FX-8320E

Go to solution Solved by Enderman,
3 minutes ago, SuperCookie78 said:

I meant an average overclock of thus cpu

If i were to overclock i would probabley get a 360 rad

between 4 and 5 GHz

I just got a 8320e and if i were to overclock it how high of an overclock would i get? 

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

somewhere between 0 and 8GHz

no way to know other than to test it yourself since every CPU overclock differently

its called the "silicon lottery" because you dont know what youre gonna get

btw what cooling you have, motherboard, thermal paste, etc... also makes a difference

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I just got a 8320e and if i were to overclock it how high of an overclock would i get? 

Air Cooler:  4.0-4.2Ghz

Water Cooler:  4.3-4.5Ghz

Somewhere around those numbers is average.  You might get more or less.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Just now, Enderman said:

somewhere between 3 and 8GHz

no way to know other than to test it yourself since every CPU overclock differently

8GHz... unless hes using nitrogen, no. But if you have high end cooling, you can get upwards of 5 GHz

2 minutes ago, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

8GHz... unless hes using nitrogen, no. But if you have high end cooling, you can get upwards of 5 GHz

I think it was more to point of how you can't tell what a chip will be able to do, rather than saying that is the literal limit for that CPU. 

6 minutes ago, SuperCookie78 said:

If you have a G3258, why did you get an AMD chip? Unless your signature is out dated, an FX was a bad buy.

results will also greatly depend on the motherboard you have, some are not even designed to support a 4 modules FX chip like the FX-8320.

which motherboard do you have?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

btw what cooling you have, motherboard, thermal paste, etc... also makes a difference

5 minutes ago, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

Whats your cooling?

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

between 4 and 5 GHz

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

7 minutes ago, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

Whats your cooling?

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

12 minutes ago, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

If you have a G3258, why did you get an AMD chip? Unless your signature is out dated, an FX was a bad buy.

Thats out dated. I have a i5-4690k and a gtx980. This is going to be an htpc. I was going to use an old i3 and a z68 mobo but those died last week. And the reason i got this is because im also going to folding while im not using it.

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

1 minute ago, SuperCookie78 said:

Thats out dated. I have a i5-4690k and a gtx980. This is going to be an htpc. I was going to use an old i3 and a z68 mobo but those died last week. And the reason i got this is because im also going to folding while im not using it.

Ah, ok. I was going to say... Just remember if you OC the FX-8320e and fold with it, it's going to use a lot of power.

4 minutes ago, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

Ah, ok. I was going to say... Just remember if you OC the FX-8320e and fold with it, it's going to use a lot of power.

I know. I was the best perfomance for the price. Got it with a good mobo for $160. Thank you Microcenter

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

I know im going to pair it up with a r9 280 i got about a year ago

Where are you keeping your PC? I keep my folding PC in my basement, it's always 60 degrees F or colder, so I can OC my FX-6300 to 4.6 GHz on an air cooler.

How is this going to be an HTPC? There are no ITX AM3+ mobos, and the only mATX AM3+ mobo I know of that can handle this is the ASrock Pro3, which really doesn't have beefy enough VRMs for an FX-8 core chip. You can get away with the 8320e on it due to it's lower clock speeds and voltages (hence the e in the model name), but the moment you overclock that goes out the window. As always, YMMV.

2 hours ago, Lotus said:

How is this going to be an HTPC? There are no ITX AM3+ mobos, and the only mATX AM3+ mobo I know of that can handle this is the ASrock Pro3, which really doesn't have beefy enough VRMs for an FX-8 core chip. You can get away with the 8320e on it due to it's lower clock speeds and voltages (hence the e in the model name), but the moment you overclock that goes out the window. As always, YMMV.

Well i was going to use an i3-2100 and an asus z68 atx mobo because i wanted to reuse the parts. So i got a define s and i build the computer and it wouldn't post. I tried swaping out ram with ram i knew worked and still nothing. So i didn't want to return the case so i got a 8320e for $109 and a ASRock Fatal1ty 970 atx for $40. And it has beefy VRM's. I'm loading windows onto this machine as i type. I'm running the stock cooler now but i might water cool in the future if its worth it. It might seem more like a gaming rig than a htpc but im putting it in a giant cabint that used to be a dreeser until my mom refurbed it to be an home theater cabint.  

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

2 hours ago, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

Where are you keeping your PC? I keep my folding PC in my basement, it's always 60 degrees F or colder, so I can OC my FX-6300 to 4.6 GHz on an air cooler.

In a well vetilated cabint. And my house is about 70F at all time so it will be fine

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive