F@H not respecting CPU settings at all

Go to solution Solved by warmon6,

Well you got multiple issues going on from what I could see....

1. Idle light: That sounds like the software is bugged.

The way it should work is that when the computer is idle, 1/2 the core/thread available on the cpu should only be used when running on Multiple cores and the gpu is running. 

https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/wiki/ClientPerformanceLevels

The moment the computer isn't idle, everything should stop running.

Although my solution beyond reinstalling the software is to manually limit the number of threads used. 

(ignore the red boxes, it's an image from the overclock.net V7 guide point out a different subject)

580x700px-LL-9cc64d92_4.png

That SMP slot you see (now labeled just as "CPU"), you can change that "-1" to a different number ( -1 = using all cores/threads).

So if you only want to run on 1, 2, 3, ect threads, you can tell it to run on that many.

2. Unless you told the client to run on 1 thread only, the cpu % slider (10% in your case) doesn't work when running on multiple threads. So dont worry about that setting unless you plan to run on 1 thread.  ;)

3. At stock settings and clocks last i checked, the HSF shouldn't be allowing the 2600k to get that hot while folding. (Mid 70c to low 80C should be it last i knew) 

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1580558

I would recommend checking to see if all the push-pins are in to be sure the HSF is making good contact with the cpu (seen it a few times where you "think" those pins are pushed all the way and there not).

If that isn't it, then new thermal compound might be in order. 

Beyond that, besides the underclocking you've already done, the only 2 things that can reduce temps without buying a new cooler is

1: to reduce voltages. You could possibly left it at stock clocks and reduced the voltage. On my Penitum 4 2.8GHz HT in the old days (478 socket), i was able to go from 80c to 75c when folding (And I wasn't being aggressive on the voltage reduction. So i could of done more).  All without changing clocks.

While I haven't done it with my Core i7 920, I do know of other guys with the same cpu as your have reduced voltage and seen temp drops with no stability problems.  

2. turn off hyper threading. It's been know that you can drop the temp a little bit by turning it off. Some users see up to 10c. 

Hope this all helps. If there anything else you need help with, just let me know.

Edit: For got to mention, if you do turn off HT, you'll loose some F@H performance. 

Hello folks!

Tried to look around for an answer to this, but couldn't quite find anything concrete except for some unfavorable workarounds in the FAQ.

So basically, I set up an old backup computer to help out with the folding@home stuff and I'm running in to heat issues.

The rig is running a baseclock 2600k with a stock cooler and a GTX570, so it's by no means a powerhouse - the 570 does fine, running smoothly at around 70C, but the 2600k spikes to 90-100C as soon as I start folding.

This happens no matter what I do with the settings; even with CPU settings set to 10% and using "Idle Light" on the slider it pulls all cores to 100%, which the cooler cannot sustain for long periods of time (at least not without potentially harming the hardware).

So, is this a bug? Am I missing some kind of setting? Should I just underclock the CPU? It's going to be running 24/7, so I kind of need to bring the temp down to at least 70-75C.

Appreciate any kind of input, thanks!

Cheers,

Linus

I would first invest in a better cpu cooler. if you're gonna stay on base clocks then the EVO 212 can be great for you and it's not that expensive. 

folding is really intensive work and the stock cooler is way way way too weak to cool that.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

I would first invest in a better cpu cooler. if you're gonna stay on base clocks then the EVO 212 can be great for you and it's not that expensive. 

folding is really intensive work and the stock cooler is way way way too weak to cool that.

While that's all true, I'm not going to spend any money on a backup computer.  :P

So I'm basically just looking for the best, cheapskate way of making F@H run... well... slower. As the Software settings are not working, I've gone and resolved the issue by underclocking the CPU for now.

Cheers,

Linus

i would not fold anymore on the cpu 100 or even 80 degrees is bad for it. buy a aftermarket cpu cooler.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Well you got multiple issues going on from what I could see....

1. Idle light: That sounds like the software is bugged.

The way it should work is that when the computer is idle, 1/2 the core/thread available on the cpu should only be used when running on Multiple cores and the gpu is running. 

https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/wiki/ClientPerformanceLevels

The moment the computer isn't idle, everything should stop running.

Although my solution beyond reinstalling the software is to manually limit the number of threads used. 

(ignore the red boxes, it's an image from the overclock.net V7 guide point out a different subject)

580x700px-LL-9cc64d92_4.png

That SMP slot you see (now labeled just as "CPU"), you can change that "-1" to a different number ( -1 = using all cores/threads).

So if you only want to run on 1, 2, 3, ect threads, you can tell it to run on that many.

2. Unless you told the client to run on 1 thread only, the cpu % slider (10% in your case) doesn't work when running on multiple threads. So dont worry about that setting unless you plan to run on 1 thread.  ;)

3. At stock settings and clocks last i checked, the HSF shouldn't be allowing the 2600k to get that hot while folding. (Mid 70c to low 80C should be it last i knew) 

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1580558

I would recommend checking to see if all the push-pins are in to be sure the HSF is making good contact with the cpu (seen it a few times where you "think" those pins are pushed all the way and there not).

If that isn't it, then new thermal compound might be in order. 

Beyond that, besides the underclocking you've already done, the only 2 things that can reduce temps without buying a new cooler is

1: to reduce voltages. You could possibly left it at stock clocks and reduced the voltage. On my Penitum 4 2.8GHz HT in the old days (478 socket), i was able to go from 80c to 75c when folding (And I wasn't being aggressive on the voltage reduction. So i could of done more).  All without changing clocks.

While I haven't done it with my Core i7 920, I do know of other guys with the same cpu as your have reduced voltage and seen temp drops with no stability problems.  

2. turn off hyper threading. It's been know that you can drop the temp a little bit by turning it off. Some users see up to 10c. 

Hope this all helps. If there anything else you need help with, just let me know.

Edit: For got to mention, if you do turn off HT, you'll loose some F@H performance. 

Edited by warmon6

-snip-

Looks great, thanks for the massive write-up, really appreciate it. Will give the pointers a spin and see how things go!

Cheers

Cheers,

Linus

Looks great, thanks for the massive write-up, really appreciate it. Will give the pointers a spin and see how things go!

Cheers

Well, I try my best.

Cant say that it's the reason your seeing the problem but everytime i've seen a similar problem in the past, those were the common solutions and/or temporary fixes that others and I have given.

Give them a spin and see what you get. 

Ah.... just remember something that's kind of important.....  :wacko:

When selecting the number of threads, Try to avoid using a prime number such as 3, 5, and 7 threads.

Certain WU's dont like those numbers and will fail. 

If you want an expatiation for why that is, just look at the spoiler.  ;)

[spoiler=]

While I cant find the post/comment over at the Official F@H forums from January 2010, when smp2 started up. people that was running on those prime numbers of threads with there core i7 920 and above (mainly running on 7 threads), a lot of people noticed that a lot of WU's were failing.

Turned out that some WU's need to run on a number of threads that can be divided down to 1. 

Some will work on prime number of threads but back then at least, most didn't.

Now just a quick explanation of what "smp2" is, it was the only client that you use to use to fold on multiple cores from 2010 to 2012 (there was a smp client before that in 2006/7 i do believe (been only folding since 2010) but it worked much differently than SMP2).

Or you were using multiple single core clients......  :wacko:

Now with the v7 client, it's just labeled as CPU as single core and multi-core/thread WU's able to work from 1 thread and up (excluding those prime numbers).

Ah.... just remember something that's kind of important.....  :wacko:

When selecting the number of threads, Try to avoid using a prime number such as 3, 5, and 7 threads.

Certain WU's dont like those numbers and will fail. 

If you want an expatiation for why that is, just look at the spoiler.  ;)

[spoiler=]

While I cant find the post/comment over at the Official F@H forums from January 2010, when smp2 started up. people that was running on those prime numbers of threads with there core i7 920 and above (mainly running on 7 threads), a lot of people noticed that a lot of WU's were failing.

Turned out that some WU's need to run on a number of threads that can be divided down to 1. 

Some will work on prime number of threads but back then at least, most didn't.

Now just a quick explanation of what "smp2" is, it was the only client that you use to use to fold on multiple cores from 2010 to 2012 (there was a smp client before that in 2006/7 i do believe (been only folding since 2010) but it worked much differently than SMP2).

Or you were using multiple single core clients......  :wacko:

Now with the v7 client, it's just labeled as CPU as single core and multi-core/thread WU's able to work from 1 thread and up (excluding those prime numbers).

Learned some new stuff

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Learned some new stuff

Well, there might be more stuff in my brain that you could learn about. ^_^

Although there stuck in cobwebs and need to be clean.  :P

Well, while i dont think this was the original source for me learning about the prime issue and what truely causes it, this is as far back as I can find it being mention in some detail.

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=143042#p143042

Re: 15 "Instant" EUEs in the last 30 hours

icon_post_target.gifby kasson » Wed May 12, 2010 4:00 pm

With the -smp N flag, we have given users a tool to tune performance on their machines. Some settings may lead to less stability for work units. In general, particularly with the newer cores (and several upcoming version updates), we would recommend *not* using large prime numbers as your <N> for -smp. Thus -smp 12 is likely to be more stable (and faster) than -smp 11, etc. Especially settings like -smp 23 on a 24-core system are likely to lead to problems.

Just to throw my two cents in here :D

As I read your initial post, I instantly am thinking your stock cooler is either not working properly, not seated properly or you need new thermal past.

I run an OC'ed 3570k on Medium with the stock Intel cooler and barely break 70 - so something seem wrong with your cooler  itself. You should have no problems folding on Full with that CPU and a stock cooler with zero OC.

Also, make sure you ahve decent air intake so the cooler ai getting fresh air. And then exhaust it all out...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Not quite sure what caused it, but I basically tripled my (estimated) PPD by bringing usage down to 2 cores at 70%, running back at stock clock and maintaining a solid 70-72C temp. So things seems to have been "solved" now - I guess I should actually do something about the cooler... it's been laying dormant for like 2 years, so it may be a bit out of shape.

Just to throw my two cents in here :D

As I read your initial post, I instantly am thinking your stock cooler is either not working properly, not seated properly or you need new thermal past.

I run an OC'ed 3570k on Medium with the stock Intel cooler and barely break 70 - so something seem wrong with your cooler  itself. You should have no problems folding on Full with that CPU and a stock cooler with zero OC.

Also, make sure you ahve decent air intake so the cooler ai getting fresh air. And then exhaust it all out...

I'm running another 2600k with stock clocks and stock cooler in my main machine, and it never goes above 80C under heavy load. So I guess you're right - The folding PC is sitting in an R2, with an estimated ambient of around 35C... so basically it's not near optimal conditions for cooling. It does, however, have decent air flow in its room.

But the current scenario is "close enough", so I'll leave it at than until the PC decides to die on me I guess - Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it!

Cheers,

Linus

<snip>

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it!

No problem. 

Glad we could help.  B)