Loop planning, many questions

Torna
9 minutes ago, Torna said:

So currently not pleased....I have two 980Ti SC+ that I need to put my EK waterblocks on....these would be the cards I painted the backplates on...the screws for the EK block don't allow for the backplate :S

Hmm that might be something that may not be compatible unfortunately, if it is just the length of the bolts are too short you could source longer ones if needed.

Ok....two part question....

1. How many screws can my block survive on right now (keep in mind my motherboard is horizontal and my graphics card is in trying to hurt itself)? I have 5 screws in it right now.

2. Where would you look for screws?  Last time I took a computer screw to Home Depot they turned a funny color.

1 minute ago, Torna said:

Ok....two part question....

1. How many screws can my block survive on right now (keep in mind my motherboard is horizontal and my graphics card is in trying to hurt itself)? I have 5 screws in it right now.

2. Where would you look for screws?  Last time I took a computer screw to Home Depot they turned a funny color.

Ideally you would want all of them especially around the GPU die to give it proper mounting pressure. If it's a matter of the screws simply are too short getting some longer ones aren't a problem, places like Fastenal or Mcmaster Carr specialize in hardware and will carry small sized screws like those. 

For the record.....

EK makes some cool stuff....the do however need to work on their manual writing.

Next question....I didn't buy an official "tube cutter"  is there something else I can use for nice cuts or am I doomed?

11 minutes ago, Torna said:

For the record.....

EK makes some cool stuff....the do however need to work on their manual writing.

Next question....I didn't buy an official "tube cutter"  is there something else I can use for nice cuts or am I doomed?

It helps makes square cuts as your doing soft tubing, you can use a very sharp pair of scissors which does work. I personally use a very sharp razer and a small guide block to keep the cut square and push it through like a guillotine.

Ok....so with the Core X9 case I can change things all around....so....

The original plan was to have the window pointed at the painted backplates and the CPU block and the quad rad underneath.

With no backplates I have hesitated....

I could move things around so I would see the "front" of the GPU and see its block that is acrylic so I will see mayhems and the quad rad underneath.

I know this is subjective....but what would you do?

4 minutes ago, Torna said:

Ok....so with the Core X9 case I can change things all around....so....

The original plan was to have the window pointed at the painted backplates and the CPU block and the quad rad underneath.

With no backplates I have hesitated....

I could move things around so I would see the "front" of the GPU and see its block that is acrylic so I will see mayhems and the quad rad underneath.

I know this is subjective....but what would you do?

Having it on the left side seems like a good option, if you want to see that bottom rad you can switch around the location for the PSU and rad to be able to see everything. It's mainly up to how you want to design it, were you not able to get replacement hardware for the backplate and blocks?

I haven't really tried...not that I want my computer back but its guts are all over my desk :P

Found the one thing the EK manual is good for....tells me what screw to buy :P

think the tiny screws I got were 4mm long....it is HARD to measure this thing....would you order 6 mm to make the backplate fit?

31 minutes ago, Torna said:

I haven't really tried...not that I want my computer back but its guts are all over my desk :P

Found the one thing the EK manual is good for....tells me what screw to buy :P

think the tiny screws I got were 4mm long....it is HARD to measure this thing....would you order 6 mm to make the backplate fit?

It's best to use calipers for precise measuring but i would say either 6-8mm screws should be enough deepening on how thick your backplates are. 

Ok...random....

Will a card fit between a SLI?  It has internal ports not external.

9 minutes ago, Torna said:

Ok...random....

Will a card fit between a SLI?  It has internal ports not external.

Depends if there is a space between the two cards it shouldn't be a problem as long as it's not super wide. If there is no space it wouldn't work if it has a PCI-E bracket since the GPU takes up the second slot. 

No need for the bracket...might take it off anyway, don't need it and it is not cute :P

So my Mayhems says I need to flush my system before adding it....so...I assume this is when I leak check all that good stuff...so how long do I flush/leak check?  What should I use?  Distilled water ok?

11 minutes ago, Torna said:

So my Mayhems says I need to flush my system before adding it....so...I assume this is when I leak check all that good stuff...so how long do I flush/leak check?  What should I use?  Distilled water ok?

In general you should clean the loop mainly the rad before assembly, make sure to rinse out the rad very well with tap water and give them a good shake before giving things a final go over with distilled water. Other parts of the loop are pretty clean so giving blocks and res's a rinse are needed but not bad with some distilled water. 

Now you tell me :P since those are the things I screwed in first.  So no big deal if a little water is left in the rads after I do this right?  I won't piss off the Mayhems right?  

So when I do the Distilled am I running it through the whole loop or just the rads?

Now you tell me :P since those are the things I screwed in first.  So no big deal if a little water is left in the rads after I do this right?  I won't piss off the Mayhems right?  

So when I do the Distilled am I running it through the whole loop or just the rads?

As long as the last rinse is distilled stuff it's not too big of a problem, but for new watercooling components you don't really need to do a distilled rinse beforehand and try to drain all of it before going to the mayhems stuff.

Ok...stupid question....how do you avoid twisting a tube when you are screwing in a second fitting?

18 minutes ago, Torna said:

Ok...stupid question....how do you avoid twisting a tube when you are screwing in a second fitting?

Usually you screw in the fittings before and then push on the tubing to it, dipping it boiling hot water can make it go on easier at times. 

Ok...I need a voice of reason....the screws....I found them though only online (to my slight annoyance) are showing up Saturday.  The card I want to put between the SLI is showing Tuesday....so my question is....from a person that is aching to game on this thing.  Can I manage to fit a card between a SLI with waterblock bridge over the top after it has water in it?

5 hours ago, Torna said:

Ok...I need a voice of reason....the screws....I found them though only online (to my slight annoyance) are showing up Saturday.  The card I want to put between the SLI is showing Tuesday....so my question is....from a person that is aching to game on this thing.  Can I manage to fit a card between a SLI with waterblock bridge over the top after it has water in it?

Depends on the width of the card and length but it's possible to fit a card in between if you can squeeze it in with everything in place, but as long as you have a PCI-E slot between the cards it will facilitate it.

Well I guess the real question is would you put things together this weekend and add water or be good and wait for the card?

3 minutes ago, Torna said:

Well I guess the real question is would you put things together this weekend and add water or be good and wait for the card?

What's the card exactly? 

It's it's a short card or half height card you might be able to install it in after but id it's long like the GPU then I would wait since the tubing or bridge between for SLI can get in the way. 

It would probably be best wait since you do need to try and get in there and plug in those USB 3.0 connections between the cards which could be very difficult. 

So stupid question....I am FINALLY trying to get stuff all together to add my mayhems and I was putting a barb of fitting on angle and I may have forgotten an o-ring.  Sadly the place I forgot the o-ring I got together so well I haven't been able to apart to fix the problem....I got it together really tight!  Do I need to get it apart to add the o-ring.