Need Help With Geting Free Server OS

Hello i'm having trouble with a home server. The problem is i don't know what server OS to use that's kinda easy.

I built the server already, i need a OS that dose file sharing for windows computers. 

4 minutes ago, Kyle Manning said:

Ubuntu and SAMBA

Seconding this.

The Cheap SFF Wonder -- Turning a Core 2 Duo SFF machine into a useful member of computer society!

i5 3570 -- AS.Rock Z77 Pro3 -- 12GB DDR3 -- R9 380X -- 840Evo 500GB/1TB HDD 

I speak the honest truth with a bit of snark mixed in. I'm sorry if it doesn't line up with your beliefs.

Just now, DrogonMar said:

Hello i'm having trouble with a home server. The problem is i don't know what server OS to use that's kinda easy.

I built the server already, i need a OS that dose file sharing for windows computers. 

Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4 is currently free - indefinitely. If you want a very Windows-y server this is a pretty good choice.

Just now, Kyle Manning said:

Ubuntu and SAMBA

This is a good choice if you can handle configuring linux packages (though samba setup is pretty simple and there are guide), plus Ubuntu's GUI is designed to be easy to use for Windows users.

Almost as cool as my temps  

I agree with ubuntu, but specifically I'd recommend xubuntu over the main release - it's lighter and the DE is better suited for a server.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Benergy said:

Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4 is currently free - indefinitely. If you want a very Windows-y server this is a pretty good choice.

I'm curious, does that "forever" include security updates and bugfixes for years to come?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

I'm curious, does that "forever" include security updates and bugfixes for years to come?

I believe there's going to be an 'Essentials' version of Windows Server 2016 release (limitation on number of domain users - i.e. fine for a home setup) which means that, like with Windows 10, users of the technical preview may just be upgraded to that for free.

7 hours ago, Benergy said:

This is a good choice if you can handle configuring linux packages (though samba setup is pretty simple and there are guide), plus Ubuntu's GUI is designed to be easy to use for Windows users.

7 hours ago, Sauron said:

7 hours ago, Benergy said:

I believe there's going to be an 'Essentials' version of Windows Server 2016 release (limitation on number of domain users - i.e. fine for a home setup) which means that, like with Windows 10, users of the technical preview may just be upgraded to that for free.

Can you post a source for that? I would not count on a server technical preview as a reliable long term solution, hoping it would remain free and usable.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Can you post a source for that? I would not count on a server technical preview as a reliable long term solution, hoping it would remain free and usable.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-essentials-technical-preview

If you expand 2016 Essentials Technical Preview 4, it says 'Evaluations : Unlimited'. 

While this is the technical preview, the price for a 2012 Essentials license is around £130 (similar to Windows 10 Pro license cost I believe) so I don't think it's out of the question for the 2016 Essentials tech preview users to get a free upgrade.

5 minutes ago, Benergy said:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-essentials-technical-preview

If you expand 2016 Essentials Technical Preview 4, it says 'Evaluations : Unlimited'. 

While this is the technical preview, the price for a 2012 Essentials license is around £130 (similar to Windows 10 Pro license cost I believe) so I don't think it's out of the question for the 2016 Essentials tech preview users to get a free upgrade.

The evaluation is unlimited because development is ongoing. Once server 2016 goes retail, I would question whether the evaluation will remain unlimited.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

The evaluation is unlimited because development is ongoing. Once server 2016 goes retail, I would question whether the evaluation will remain unlimited.

Indeed, the Technical Preview has to end one way or another, either with a free upgrade to the Essentials release (this happened with Windows 10 Tech preview users) or an activation cut off unless you buy Essentials (or another release).

Why ubuntu?  Why not CentOS?  CentOS is free, it's very good and stable it's based on RHEL and can have servers on it out of the box including web-server, dns server etc. 

Windows Server 2016 is free right now and IS VERY GOOD provided you know your way around the Windows PowerShell.  Just make sure you actually know what you are doing because Windows Servers are not really designed for home servers, they are more for providing Networks with extra things that awesome networks need such as a active directory domain controller which is great for networks such as schools and corperations and dns servers etc. 

I've never used Windows Server for a home server before, and I would highly advise CentOS.  Ubuntu is fine, it's just I feel it's  not as good as CentOS. 

I run Debian on my server. I find it quite easy to use and to maintain. 

、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``
、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽマッテェ(ノ;Д;)ノ `、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、
ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``

On 2/8/2016 at 0:17 PM, Benergy said:

Well, I do. It's Windows Server. Unless your getting a cut down core build or are part of MSDNAA (or MSDNAA like programs such as dreamspark) I don't think you will get a free upgrade. It also targets a different market, consumers would deploy the beta system as their primary os, business' will not.

On 8/2/2016 at 9:45 AM, Mike_The_B0ss said:

Why ubuntu?  Why not CentOS?  CentOS is free, it's very good and stable it's based on RHEL and can have servers on it out of the box including web-server, dns server etc. 

Windows Server 2016 is free right now and IS VERY GOOD provided you know your way around the Windows PowerShell.  Just make sure you actually know what you are doing because Windows Servers are not really designed for home servers, they are more for providing Networks with extra things that awesome networks need such as a active directory domain controller which is great for networks such as schools and corperations and dns servers etc. 

I've never used Windows Server for a home server before, and I would highly advise CentOS.  Ubuntu is fine, it's just I feel it's  not as good as CentOS. 

Or Debian ;).

But if you're familiar with Ubuntu, then Debian would be more familiar to you compared to CentOS.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold