Adding Games to my server

TheBuz

I have a server for media films/tv/music running i5 Haswell, 8GB DDR3, 15TB of storage across multiple 3.5" drives a 60gb boot ssd and 2, 1 Gigabit ethernet ports. 

The server is upstairs and my gaming rig is downstairs. 

The server is connected to the router via 2 Cat6 cables and the router is hardwired to a 8 port gigabit switch downstairs. Then a single cat6 cable to my gaming rig, which only uses ssd 

I am trying (planning) to achieve, is having games installed on the server on SSDs. 

Not run the games on the server, they will still "run" on the gaming rig, but the game data will be fetched from the server. 

It is possible to install steam to a network folder, my main issue is the performance lose. Maximum theoretical transfer speed would be 1gbs as there is only 1 port on my gaming rig. This is 6x slower than sata :(

Would this bottleneck completely negate have games installed on SSDs on the server? Will load times take forever? Has anyone tried it? Is it completely pointless? 

Any advice? 

I would suggest buying an inexpensive 7200rpm HDD or lower speed SSD's and install them into your gaming rig and offload/archive to that.

Thanks for the reply, but the idea is to make the gaming rig as small as possible. So wanted to only have one boot/os SSD or even an m.2 drive.