Do I need the Fiber?

Giuseppe96
Go to solution Solved by Trikein,
19 minutes ago, Giuseppe96 said:

I know that i can't reach over 300 mbps in my country (italy) but i want to know if in my home network i can transfer files with other pcs at 1gbps using copper ethernet cable (obviously upgrading router and switch of course) 

You can get up to 10Gbps connection rates using ethernet, specifically CAT6a. See video here.  However you will be bottlenecked by other hardware on your system, maxing out at probably around 450Mbps. To get around that, you need to spend even more money. See video here.

It all comes down to money. To get faster speed you have to invest in faster network hardware. Fiber just isn't designed for a home network. It is designed to transfer large amounts of data very quickly over long distances. That is why it is used by data centers and huge corporate networks. My advice is to forget about fiber and do some research on what kind of ethernet you want. I can give advice, but need to know how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. ^_^

Hi ! I have in my home actually the VDSL at the speed of 30Mb/s. I want to upgrade to Full Fiber, but I have in each room an Ethernet Cable on the wall... should I use that cables or I've to upgrade also those?

Is there any difference between a copper cable or fiber cable? 

fibre is what goes from the ISPs servers to your house

you do not replace your ethernet cables with fiber optic cables

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It depends what the cables are. If they're Cat5e or above, they can support at least 1000BASE-T (maximum of 100m for the most part). Unless you have a 1Gbps + connection, the cables in the walls are most likely enough. 

EDIT: It's very uncommon to use fibre cables for home networks. The equipment needed to support it is expensive. 

So the cable that I have in the walls support up to 1Gbps? 

58 minutes ago, Giuseppe96 said:

So the cable that I have in the walls support up to 1Gbps? 

Most likely yes. You should not have to replace them unless they are really old (before running network cables in walls was a thing) or broken.

Where do all the ethernet comes together? You either have a patch panel or a switch/router connecting them together. When you find that, look at the ethernet plugged in. Their type should be printed on the wire. Also what model switch/panel? That also needs to be 1Gbps. Most are 10/100Mbps.

3 hours ago, Giuseppe96 said:

Hi ! I have in my home actually the VDSL at the speed of 30Mb/s. I want to upgrade to Full Fiber, but I have in each room an Ethernet Cable on the wall... should I use that cables or I've to upgrade also those?

What do you consider full fiber? Running your whole house with fiber cables or getting fiber optic internet?

16 minutes ago, dzonidev said:

What do you consider full fiber? Running your whole house with fiber cables or getting fiber optic internet?

Running fiber optic internet

40 minutes ago, Trikein said:

Where do all the ethernet comes together? You either have a patch panel or a switch/router connecting them together. When you find that, look at the ethernet plugged in. Their type should be printed on the wire. Also what model switch/panel? That also needs to be 1Gbps. Most are 10/100Mbps.

I don't think but i'll check and if necessary i'll upgrade :D

6 minutes ago, Giuseppe96 said:

Ok generally, for the house network you can't go lower than 100mbps. However I did not see you mention to which kind of speeds you plan on upgrading to. But I guess the first thing to do is to check where is the network "core" so to speak, what type of cables are you running and what is connecting them and we will go from there.

If you have trouble identifying any of the above, then send us a few screenshots.

If even with fiber optic service. You cant tell me your going to get more than 1Gbps. If so who is your provider. If you have Cat 5e or Cat 6 in your walls then your good. I dont think I ever seen any one run fiber optic cable in their house. Is that even economically feasible? I mean that has to be hell of expensive. As stated above check your patch panel, your networking equipment make sure its 1Gbps capable.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 hours ago, dzonidev said:

Ok generally, for the house network you can't go lower than 100mbps. However I did not see you mention to which kind of speeds you plan on upgrading to. But I guess the first thing to do is to check where is the network "core" so to speak, what type of cables are you running and what is connecting them and we will go from there.

If you have trouble identifying any of the above, then send us a few screenshots.

okok, but how do you mean writing network "core"?

9 hours ago, Giuseppe96 said:

I think you are confusing a LAN configure to run on fiber, and a fiber ISP(FTTP). If you have to ask how or if you should run fiber in your house, the answer is probably going to be no. Its like the old saying goes "If you have to ask the price...".

Go ahead and get a fiber ISP. Part of the installation will be a Optical Network Terminal(ONT) which you can then connect to your ethernet LAN. Make sure your router, ethernet(CAT6), and switch panel are all gigabit compatible. The network "core" is what ever device connects your ethernet network together. Could be a switch, or switch panel or a router. You need to go to your basement or where ever your network closet is and look. 

1 hour ago, Giuseppe96 said:

okok, but how do you mean writing network "core"?

Bad wording from my side. Basically, find the place where all the Ethernet cables are connected, it should be a patch panel with maybe a switch or a hub. It is usually in the basement if your house has one, otherwise it should be near your maintenance panel maybe inside it.

EDIT:
Actually, what speeds do you want to get with fiber?

26 minutes ago, dzonidev said:

Bad wording from my side. Basically, find the place where all the Ethernet cables are connected, it should be a patch panel with maybe a switch or a hub. It is usually in the basement if your house has one, otherwise it should be near your maintenance panel maybe inside it.

