Skylake DDR3 Support.....

Go to solution Solved by pxystus545,

I know that Skylake supports DDR3L but i dont know what DDR3L is... Is it the same as run of the mill DDR3?

2 minutes ago, MacAlisterL said:

I know that Skylake supports DDR3L but i dont know what DDR3L is... Is it the same as run of the mill DDR3?

DDR3 that runs at a lower voltage. I'm pretty sure you can use regular DDR3 and the voltage will get adjusted.

It's DDR3 Low Voltage. Normal DDR3 can run in most of the Skylake DDR3L boards AFAIK. 

2 minutes ago, Badazzz said:

You just linked to a forum. If everyone had your attitude, that answer wouldn't be there. The LMGTFY attitude is unhelpful, unneeded and against forum rules. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

It's DDR3 Low Voltage. Normal DDR3 can run in most of the Skylake DDR3L boards AFAIK. 

You just linked to a forum. If everyone had your attitude, that answer wouldn't be there. The LMGTFY attitude is unhelpful, needed and against forum rules. 

Creating a topic for every question you have is also unhelpful.

My ~$200 USD build:

AMD A8-7600    G. Skill Ripjaws Z @1800 CAS 8     EVGA 500w 80+ PSU    Gigabyte GAF2A68HM-DS2H Motherboard

2 minutes ago, Adrian Sion said:

No, DDR3L and DDR3 are totally different DIMM types. A DDR3 motherboard will require DDR3, and a DDR3L motherboard will require DDR3L. Skylake, like you said, supports DDR3L as long as the socket supports lga 1151.

Edit: I believe they actually are interchangeable in their slots, but as for support from the CPU I don't think DDR3 is supported by Skylake

Skylake can use DDR3 or DDR4, as long as the motherboard supports DDR3.

DDR3L is the same as DDR3 except it runs at 1.3v instead of 1.5 or 1.65

apparently DDR3 works with skylake, but it makes the memory controller on the CPU run at 1.5v or 1.65v which isnt too healthy IMO

and it hasnt been out long enough for any info on longevity to exist

i personally wouldnt use DDR3 with skylake even though other people have done it and it works

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Adrian Sion said:

No, DDR3L and DDR3 are totally different DIMM types. A DDR3 motherboard will require DDR3, and a DDR3L motherboard will require DDR3L. Skylake, like you said, supports DDR3L as long as the socket supports lga 1151.

Edit: I believe they actually are interchangeable in their slots, but as for support from the CPU I don't think DDR3 is supported by Skylake

DDR3/DDR3L are interchangeable; the only different is the voltage - L stand for low. Skylake will work with regular DDR3, but you risk burning out your memory controller on the CPU.

blackshades on

1 minute ago, Badazzz said:

Creating a topic for every question you have is also unhelpful.

If it annoys you, ignore it. If somebody makes a topic, it's because they want a legitimate answer from people, and not people telling them to Google it. That's how forums work.

Skylake only supports DDR4 And DDR3l. afaik, DDR3l is normally in SoDIMM form which is the size that is normally in laptops

Just now, Adrian Sion said:

Thanks, I didn't know that. Although AFAIK you won't find many boards supporting both LGA 1151 and DDR3

Actually, there are a fair few that do. Mostly lower end boards such as H110/B150 and a few H170/Z170 in there as well.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#s=30&L=3&sort=a8&page=1

DDR3L is just at a reduced voltage.

~` please , don't let my whole life burn down `~

- why can't i just focus right now? -

; i'm tired ;