What can I do about Windows?

c_marriott

As Windows 10 is locked to the CPU what do I do when I decide to upgrade it?

Is there a way to get out of reinstalling Windows? Or is that the only way?

CPU: FX-6300 GPU: Sapphire R9 380X MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB PSU: XFX XTR 550W CASE: Zalman Z11 Plus SSD: Samsung 840 Evo

17 years old, PC Enthusiast for 3. Be gentle with me, I'm only young.

Don't bother. Get 8.1 instead. Much more stable and optimized

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Sorry, getting a new CPU is the only way. I recommend the Intel Celeron E1200 due to its high performance in gaming and its great overclocking ability.

My legit rig:

CPU: i5 6600k GPU: Asus Strix 1070 RAM: 16 GB of Corsair LPX CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 Motherboard:  Asus Z170I Pro Gaming Storage: Adata Sp550 120 GB and WD Black 3 TB Case: NZXT Manta Power Supply: EVGA 550 GS Monitors: 2 LG 25UM58-P Ultrawides Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid-i Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB

4 minutes ago, SirCallow said:

Sorry, getting a new CPU is the only way. I recommend the Intel Celeron E1200 due to its high performance in gaming and its great overclocking ability.

5 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Don't bother. Get 8.1 instead. Much more stable and optimized

I mean upgrading the CPU while currently on 10. Sorry didn't word that well

CPU: FX-6300 GPU: Sapphire R9 380X MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB PSU: XFX XTR 550W CASE: Zalman Z11 Plus SSD: Samsung 840 Evo

17 years old, PC Enthusiast for 3. Be gentle with me, I'm only young.

57 minutes ago, c_marriott said:

Should just install windows 7 over 10, also I think you're allowed to change your hardware a few times, it's probably just the OEM windows 10 stuff that's super locked down

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 hour ago, c_marriott said:

Have not done it yet, but if history is any guide you should be able to install Windows 10 on the new cpu. You may need to call MS and get them to re-activate the installation. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/upgrading-motherboard-ram-and-cpu-after-installing/4c64708d-5fdc-4e39-a864-28a119810b06?auth=1 suggests this is the case.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.