Recycling an oldie

PixlRabt

Hello Internets,

So recently I acquired an old business pc from my mothers work. It runs windows xp, yet crashes constantly (which is supposedly due to the PSU but I never hear it conk out). So i got to thinking, is it possible for me to take a modern day gaming system and use the case from the business pc. I did some research, and it is a discontinued Antec case. Here's the link to the products page over at Antec.com; http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=704975

What are your thoughts? would it work? Are there any specific issues I would have to be aware of if I did this?

Oh, and I guess I'd better put in what I want to put in it,

Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UD3H

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k

RAM: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9 8GB (2x4GB) 1866MHz DDR3

CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO

GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB

PSU: Corsair GS-600 V2 80+ Bronze Power Supply

Wireless: TP-Link TL-WN881ND

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

tharrison14

If it can support the componenstss and airflow isn't gone, then go for it!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

case link isn't working

Link doesn't work, but it is probably a MATX case and get a 8350 if it isn't

I'm not sure whats wrong with the link, its working fine for me. and it definitely is not a m-ATX case, this thing is massive.

I'm not sure whats wrong with the link, its working fine for me. and it definitely is not a m-ATX case, this thing is massive.

It says Error, might be because I am in canada

well then give us the name of it at least? I'm sure the problem isn't on both of our ends.

Error: 410

well then give us the name of it at least? I'm sure the problem isn't on both of our ends.

Ok, it's an Antec NSK 6580

Ok, it's an Antec NSK 6580

I suppose it will work, however cooling might be an issue as it's seriously lacking in fan and radiator support, not to mention it has literally 0 cable management. You can use it as a temporary shell but do plan to change it eventually.

I suppose it will work, however cooling might be an issue as it's seriously lacking in fan and radiator support, not to mention it has literally 0 cable management. You can use it as a temporary shell but do plan to change it eventually.

That's exactly my plan. What about front panel connectors, no problem with them being old or something?

That's exactly my plan. What about front panel connectors, no problem with them being old or something?

Well, all the pins should be the same since the case doesn't seem to be of proprietary design. Should be no problems, I'm 95% sure that board has a AC97 header for audio if the case is indeed that old.

Well, all the pins should be the same since the case doesn't seem to be of proprietary design. Should be no problems, I'm 95% sure that board has a AC97 header for audio if the case is indeed that old.

The case does indeed have an AC95 cable

I would mod the case, cut some holes to put more fans. modern, high end hardware puts out a lot of heat. you know?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

It will suffice for a temporary build my htpc is in an antec case that is as old as that (if not older). My personal recommendations would be to either A) mod it, or be leave that side panel off when you are going to be giving that gpu a work out or you will also have an oven at your feet.

If you care not for the case once you get a new one the easiest mod you can do would be to remove that drive cage and bugger it off, drill some holes in the front and mount a 120mm fan there, then either cut the drive cage down to the number you need and reattach it (to stem the reduction of airflow caused by the cage) or do some ghetto mounting in the 5.25" bays.

Honestly if you aren't working your system too hard it shouldn't matter too much but I would rather hang on the side of caution and keep the side panel off while working it unless you improve the airflow. (They are great cases to mod though, simple construction and very easy to add to, 2.5mm drill-bit is all you need to disassemble them completely, just incase that tickles your fancy once you get another case). 

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)