1080p - 60hz vs 144hz (i5-6600K,R9 390)

Errenar

Hi all i need some advice about monitors

My setup :

i5-6600k and Sapphire R9 390 Tri-X OC

What type of monitor should i choose for it at 1080p? i would use it mainly for intensive gaming but i would also like to be able to watch movies with it.:))

Would an IPS 60hz monitor be good or should i go for a 144hz TN one?:)

Budget is around 200-300 if in dollars, but im from the PH so that would be from Php 10,000 - 14,000

Thanks!:)

higher resolution IMHO is much more important and will improve your gaming experience a lot more than higher refresh rate...my monitor has both and if i had to pick i would keep the resolution but i would drop to 60hz...then i would overclock it to 65hz and call it a day ;)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

any cheap 1440p 24" monitors out there? or are all 1440p monitors 27" and up?:)

36 minutes ago, Errenar said:

any cheap 1440p 24" monitors out there? or are all 1440p monitors 27" and up?:)

there are 25'' but it's a bit small for 1440p...if you want to be able to comfortably read text on the display i highly recommend a 27'' model.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

9 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

higher resolution IMHO is much more important and will improve your gaming experience a lot more than higher refresh rate...my monitor has both and if i had to pick i would keep the resolution but i would drop to 60hz...then i would overclock it to 65hz and call it a day ;)

I'm guessing you don't play and fps's then?

11 hours ago, Errenar said:

Hi all i need some advice about monitors

My setup :

i5-6600k and Sapphire R9 390 Tri-X OC

What type of monitor should i choose for it at 1080p? i would use it mainly for intensive gaming but i would also like to be able to watch movies with it.:))

Would an IPS 60hz monitor be good or should i go for a 144hz TN one?:)

Budget is around 200-300 if in dollars, but im from the PH so that would be from Php 10,000 - 14,000

Thanks!:)

I'm going to try and be as objective as possible, but I'll have some potential bias because I've never actually used a 144Hz panel.

If you're going to be watching movies, then I would definitely say the IPS panel. The richer colours will allow for a better experience. Touching this topic, my friend recently bought a 144Hz panel after getting rid of his 980 SLI setup and 3440x1440 ultrawide IPS panel. He said he absolutely hates the high refresh rate panel because the colours look crap and he couldn't notice the higher refresh rate.

However, on the flipside, many people who go high refresh rate say they can never go back. So the experience is obviously a good one.

If you're going to be playing mainly competitive CS:GO, twitch-reaction games etc etc, then high refresh rate panel may be the better option. However, if you want a greater visual experience with better colours, not to mention a better movie watching experience, then the 60Hz IPS would be the way to go.

I am intentionally holding off on getting a high refresh rate panel until I can afford something sexy like the Asus PG279Q, then at least I don't have to settle for TN.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

2 hours ago, Kryptic BladeZz said:

I'm guessing you don't play and fps's then?

yes i absolutely do, i play battlefield 4 and black ops 3, i also play hardline and battlefield 3 from time to time and i used to play on my ''overclocked to 65hz'' 1080p monitor and i was doing really good, and yes higher refresh rates help but higher resolution ALSO help a huge deal in spotting ennemy in the distance for example and just get cleaner pictures to look at is just plain better.

Maybe if he is a hardcore FPS gamer and has absolutely zero care about graphics quality and fidelity then high refresh rates would benefit him more but for me personaly like i said if i had to let go the features one by one the high refresh rate would have to go away before higher-resolution or even Gsync.

Personally i think people make a big fuss about refresh rate but honestly yes the difference between 60hz and 80hz is really noticeable but anything beyond that is not really any different (at least for me personaly) and 60FPS remain perfectly playable...even for FPS.

First off, thank you for all the feedback really appreciate it.:)

The only FPS i play competitively is CS:GO and maybe rainbow six in the future when i buy it but im more of a MMORPG/RPG/RTS/MOBA type of gamer, and of course it cut down my cost to about 40% if i go with 60hz IPS panels rather than 144hz TN panels but i would buy a monitor that could utilize my rig, more than a cheaper monitor that can't since i plan to use this monitor for a long time.:)

3 hours ago, Errenar said:

First off, thank you for all the feedback really appreciate it.:)

The only FPS i play competitively is CS:GO and maybe rainbow six in the future when i buy it but im more of a MMORPG/RPG/RTS/MOBA type of gamer, and of course it cut down my cost to about 40% if i go with 60hz IPS panels rather than 144hz TN panels but i would buy a monitor that could utilize my rig, more than a cheaper monitor that can't since i plan to use this monitor for a long time.:)

i recently moved up from a 60hz 1080p IPS to a 144/165hz 1440p IPS monitor and even on games like WoW and D3 i am able to notice that is far far smoother on a 144hz monitor. i recently had to have the stand on my 1440p replaced so i went back to using my 1080p at 60hz and it was painful lol. if you can afford it go for 144hz @ 1440p you wont regret it

1 hour ago, Clarifiante said:

i recently moved up from a 60hz 1080p IPS to a 144/165hz 1440p IPS monitor and even on games like WoW and D3 i am able to notice that is far far smoother on a 144hz monitor. i recently had to have the stand on my 1440p replaced so i went back to using my 1080p at 60hz and it was painful lol. if you can afford it go for 144hz @ 1440p you wont regret it

Yes! The best of both worlds.

A 1440p monitor in general is over my budget, and I only have enough space for a 24" monitor.:), hence my question in choosing the right monitor.:), as i've said the main competitive FPS I play is CS:GO for now.:), oh and this will be my very first build.:)

On 2/3/2016 at 9:25 PM, Kryptic BladeZz said:

I switched from 60 to 144hz and I can tell you right now I CANNOT go back to 60hz. 144hz>1440p/IPS for me.

I'm waiting for those rumored 3440 x 1440 144Hz monitors....I can't go back to a 60Hz panel xD

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |

23 minutes ago, Steven9595 said:

I'm waiting for those rumored 3440 x 1440 144Hz monitors....I can't go back to a 60Hz panel xD

The AUO and Samsung ones? Those are going to be VA.

I again will be the preacher of VA, and mention it is superior to IPS and TN for contrast ratio and therefore anything with... dark to light colors in it. 

Everyone keeps ejaculating over viewing angles meanwhile I'm over here with 4x, nearly 5x the contrast ratio which is a significantly more noticeable improvement to my viewing experience.

30 minutes ago, Hunched said:

The AUO and Samsung ones? Those are going to be VA.

I again will be the preacher of VA, and mention it is superior to IPS and TN for contrast ratio and therefore anything with... dark to light colors in it. 

Everyone keeps ejaculating over viewing angles meanwhile I'm over here with 4x, nearly 5x the contrast ratio which is a significantly more noticeable improvement to my viewing experience.

Yeah I could give a shit less about viewing angles. Like, I'm always going to be facing it directly...soo...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |

30 minutes ago, Steven9595 said:

Yeah I could give a shit less about viewing angles. Like, I'm always going to be facing it directly...soo...

It can effect the edges of the screen even when in front on TN though, there can be color shift while sitting directly in front of it.

With VA, viewing angles are barely an issue, they're a lot better than TN but not quite as good as IPS.

I agree with your statement in the context of VA panels, but TN can still be pretty shit even directly in front, especially if it's a big TN.

VA is superior to both for being nearly immune to backlight bleed/glow issues that plague IPS (not as much of an issue with TN) and have way better blacks and deep colors in general. 

IPS and TN have 1000:1 contrast ratios while VA gets 4000:1 to 5000:1 which is huge in comparison.

I mean the reason everyone is drooling over OLED is because of its insane contrast ratio, insane blacks, yet all have IPS and overlook VA which is about the closest you can get to that with monitors right now lol...

It's silly, it really is.

I really just don't get the IPS hype and the general unawareness of VA.

Apparently people get hyped about being able to play their games at a 90 degree angle from their monitor or something.

LG 24GM777 or Asus VC239H?:)),, or is there a good 24" VA Panel out there that fits my budget?:), seems like a good alternative.:)

9 hours ago, Errenar said:

LG 24GM777 or Asus VC239H?:)),, or is there a good 24" VA Panel out there that fits my budget?:), seems like a good alternative.:)

I will mention that the big downside to VA is pixel transitions, so with certain shades there can be more blur than on IPS and TN.

It's mostly never noticeable, but happens with blacks/greys and such. 

Every type of panel has their downsides, I personally find VA's to be the least annoying of them all.

Even OLED has its downsides.

For a 1080p 24" VA panel, there were only 2 new panels of this type released in 2015, one from Samsung and one from AUO.

Samsung's offering is the S24E510C.

AUO gives their panel to multiple manufacturer's, their recent VA panel can be found in the BenQ GW2470H and like 5 other recent 24" BenQ VA panels lol...

Besides BenQ the AUO panel is also in the Iiyama ProLite XB2483HSU-B2

It could be in more displays, but it's hard to know since brands never really say what panel they're using.

Try them both and see what you prefer.  This is about the sight of your own eyes.  Not other peoples honest opinions, get proper comparisons between 2 of the monitors you like. 

Acer G257HU smidpx pretty decent 27" QHD IPS @ 60Hz panel for almost 300 bucks.

Asus VG248QE is a good 24" FHD TN @ 144Hz panel for also around 300 bucks.