the trump rally.

when you get a business internet it's almost always charged a 95% system.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE