California approves trial program for electronic license plates.

CALIFORNIA.jpg

The California State Senate has approved a test program for electronic license plates.

The trail will be limited the 0.5% of all the registered vehicles in California and will and no before 2017.

The idea is that rather than have a static piece of printed metal adorned with stickers to display proper registration, the plate would be a screen that could wirelessly (likely over a mobile data network) receive updates from a central server to display that same information. In an example shown by a South Carolina vendor, messages such as “STOLEN,” “EXPIRED,” or something similar could also be displayed on a license plate.

body%20image.png

(License plate could be changed remotely)

People have mixed feelings about the trail program, they like the fact that it can easily be listed as stolen but they are concerned about their privacy.

Because if they can change the plate on the go then they can also track it.

“We are worried about any kind of location tracking issue,”

“In its pilot phase, we thought that getting a bunch of privacy protections at the beginning [was the best way to go], and we're asking and requiring them to get a report to the legislature. I've talked already to the state DMV privacy officer; we're expecting to continue to monitor this [situation].”

Source(s) / Full article:

arstechnica news article: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/09/california-poised-to-implement-nations-first-electronic-license-plate-program/

Tweakers news article: https://tweakers.net/nieuws/91167/amerikaanse-staat-gaat-elektronische-kentekenplaten-testen.html

Slashdot news flash: http://yro.slashdot.org/story/13/09/07/1349256/california-legislature-approves-trial-program-for-electronic-plates?utm_source=rss1.0mainlinkanon&utm_medium=feed

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Seems decent but the microchips made in modern number plates work fine, I dont see a need for improvement unless that technology is only in britain at the moment.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Is the whole thing a screen? If so, you'll get a whole load of hackers who will break into the license plate and change it, making it even easier than obtaining another plate and fitting it to your car. I guess it has some uses, but mainly it just opens more security loopholes IMO.

HTTP/2 203

Is the whole thing a screen? If so, you'll get a whole load of hackers who will break into the license plate and change it, making it even easier than obtaining another plate and fitting it to your car. I guess it has some uses, but mainly it just opens more security loopholes IMO.

It depends on if the signals are encrypted and if so, by what methodology.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It depends on if the signals are encrypted and if so, by what methodology.

Even if the signals were encrypted, almost every device from the ATM to a car can be hacked if you have hands on with it for long enough. You could probably overwrite the firmware if you were determined and knowledgeable enough, and there will be some people who can and probably would if it can be done. I guess we'll have to wait and see (until 2017) but personally I think it's a waste of money and has potential to be a major security flaw. Potentially.

HTTP/2 203

I don't really see a point in electronic license plates because it would be pretty expensive to replace if it broke and the wireless signals could be intercepted and thus lose their privacy.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer