Think I dodge a bullet with my 5820k

Earlier today I was swapping out my z77/2500k for an x99/5820k.

Putting the 5820k into the socket on the motherboard I could see the gold triangle on the CPU but couldn't see the corresponding triangle on the mother board.

The manual was a little iffy as some sections were pretty generic and seemed like they were meant to work with a multiple motherboards, not all of them X99.

Seeing as the notches lined up either direction I went for the way that would put the writing in the upright orientation.

I was wrong.

The system (of course) failed to boot and got stuck in a repeating on off cycle.

I tried all manners of RAM combinations and the GPU in every PCIE slot, switching between the two BOIS' and checking every cable with no luck.

That's when I cringed and though of the possibility the CPU was in upside down.

I checked and with the aid of a flash light I could just see the slightly darker triangle printed on the motherboard's socket indicating CPU orientation, on the opposite diagonal side as the CPU's triangle.

Removing the CPU I thought for sure it was going to be PC Gore worthy under there but to my surprise it did not look like a single pin was missing or bent out of place.

To my amazement the thing booted up right away when everything was put together (correctly).

After 4-5 hours of use, various stress tests and a modest overclock I haven't run into any problems yet.

I don't know which hardware gods were looking out for me but I think I need to sacrifice some old HDDs in a fire or something to honor and thank them.

let me send you a really crappy GPU I found in an old PC, and film yourself burning it for me please.

the bottom of intel CPUs are just flat

you wouldnt bend any pins by orienting it the wrong way

what i dont understand is how you got it to fit in the socket because there are tabs on the side with notches to prevent you putting it in the wrong way, so idk htf you managed to do that

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

what i dont understand is how you got it to fit in the socket because there are tabs on the side with notches to prevent you putting it in the wrong way, so idk htf you managed to do that

Lmao preach it

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

even if it's upside down it would fit those tabs/notches

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

9 hours ago, Enderman said:

9 hours ago, Inception9269 said:

even if it's upside down it would fit those tabs/notches

Yep, the notches lined up fine both ways.

I raised an eyebrow a bit when I saw that since just about every other component now a days is designed to only fit a specific way.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems I had spoken too soon, perhaps.

For the past week or so the system would not want to load into windows after a reboot or shut down more and more often and a couple times it even through me an error about the bios.

Through out the week I'd tried different SATA cables, different windows installs on different drives, clearing the cmos, both bios', updating the bois with little to no success.

Finally yesterday (Saturday) it must have been averaging,at best, 1 successful start out of 10 so today I went back to Microcenter and exchanged the board, CPU and copy of windows.

So far so good but I'm sure I'll be overly paranoid about every little thing it does for a while.

12 minutes ago, Snadzies said:

Seems I had spoken too soon, perhaps.

For the past week or so the system would not want to load into windows after a reboot or shut down more and more often and a couple times it even through me an error about the bios.

Through out the week I'd tried different SATA cables, different windows installs on different drives, clearing the cmos, both bios', updating the bois with little to no success.

Finally yesterday (Saturday) it must have been averaging,at best, 1 successful start out of 10 so today I went back to Microcenter and exchanged the board, CPU and copy of windows.

So far so good but I'm sure I'll be overly paranoid about every little thing it does for a while.

Well to be fair, you did promise the Great Transistor a sacrificial offering, and your post seems to indicate that you didn't follow through. The Great Transistor can be fickle and quick to anger. Sacrifice those hdds immediately! It was a warning.

Also you should sacrifice a few receipts to the venerable Customer Service Manager just to be on the safe side.

;)

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

So, exchanging my CPU and motherboard may have been unnecessary.

I was still having the same issues with the new CPU and motherboard as before.

I was ready to go exchange my RAM when I was looking around and found a youtube video of a person having the same boot issues (his was with one of the high end ASUS X99 boards).

He eventually found out that is was an issue with a USB hub he had plugged in which, for what ever reason, was keeping the PC from booting into Windows.

He described it as the PC getting stuck between the transition when the BIOS hands over control to Windows.

For him simply unplugging the USB hub allowed his system to load up Windos with out issue after that.

Figuring it couldn't hurt to try to mess around with my USB devices, I unplugged my PS4 controller and moved my mouse and keyboard to different USB ports.

Since then I've shut down / restarted my PC several times with out issue.

Having to make sure my PS4 controller is unplugged for a re/start is a minor annoyance but I'm more than willing to do so if it means my computer works.

Crossing my fingers that the issue is resolved.