Laptop or pre built pc?

Hello Linustechtips community,

I just had a couple quick questions for you guys. I wanted to invest in a new gaming rig with my tax return. I was looking to spend $1000 for one. I'd go over if I had to but I'd like one for under or right around $1000. My first question was laptop or pre built PC? I would love to build my own but I don't think I could.  Most blogs or forums I have read were leaning towards PC for gamer's. I did a little research and saw iBuypower, cyberpowerPC, and Digital Storm seem to be the popular ones. Of course each has their good reviews and bad reviews.  My last question was what should I get? The only game I'm playing currently and probably for sometime is everquest. I'm on one of their TLP(time lock progression) servers, and am boxing(playing) 4 characters at once. Currently all of my settings are off or on the lowest they can go. My spells effects and everything.  I would like a computer that could handle that with ease and on a decent settings. Anyone out there have any suggestions on what to get? I'd sure appreciate it.

3 minutes ago, sammyboy23 said:

I just had a couple quick questions for you guys. I wanted to invest in a new gaming rig with my tax return. I was looking to spend $1000 for one. I'd go over if I had to but I'd like one for under or right around $1000. My first question was laptop or pre built PC? I would love to build my own but I don't think I could.  Most blogs or forums I have read were leaning towards PC for gamer's. I did a little research and saw iBuypower, cyberpowerPC, and Digital Storm seem to be the popular ones. Of course each has their good reviews and bad reviews.  My last question was what should I get? The only game I'm playing currently and probably for sometime is everquest. I'm on one of their TLP(time lock progression) servers, and am boxing(playing) 4 characters at once. Currently all of my settings are off or on the lowest they can go. My spells effects and everything.  I would like a computer that could handle that with ease and on a decent settings. Anyone out there have any suggestions on what to get? I'd sure appreciate it.

Neither and build your own? If you must buy prebuilt or laptop, laptop then. Why? Cause mobility is going to be freaking awesome.

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

Neither and build your own? If you must buy prebuilt or laptop, laptop then. Why? Cause mobility is going to be freaking awesome.

'Nuff said.

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

On 2/3/2016 at 6:25 PM, sammyboy23 said:

I have news for you, you can build a pc yourself (most likely). It is really not hard at all. Some people make it look hard because they add things like waterblocks and custom radiators, but it is really self explanatory. If you're worried about picking compatible parts, use PCPartPicker. 

7 minutes ago, sammyboy23 said:

Build your own, trust me it is VERY easy, its like an adult lego set, and you can get WAY more for your value, I built one recently and it took me about half an hour, for my FIRST ever time building one

CPU - Intel I3-6100 Motherboard - MSI Z170-A PRO RAM G.SKILL NT Series 8gb 2400MZ DDR4 GPU - Power Color R9 380X Case - NZXT Source 220 Window Storage - 1TB Western Digital Blue PSU - Corsair CX500 OS - Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, jcastro_805 said:

I have news for you, you can build a pc yourself (most likely). It is really not hard at all. Some people make it look hard because they add things like waterblocks and custom radiators, but it is really self explanatory. If you're worried about picking compatible parts, use PCPartPicker. 

Just now, JTB77 said:

Build your own, trust me it is VERY easy, its like an adult lego set, and you can get WAY more for your value, I built one recently and it took me about half an hour, for my FIRST ever time building one

He never said it was hard to build your own pc. It´s very possible his current situation just doesn´t allow him. This assumes too much on the fact that he´s scared about building his own pc, and because of that doesn´t contribute much nor help the OP.

12 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

He never said it was hard to build your own pc. It´s very possible his current situation just doesn´t allow him. This assumes too much on the fact that he´s scared about building his own pc, and because of that doesn´t contribute much nor help the OP.

I would love to build my own but I don't think I could.

he doesnt say he cant but he doesnt think that he can do it so my response is watch some tutorial videos and follow the steps

On 2/3/2016 at 6:35 PM, Starelementpoke said:

If you are afraid of Building your own PC, NCIX offers a service where you can pick out all of your parts and then pay them an extra $50 and they will build your PC and make sure it's working.

Just now, spartaman64 said:

he doesnt say he cant but he doesnt think that he can do it so my response is watch some tutorial videos and follow the steps

Oh shit. I literally did not see that. My bad.

16 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

I'm curious what situation would prevent him from building one? Only things I can think of are budget or lack of knowledge. He clearly has the budget, and knowledge really is no issue. Its stupidly easy. Its like that game toddlers play where you pop the shape into the matching hole. Each component fits into one slot, so its hard to get it wrong. xD Its not like hes gonna accidentally plop the video card in the ram slots.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Its all about the situation, I have a custom built PC but it weighs like a brick. Its pretty difficult to move it around, it goes at the desk and it stays there. No mobility, as for a laptop you can pretty much use it anywhere you want. Most laptop has onboard power in the form of a battery and most do not need to be connected to anything else cable wise.

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

Just now, Tmt97 said:

I'm curious what situation would prevent him from building one? Only things I can think of are budget or lack of knowledge. He clearly has the budget, and knowledge really is no issue. Its stupidly easy. Its like that game toddlers play where you pop the shape into the hole. Each component fits into one slot, so its hard to get it wrong. xD Its not like hes gonna accidentally plot the video card in the ram slots.

Parent´s saying no possibly? Was the case for me for years. 

11 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Parent´s saying no possibly? Was the case for me for years. 

Then you buy the components and have a friend build it.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Just now, Tmt97 said:

Then you buy the components and have a friend build it.

Because it´s not like they´re not going to notice a whole new computer showed up in the house or something. I was more over the point that they object to him having a computer for games in total, not so much as just a computer.

Because it´s not like they´re not going to notice a whole new computer showed up in the house or something. I was more over the point that they object to him having a computer for games in total, not so much as just a computer.

Well if they just object to him having a new computer period, then a whole new prebuilt or laptop won't do much good either, huh? And if they don't want him to have a computer specifically for games then how are they going to know thats what its for? And how would they know that the prebuilt or laptop he buys isnt for games? Both of the problems you listed apply to him getting any computer, regardless of wether or not its custom.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

1 minute ago, Tmt97 said:

Well if they just object to him having a new computer period, then a whole new prebuilt or laptop won't do much good either, huh? And if they don't want him to have a computer specifically for games then how are they going to know thats what its for? And how would they know that the prebuilt or laptop he buys isnt for games? Both of the problems you listed apply to him getting any computer, regardless of wether or not its custom.

They could be just like my dad, and checking what you do every like 20 minutes.

They could be just like my dad, and checking what you do every like 20 minutes.

I guess that could be an issue, but if that is the case and they don't want him getting a pc for gaming then they arn't gonna let him get a new prebuilt for it either, huh? If thats the case, hes screwed either way.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Just now, Tmt97 said:

I guess that could be an issue, but if that is the case and they don't want him getting a pc for gaming then they arn't gonna let him get a new prebuilt for it either, huh? If thats the case, hes screwed either way.

They could let him get a prebuilt being under the pretense that it won´t be sufficient enough to provide an enjoyable enough gaming experience, thus deterring him away from playing the game.

They could let him get a prebuilt being under the pretense that it won´t be sufficient enough to provide an enjoyable enough gaming experience, thus deterring him away from playing the game.

If thats the case he's kinda screwed, and I dunno why he would be asking us for advice on what to buy. Nor would he be looking at ibuypower and cyberpowerpc, or paying $1000, or write that he plays everquest, or specifically write that he is looking to invest in a gaming rig. It doesnt add up man. Did this happen to you maybe? Is that why your stuck on this bizarre theory? I'm very sorry for you if this happened to you, I get it as I had some really controlling parents too. If you'd like to talk about it, pm me.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

1 minute ago, Tmt97 said:

If thats the case he's kinda screwed, and I dunno why he would be asking us for advice on what to buy. Nor would he be looking at ibuypower and cyberpowerpc, or paying $1000, or write that he plays everquest, or specifically write that he is looking to invest in a gaming rig. It doesnt add up man. Did this happen to you maybe? Is that why your stuck on this bizarre theory? I'm very sorry for you if this happened to you, I get it as I had some really controlling parents too. If you'd like to talk about it, pm me.

I´m more over still on this theory because I don´t like being wrong and it´s still valid since you don´t have quite enough decisive evidence to prove it wrong. But yeah, it´s not too far off from my own experiences.

Thank you all for the advice! LOL you conversations are cracking me up.   I'm not in a situation where I can't build one, but like some of you said people hype it up to be harder than it's not apparently. No parent's are coming into play or anyhting. Just fear of f*cking it up. Next to the fear of messing it up is my fear of not knowing what parts I need and whats good and whats not. I could probably google this next question, but the advice I've got from you all  is much better than most I've read.  Is there a  reputable website out there that I could give them a price range, and they could ship all the parts to me. Leaving me to assemble it? 

I´m more over still on this theory because I don´t like being wrong and it´s still valid since you don´t have quite enough decisive evidence to prove it wrong. But yeah, it´s not too far off from my own experiences.

I get not wanting to be wrong man, but dude. xD There is decisive evidence here. The guy quite literally wrote he wants to invest in a gaming rig, and that he plays games. How would those two things be true if as you said he isn't allowed to game, or get a computer for gaming? I don't know what else could possibly prove it to you, if you don't believe the op directly telling us...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

15 minutes ago, sammyboy23 said:

Thank you all for the advice! LOL you conversations are cracking me up.   I'm not in a situation where I can't build one, but like some of you said people hype it up to be harder than it's not apparently. No parent's are coming into play or anyhting. Just fear of f*cking it up. Next to the fear of messing it up is my fear of not knowing what parts I need and whats good and whats not. I could probably google this next question, but the advice I've got from you all  is much better than most I've read.  Is there a  reputable website out there that I could give them a price range, and they could ship all the parts to me. Leaving me to assemble it? 

While i'm sure such a service exists, they would charge so much to do so that you might as well just have bought a prebuilt. If you want, you could get the forums to give you a parts list for free. Or you could also use pcpartpicker which will tell you if the parts you pick are incompatible. And trust me, you wont mess it up when you build it. It's so stupidly easy that you would almost have a harder time finding a way to install it wrong, than installing it correctly even if you read no instructions or watch any tutorials. Just look at the component, and plug it in where it fits. You will know where that is because there won't be anywhere else the same shape. xD

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

19 minutes ago, sammyboy23 said:

God damn it, now I have to admit I´m wrong...

17 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

While i'm sure such a service exists, they would charge so much to do so that you might as well just have bought a prebuilt. If you want, you could get the forums to give you a parts list for free. Or you could also use pcpartpicker which will tell you if the parts you pick are incompatible. And trust me, you wont mess it up when you build it. It's so stupidly easy that you would almost have a harder time finding a way to install it wrong, than installing it correctly even if you read no instructions or watch any tutorials. Just look at the component, and plug it in where it fits. You will know where that is because there won't be anywhere else the same shape. xD

sounds good! I shall build my own! I'll save the parts list for another forum! Thanks for the help and entertainment  all! lol