how 200MB/SEC with 2 gigabyte ports?

Bajantechnician
Go to solution Solved by .:MARK:.,

So you watched the video and decided that you wanted to do the same?

Linus demonstrates file transfers between two computers that are both running Windows 8+, and if you pay further attention you'd notice he even had difficulty with that.

But even that served a purpose, to move files faster between 2 computers where the internal network is the bottleneck. If you have no other device which you plan on moving files to, this doesn't even apply. What kind of bottleneck do you intend to alleviate by plugging two cables rather than one? As you said, you subscribe to a 50/50 Mbit/s internet service. If my math is correct, 50 Mbit/s is less than 1000 Mbit/s so increasing that to 2000 Mbit/s even if it were possible with your equipment, would yield no benefit.

So I have a godlike gaming motherboard.

It has 2 e2400 gigabit lan controllers, resulting in 2 gigabit ports.

Can i do the same thing as linus did in this video:

But instead of 400mbps with 4 ports,

can i get 200mbps with 2 ports?

also, the'yre not gigabyte nics, they're integrated into the MOBO.

Thanks

Yes you can use more or less ports than shown in the video. Remember both the client and server need to support SMB3 multichannel, SMB3 support alone is not enough. Currently the off the shelf NAS products from the likes of Synology and QNAP do not support multichannel and neither does FreeNAS etc. They all use SAMBA underneath to create the SMB shares and it is this that does not support it.

SAMBA 4.4 will support multichannel which is due for release in March 2016.

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yes you can use more or less ports than shown in the video. Remember both the client and server need to support SMB3 multichannel, SMB3 support alone is not enough. Currently the off the shelf NAS products from the likes of Synology and QNAP do not support multichannel and neither does FreeNAS etc. They all use SAMBA underneath to create the SMB shares and it is this that does not support it.

SAMBA 4.4 will support multichannel which is due for release in March 2016.

Im planning to connect my router to the motherboard.

Will there be a speed difference?

Its a verizon fios router

12 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Im planning to connect my router to the motherboard.

Will there be a speed difference?

Its a verizon fios router

Unfortunately not, plugging more connections in won't help if the application or operating system cannot use them. The extra connections will be on and working in a sense but no extra traffic will go across them to give you a speed up as you desire to achieve.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Unfortunately not, plugging more connections in won't help if the application or operating system cannot use them. The extra connections will be on and working in a sense but no extra traffic will go across them to give you a speed up as you desire to achieve.

Is theere any way i can maniulate it to use those for traffic as well?

6 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Is theere any way i can maniulate it to use those for traffic as well?

with a normal setup, what you would have is two completely independent links between your computer and your router. your computer would choose one of them for sending all it's traffic, and the router would do the same. you need a specific situation for those two links to either be seen as one, or both used. One such possibility is port trunking, which can be done only if supported by both NICs (usually on a motherboard, this is supported if both are Intel NICs), as well as supported by the other device you are plugging into (router or switch). And if, for example, another device had two gigabit links trunked together on the same router or switch, you wouldn't be able to get more than 1Gb/s between the two - that's just how the algorithms behind link aggregation were made. They were designed for a single server with multiple clients. There is nothing you can do about this - it is a hard and fast rule of link aggregation.

The other option is a protocol such as SMB3 multichannel. If both the server and the client don't support multichannel, as laid out above by others, there is nothing you can do about it.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

8 hours ago, brwainer said:

with a normal setup, what you would have is two completely independent links between your computer and your router. your computer would choose one of them for sending all it's traffic, and the router would do the same. you need a specific situation for those two links to either be seen as one, or both used. One such possibility is port trunking, which can be done only if supported by both NICs (usually on a motherboard, this is supported if both are Intel NICs), as well as supported by the other device you are plugging into (router or switch). And if, for example, another device had two gigabit links trunked together on the same router or switch, you wouldn't be able to get more than 1Gb/s between the two - that's just how the algorithms behind link aggregation were made. They were designed for a single server with multiple clients. There is nothing you can do about this - it is a hard and fast rule of link aggregation.

The other option is a protocol such as SMB3 multichannel. If both the server and the client don't support multichannel, as laid out above by others, there is nothing you can do about it.

How do check if they do support it? And how do I set it up if it does? 

32 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

How do check if they do support it? And how do I set it up if it does? 

At this point in time, SMB3 multichannel (which is different from plain SMB3) is only supported by Windows 8 and up, and Windows Server 2012 and up. Pretty much everything else (synology, freenas, unraid, OSX, all other forms of linux and bsd) gets its SMB support via software called SAMBA. SAMBA supports SMB3, but not multichannel. Version 4.4 is expected to support multichannel and be released around March. After SAMBA 4.4 comes out, you will have to wait for whatever software / OS you are using to be updated to support it.

1 minute ago, brwainer said:

At this point in time, SMB3 multichannel (which is different from plain SMB3) is only supported by Windows 8 and up, and Windows Server 2012 and up. Pretty much everything else (synology, freenas, unraid, OSX, all other forms of linux and bsd) gets its SMB support via software called SAMBA. SAMBA supports SMB3, but not multichannel. Version 4.4 is expected to support multichannel and be released around March. After SAMBA 4.4 comes out, you will have to wait for whatever software / OS you are using to be updated to support it.

