1440 or 4K

BamalambaDingDong

hey guys,

I'm planning a new rig, I currently sit on 1080p and I have been thinking about moving on up to new heights. But my question is to what? 4K is the top resolution, but no display can push it farther than 60hz at the moment, not for a good price anyways, not like the buttery smoothness you can get with 1440p. What are people's advice and experience on the upgrade choice?

There ain't no getting off this train, until the end of the line!

imo 1440

easier to power

no scaling issue to my understanding

cheaper

faster

reasonable to power which imo NOTHING can properly power everything in 4k unless you have over $1000 in gfx cards

imo go cheap 1440, look at 4k in ...what..I dunno...3 4 years when considering a gpu upgrade.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

1440, 4k is currently a hassle for hardware to run well, currently I have no reason to upgrade from 1080p though since I can't see the pixels from where I sit anyway

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

7 minutes ago, BamalambaDingDong said:

hey guys,

I'm planning a new rig, I currently sit on 1080p and I have been thinking about moving on up to new heights. But my question is to what? 4K is the top resolution, but no display can push it farther than 60hz at the moment, not for a good price anyways, not like the buttery smoothness you can get with 1440p. What are people's advice and experience on the upgrade choice?

I have both 1440p and 4k panels and love the sharpness of 4K, but for gaming 1440p and higher refresh rates is probably the best option! :D

thanks for your advice on this one guys, any other advice or opinions/experiences people want to give are more than welcome!

Now to start saving for an X34 predator -.-

There ain't no getting off this train, until the end of the line!

It all depends on the usage.  If you are a content creator who needs a lot of screen real estate 4k panels make a lot of sense.  The more things you can look at on your screen at a time the better.  

But from a gaming perspective, 4k might look gorgeous, but we still aren't at a point where there's video cards capable of pushing good frame rates at high settings.  ...without building a $5,000 pc that is.
I think 1440 is a much better solution for gaming at the moment.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

I'd suggest hitting the nearest tech store where you live and see if you can test run an ultrawide. I'd say either get a 1080p ultrawide or 1440p one. 4k is overrated, and takes a beastly of a card to even hit 60fps consistently.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

4k isn't worth it hardware wise for gaming just yet IMO. Yes current hardware can playback 4k gaming, but it will be at lower FPS and lower quality, than if you were to just play at 1440p.

Only get 4k "right now", if you need the extra desktop space, for work or something. Otherwise, wait at least another GPU gen or two, before invested in 4K.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I personally find 1440p at 27" or so to be the sweet spot right now. 4k is still difficult to run at high settings except on the best hardware. 1440p has the sharpness, while still capable of being ran at high settings on a lot more hardware than 4k. Plus, 1440p panel quality tends to be better than 4k displays. Most cheap 4k panels are tn, while many 1440p panels are ips or ips equivalents.

5 minutes ago, Pyroshank said:

1440P is the easy option for me. It's cheap and does not require LMG Computors to run. I recommend watching this from 3kliksphilip

Why does this guy sounds like Frankie on PC guy xd

I personally prefer (and know a lot of others who) like 1080p/2K/1440p monitors with refresh rates over 60Hz, and the higher the better. You end up with much smoother gameplay that's easier to run than 4K, and it won't break your bank NEARLY as much.

Just now, Redicat said:

Why does this guy sounds like Frankie on PC guy xd

Maybe because they a both from England, not sure.

4K if your hardware can run it, 1440p if it cant. Also consider 144hz 1440p. I'm going 4k 60hz personally, because of the extra resolution and because my 8350 cant really do 144 FPS in most games