Do i need an antivirus software?

voytex
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,
3 hours ago, voytex said:

Hey guys, just as the title says Do i really need an antivirus? does it really help? or its just there to make you worry? 

For paid AV, I personally quite like Kaspersky, and it usually does quite well in the independent AV tests. Depending on where you live, it goes on sale frequently in big box electronics stores (Staples, Best Buy, etc, in US and Canada) - you can often find "1-year 3-computer" boxed copies for $20 or so.

If you're looking for free AV solutions, I often just use Windows Defender (Windows 8/8.1/10) or Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows 7), with Malwarebytes as a fallback/weekly manual scanner.

AVAST is also pretty good in terms of it's capabilities, but I've found that most of the good free AV have become more annoying and naggy about upgrading to their paid versions.

Hey guys, just as the title says Do i really need an antivirus? does it really help? or its just there to make you worry? 

Well its really recommended to have antivirus software. Unless you want Trojan Horses , Viruses, Adware... 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

35 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Well its really recommended to have antivirus software. Unless you want Trojan Horses , Viruses, Adware... 

Good point. So what antivirus do you heartly recommend? 

Yes, you do.
While there is one that comes with Windows, it barely catch anything these days and most AV test use it as a baseline, which is extremely low compared to others, somewhere around 60% compared to the 100% catch rate of AV suites like Kaspersky, bitdefender, Norton, Avira and the likes get.

Some people say to just use the Anti virus that comes with windows along with Malwarebytes, and while it could be "enough" if you're careful on the web, but lets face it, nobody really is and sooner or later you're gonna get infected with just that.

If you don't want to pay anything, AVG or Avast are both worlds better than the crap that comes with Windows.

If you want to pay, the Internet Security suite (the one with the firewall) of AVG and Kaspersky are both good. There's also Norton which no longer offer a "basic" edition that only has the Anti Virus, only Norton Security, which has the firewall and many other similar features to the others.

If you're going with the paid route, I recommend going with whichever is cheaper/on sale, they all essentially provide a very similar protection according to many AV tests. (Yes, even Norton, love it or hate it, it still does it's job as long as the license is valid, just like any other paid security suite)

I believe you should be able to get a 1 year trial of AVG Internet Security if you just get the exe from this promo, but that's for New Users only, so if you've used AVG in the past, and didn't format or something, you won't be getting the 1 year for free.(And yes, that site is legit, you don't even need to put your real email)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Unless you switch to Linux :)

Did everyone see that? Because I will not be doing it again.

I like Avast. I used to have Webroot which was a paid one but the subscription ran out on that and was forced back to using Avast. Malwarebytes is pretty good for getting rid of malware. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

3 hours ago, voytex said:

For paid AV, I personally quite like Kaspersky, and it usually does quite well in the independent AV tests. Depending on where you live, it goes on sale frequently in big box electronics stores (Staples, Best Buy, etc, in US and Canada) - you can often find "1-year 3-computer" boxed copies for $20 or so.

If you're looking for free AV solutions, I often just use Windows Defender (Windows 8/8.1/10) or Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows 7), with Malwarebytes as a fallback/weekly manual scanner.

AVAST is also pretty good in terms of it's capabilities, but I've found that most of the good free AV have become more annoying and naggy about upgrading to their paid versions.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, VicariousStudio said:

Unless you switch to Linux :)

Yeah, because no one makes software for it, not even viruses.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

27 minutes ago, killcomic said:

Yeah, because no one makes software for it, not even viruses.

Is that a joke? There is a LOT of software for linux....

1 minute ago, VicariousStudio said:

Is that a joke? There is a LOT of software for linux....

Ah, Linux users. So easy to stir...

Just now, killcomic said:

Ah, Linux users. So easy to stir...

Hmm. Ok then.

4 hours ago, voytex said:

It depends how well you monitor your system and if you have redundancies in place.

I have not had antivirus on this OS for over two years now.  No crippling virus' so far. 

I ran MalwareBytes a few months ago because of a thread here, out of 400,000 files scanned, it found... zero issues!  What a surprise.

For a redundancy I clone my SSD.  Any crippling virus and I have a fresh clean, updated Windows installation (takes 10 minutes).  I have all my utility programs and even have LoL in the image.

I haven't used one in years and I've been perfectly fine. I just don't do stupid shady things on my PC.

"Rawr XD"

6 minutes ago, VicariousStudio said:

Hmm. Ok then.

But really, telling someone to switch to Linux so casually is like asking someone to swap their car for a helicopter. Both are transport, but you won't be able to do the same things.

I did not tell anyone to switch to linux, casually or otherwise. It was simply a reference to the fact that when it comes to the topic of needing av software as OP asked, a linux os doesn't need one so I was throwing that information in. Now instead of hijacking this thread to "stir linux users" why not contribute something of your own to OP? Im sure they would appreciate it.

Rule of thumb is, if you ask "do I need....?" when it comes to security then yes, you need it.

-KuJoe

3 hours ago, VicariousStudio said:

I did not tell anyone to switch to linux, casually or otherwise. It was simply a reference to the fact that when it comes to the topic of needing av software as OP asked, a linux os doesn't need one so I was throwing that information in. Now instead of hijacking this thread to "stir linux users" why not contribute something of your own to OP? Im sure they would appreciate it.

Oh, but I've amused a few people. I'd say that was time well spent.

Free AV: Avast 

Pay AV: NOD32 - Small memory foot print, non intrusive. 

Having a linux or unix based OS as a second boot is a simple way of adding security at no loss of performance. When ever I do repair work on a PC, I try to install one. I then tell the person to use Windows for work and AAA games and everything else, use the "safe" OS. Common sense and knowing how your computer works and acts is your best defense IMO.