Using Windows 8.1 pro

20 minutes ago, Trikein said:

What FIOS gateway do you have? Model number should be printed somewhere on it. MI424WR? Little outside my comfort zone, but does this help?

OP's question has nothing to do with multiple VLANs, and unless he wants to set up port aggregation, there is nothing the router has to do in this situation. The router just has to sit there and do it's normal functions that all routers at this point support (local wire speed switching of LAN packets via a switch ASIC)

EDIT: maybe you got confused when I used Trunking earlier? A trunk can either be used to mean link aggregation, two or more ports combined together, or it can mean a port on a switch that is a tagged member of all VLANs without being set as such.

Using Windows 8.1 pro

Ok so your client is 8.1 pro, what about your server? That has to support it too. Or is your server 8.1 pro as well?

2 hours ago, brwainer said:

Ok so your client is 8.1 pro, what about your server? That has to support it too. Or is your server 8.1 pro as well?

Server?

I want to connect the router to the pc using 2 ethernet cables to reach 200mb/s

Server?

For what purpose though? This will do nothing for internet speeds and unless you transfer files regularly across your network to another computer you gain nothing by doing this.

21 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Server?

200MB/s..... to what? We're been talking about SMB3 multichannel, which is only applicable for file transfers between computers. As in two computers. And the one hosting the SMB file share is called the server, even if it's just running a non-server OS. There is no point in trying to get two gigabit links working together between your router and your computer if nothing else connected to the router can do the same thing. The only exception is for a server with multiple clients, in which case ther server is using it's more than gigabit capacity to server miltiple clients at gigabit speed each.

32 minutes ago, brwainer said:

200MB/s..... to what? We're been talking about SMB3 multichannel, which is only applicable for file transfers between computers. As in two computers. And the one hosting the SMB file share is called the server, even if it's just running a non-server OS. There is no point in trying to get two gigabit links working together between your router and your computer if nothing else connected to the router can do the same thing. The only exception is for a server with multiple clients, in which case ther server is using it's more than gigabit capacity to server miltiple clients at gigabit speed each.

45 minutes ago, leadeater said:

For what purpose though? This will do nothing for internet speeds and unless you transfer files regularly across your network to another computer you gain nothing by doing this.

So my speeds for internet and such won't increase?

This won't be a connection between two computers, only between the router and my pc.

3 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

This won't be a connection between two computers, only between the router and my pc.

Ok so tell me this.... How do you plan to get over 1Gbps from the internet into the router? The Verizon ONT only has a single 1Gb ethernet port. The only company to offer higher speeds in the US is Comcast with a 2Gb service... And AFAIK that 2Gb can only be utilized by their router/modem combo. 

Edit: I think there is one small ISP offering a 10Gb service, but if you were talking about that you would have said. I think it's in Vermont.

3 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Nope. What is funny is if you look about a day ago, I commented on the video in your OP:

"TheRealTrikein 1 day ago
 To anyone wondering, this will NOT increase your internet speed, only the speed of which you can transfer files around on your network."

5 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Ok so tell me this.... How do you plan to get over 1Gbps from the internet into the router? The Verizon ONT only has a single 1Gb ethernet port. The only company to offer higher speeds in the US is Comcast with a 2Gb service... And AFAIK that 2Gb can only be utilized by their router/modem combo. 

Edit: I think there is one small ISP offering a 10Gb service, but if you were talking about that you would have said. I think it's in Vermont.

Lol,

So it's not possible?

if you can figure out a way to get more than 1 gigabit from the internet to your router, it is possible. But honestly - are you even on Verizon's fastest FIOS plan? You'd probably get faster internet by upgrading with them. Your bottleneck is your internet connection, not your link to your router.

4 minutes ago, brwainer said:

if you can figure out a way to get more than 1 gigabit from the internet to your router, it is possible. But honestly - are you even on Verizon's fastest FIOS plan? You'd probably get faster internet by upgrading with them. Your bottleneck is your internet connection, not your link to your router.

50/\ 50\/  but im going to have to call them, as im getting 40up 40 down

I consistently get 60 down 55 up on my FIOS business 50/50 line, so yeah 40/40 you should call them.

So you watched the video and decided that you wanted to do the same?

Linus demonstrates file transfers between two computers that are both running Windows 8+, and if you pay further attention you'd notice he even had difficulty with that.

But even that served a purpose, to move files faster between 2 computers where the internal network is the bottleneck. If you have no other device which you plan on moving files to, this doesn't even apply. What kind of bottleneck do you intend to alleviate by plugging two cables rather than one? As you said, you subscribe to a 50/50 Mbit/s internet service. If my math is correct, 50 Mbit/s is less than 1000 Mbit/s so increasing that to 2000 Mbit/s even if it were possible with your equipment, would yield no benefit.

Comb it with a brick

I think everyone is giving great hypothetical advice, but I feel simple, to the point answers may be more helpful.

@Bajantechnician  Basically forget you saw the video. Nothing to do with you. Props for being inquisitive enough to want to learn, but what you are asking is the equivalent  of wanting to put monster truck tires on a bike. Doesn't make it faster, pain to do, cost a whole lot, and will probably break things. 

If you want to get faster internet, call Verizon and ask about your plan. Also ask about updating your gateway. I know they have those new slick looking Quantum gateways.