EDIT:
Actually, what speeds do you want to get with fiber?

I know that i can't reach over 300 mbps in my country (italy) but i want to know if in my home network i can transfer files with other pcs at 1gbps using copper ethernet cable (obviously upgrading router and switch of course) 

14 hours ago, Giuseppe96 said:

It depends on some factor. 

Here are some you should consider 

- can you afford it?

- how fast is it?

- consider it in your location example : malaysia, 10mbps maxis fiber internet( current) vs 1.5 GB day1.5 GB night maxis broadband(old)

19 minutes ago, Giuseppe96 said:

You can get up to 10Gbps connection rates using ethernet, specifically CAT6a. See video here.  However you will be bottlenecked by other hardware on your system, maxing out at probably around 450Mbps. To get around that, you need to spend even more money. See video here.

It all comes down to money. To get faster speed you have to invest in faster network hardware. Fiber just isn't designed for a home network. It is designed to transfer large amounts of data very quickly over long distances. That is why it is used by data centers and huge corporate networks. My advice is to forget about fiber and do some research on what kind of ethernet you want. I can give advice, but need to know how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. ^_^

On 1 febbraio 2016 at 0:02 PM, Trikein said:

I've checked on my hardware, the copper inside the wall i don't know the maximum speed, but I have connected to the main router a 12 port 10/100 MBPS (and i'll probably upgrade) and I've also in my room an Apple Time capsule connected to all my devices in my room. I would configure a sort of NAS to stream some movies on Living room's TV that support DLNA and UPNP (Sony Smart TV) but i can't see anything if someone else uses internet, so the problem is not to have fastest internet (because actually is impossible) but to have fastest home network speed. Have anyone other advice or other tips for me to improve something? :D:D 

1 gbps connections are MORE than adequate in the house for standard consumers such as myself streaming films to the TV from my Plex server PC, Whilst streaming programs to my laptop via wifi at 1080, whilst downloading, whilst the wife is on her forums and facebook... whilst I have / had a mine craft and team speak server running. All with zero lag. and im also on 30meg down internet.

10 hours ago, Giuseppe96 said:

a 12 port 10/100 MBPS (and i'll probably upgrade)

upgrading that to a 12 or 16 port gigabit switch should be all the upgrading you need to do. you could check your wiring now to see if all 4 pairs are connected at every point, but I would personally wait until after I had gigabit capable hardware before worrying about wiring. No sense checking all your wires when you can find out later whether or not a particular wire in a particular room works at gigabit.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

On 1/31/2016 at 11:45 AM, Giuseppe96 said:

Just to let you know, fibre that is offered by your ISP is not the fibre you are thinking of. What you will be getting is fibre to the node, which basically means that your data will be carried through a fibre link all the way from the ISP to your grid, and then the data will be transferred over to copper cabling and into your house. So yes it does get to you faster but you are not getting fibre all the way to your home so the wiring is the same. The reason for this is that fibre is expensive as fuck and unless you're willing to pay big bucks for a line straight to your door it won't be that way.

3 hours ago, KraftDinner said:

Just to let you know, fibre that is offered by your ISP is not the fibre you are thinking of. What you will be getting is fibre to the node, which basically means that your data will be carried through a fibre link all the way from the ISP to your grid, and then the data will be transferred over to copper cabling and into your house. So yes it does get to you faster but you are not getting fibre all the way to your home so the wiring is the same. The reason for this is that fibre is expensive as fuck and unless you're willing to pay big bucks for a line straight to your door it won't be that way.

I have fiber to the side of my house, and I'm not paying a ridiculous amount of it. Yes some places are doing FTTN (Fiber to the node or fiber to the neighborhood) but there is also a lot of FTTP (fiber to the premises) or FTTH (fiber to the home). And FTTN really started about 10 years ago, even cable companies have a large amount of fiber in their local networks nowadays. much cheaper for them to have fiber to each neighborhood than a lot of coax.

On 1/31/2016 at 11:45 AM, Giuseppe96 said:
6 minutes ago, brwainer said:

I have fiber to the side of my house, and I'm not paying a ridiculous amount of it. Yes some places are doing FTTN (Fiber to the node or fiber to the neighborhood) but there is also a lot of FTTP (fiber to the premises) or FTTH (fiber to the home). And FTTN really started about 10 years ago, even cable companies have a large amount of fiber in their local networks nowadays. much cheaper for them to have fiber to each neighborhood than a lot of coax.

Oh I see, my city tends to charge a shit load for service like this, are you in the states?

26 minutes ago, KraftDinner said:

Yes I am. I have Verizon FIOS. If you are in the service area, prices are similar to cable prices. Other Telcos also offer the same product, sometimes called Fios and sometimes called something else.

14 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Yes I am. I have Verizon FIOS. If you are in the service area, prices are similar to cable prices. Other Telcos also offer the same product, sometimes called Fios and sometimes called something else.

Oh that makes sense, in Canada were behind in the fibre game big time, prices are through the roof