Cherry Switches

Tomic

Are Browns near to red or blue  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Red blue or in the middle

• Red
    • Blue
    • In the middle

Looking for switch heard brown is middle ground for red and blue what do you think? I'm gonna buy a mechanical keyboard at some point so I'm looking for a switch I don't want to buy a tester as shipping to uk is mental Ie:£25 as there all in America or really expensive here 

Thanks in advance Tomic

Red Fury: Cpu intel i5 4960k GPU 1060 6gb, Cooling  noctua dh15 storage 1tb sshd 250gb ssd mobo gigabyte z97p-3 case fractal r4 ram hyper x fury red 8 gb psu 550w xfx ts os win 10 monitor lg 25um56 

its personal preference

i love mx blues because they are clicky , however some people preferr reds because they are linear, browns are tactile non clicky

Brown: Tactile, quiet

Blue: Tactile, Clicky

Red: Linear, non tactile

Black: Heavier red

Green: Heavier blue

Clear: Heavier Brown

Note: Clears are not commonly found

I like browns personally

My Rig:

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @4.3 GHz; Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus; Cooler: Cryorig H5 Ultimate; RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Black; GPU: MSI R9 380 4GB; Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Window; SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB and 500GB; HDD: WD Blue 1TB; PSU: EVGA 750W P2

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 29UM57; Headset: HyperX Cloud II; Keyboard: Gamdias Hermes Mechanical; Mouse: Zowie EC2-A

I prefer blacks becuse of the force they need is like my old membrane, you should go to your closest tech store and try out what you like

1 minute ago, Xenift said:

You can't go wrong with brown.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Well I dislike reds for the fact that they have no "real" strong feeling to show that I activated the switch while blues are really loud so browns are are best of both worlds, not too loud while there's a definite bump when you activate the switch.

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Browns are closer to Red's, but only because Blue's have their distinctive clicking noise when they are being actuated.

Thanks I will probably go with brown and then decide on the next keyboard wether to go with blue or red

Red Fury: Cpu intel i5 4960k GPU 1060 6gb, Cooling  noctua dh15 storage 1tb sshd 250gb ssd mobo gigabyte z97p-3 case fractal r4 ram hyper x fury red 8 gb psu 550w xfx ts os win 10 monitor lg 25um56 

Browns are essentially blues that are quiet (so no click but you can feel when you are activating the key) and are a little more sensitive like reds, most people seem to dislike reds, but you have to try them, so I'd say they are in the middle between red and blue, if not closer to blue

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

5 hours ago, Star Paladin Vinyl said:

I prefer blacks becuse of the force they need is like my old membrane, you should go to your closest tech store and try out what you like

Testing them out is really the only way to determine a preference. 

5 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well I dislike reds for the fact that they have no "real" strong feeling to show that I activated the switch while blues are really loud so browns are are best of both worlds, not too loud while there's a definite bump when you activate the switch.

I disagree. When you're really typing, browns have almost zero tactile feedback. Clears are better, but alps, or Zealios are the only tactile switches I've used where you actually feel a tactile bump when you type. 

5 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Browns are essentially blues that are quiet (so no click but you can feel when you are activating the key) and are a little more sensitive like reds, most people seem to dislike reds, but you have to try them, so I'd say they are in the middle between red and blue, if not closer to blue

Browns, Blues and Reds all use the same spring. None of them is more sensitive than the other. They just have a slightly lower actuation force because they have less resistance than blues at the actuation point. since there isn't a mechanism that you're moving. Their springs are all too light anyway. 

If you want a tactile switch, and insist on Cherry, then you might as well go with clears, or greys. If you're alright with gateron (I think that gateron is better than Cherry, personally, and use Gateron switches on all of my boards) then Zealios are your best bet, although you'll have to build your own board at that point anyway. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Thanks do you know of any clear or grey switch keyboards?

I have been using reds for a year and they are awesome - I can't understand why ppl label them as a gaming switch - they are very satisfying to type on and very accurate -

Browns on the other hand are also very good - also nice to type on but IMPO - I prefer Reds -

I've also got a Razer Blackwidow Chroma which is using the Green Razer switch - very similar to a Cherry blue - it's also nice but very loud and clicky -

although I like it it can get irritating to listen to after a while -

Overall - I like Reds best - I like bottoming out the switches and hearing the clack - very satisfying .

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

1 hour ago, Tomic said:

Thanks do you know of any clear or grey switch keyboards?

The Pok3r is one of the most well known, if you're willing to go for a 60% board. I use one daily (although I built mine, it isn't an off the shelf board) and I love it. I do need to reprogram it though, as I seem to have lost all of my layers...

Anyway, I love the 60% form factor, and I think that it's a better option than most out there as far as cherry MX clear switches go.

The steel plate on the Pok3r may cause some to dislike it because of the harsh bottom out. I liked it well enough when I had one. As far as a stock board goes, it's pretty impressive, but when you compare it to a board with a custom PCB in it, it's definitely lackluster at best. (that being said, so are all of the other boards out there, even the reprogrammable razer/logitech/etc. ones. I don't like having to worry about my layers getting messed up when I change computers.)

the Pok3r is one of the best options, especially for the price. 

56 minutes ago, georgevar59 said:

I have been using reds for a year and they are awesome - I can't understand why ppl label them as a gaming switch - they are very satisfying to type on and very accurate -

Browns on the other hand are also very good - also nice to type on but IMPO - I prefer Reds -

I've also got a Razer Blackwidow Chroma which is using the Green Razer switch - very similar to a Cherry blue - it's also nice but very loud and clicky -

although I like it it can get irritating to listen to after a while -

Overall - I like Reds best - I like bottoming out the switches and hearing the clack - very satisfying .

reds have always been too light for me since I am a heavy typist. I am using Gateron Yellows right now, and I am loving them. I think I may go back to Zealios when I get the chance though, since I do really like having a tactile bump. 

I think that the reason that everyone says that reds are for gaming is because they feel so light. In my opinion, the Cherry Red switch has a spring in it that is way too light to be of any use. That's why I prefer the heavier (and smoother, mind you) Gateron Yellow switches. I really do like the way that heavier linear switches feel though, and I now understand why people often describe it as typing on a cloud. (I do bottom out though, so it's not a particularly apt description for me.)

Clicky switches, IMO, are something that should only be purchased if they are something you know you'll like. A lot of people find them annoying, even if they like the idea of hearing when the switch actuates. Also, I find blues somewhat annoying, due to their very noticeable hysteresis, which, IIRC, is something that cherry greens don't have. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)