best microphone you can get?

Rocko

what is pretty much the best microphone you can get?

CPUIntel Core i7-4790K 4.8GHz Moherboard: MSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition Memory: HyperX FURY White 24GB DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus GTX 970 Turbo

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750w SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB HDDWB Blue 1TB Monitor: (2x) BenQ GL2460HM 24-Inch Case: NZXT S340 White

Those on the flimsy headphones you find in your school's computer lab

My brother uses a pair of Turtle Beach headphones. The microphone died, so what he ended up doing is putting his mouth up to the speakers and talking and the speakers actually worked as a makeshift microphone. They actually sent an audible signal to the line-in jack. So they're the best.

/s

define "best"... 

EVE (My Gaming Build)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ Stock Speeds - Cooling: Phanteks TC-12DX - PSU: Corsair RM750 - GPU: MSI GTX 1070 - Storage: 1x 120gb Samsung 830 Evo SSD (OS Drive) | 1x 120gb Hyperx 3k SSD (Audio Editing) | 1x 480gb Sandisk Ultra II SSD (Games) | 1x 1TB Hard Drive (Mass Storage) - Case: NZXT Phantom 530 - Misc: NZXT Hue RGB LED and controller

define "best"... 

like well over $1,000. best audio quality

CPUIntel Core i7-4790K 4.8GHz Moherboard: MSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition Memory: HyperX FURY White 24GB DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus GTX 970 Turbo

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750w SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB HDDWB Blue 1TB Monitor: (2x) BenQ GL2460HM 24-Inch Case: NZXT S340 White

for me I use a rode NT-USB mic. it will set you back about 190 dollars aus.

also i use a headset that has the most perfect sounding mic ever ... RIG 500HD that also cost 120 dollars aus  

​you can also get a program called voice meeter that can improve the quality of you're mic  

My brother uses a pair of Turtle Beach headphones. The microphone died, so what he ended up doing is putting his mouth up to the speakers and talking and the speakers actually worked as a makeshift microphone. They actually sent an audible signal to the line-in jack. So they're the best.

/s

Thanks for the "/s" at the end, if not for it I would thought that what you wrote was completely legit and go on using the webcam as a monitor

/s           <-- most useful and indispensable "/s" of the year

Leave a like if you breathed oxygen today

Thanks for the "/s" at the end, if not for it I would thought that what you wrote was completely legit and go on using the webcam as a monitor

/s           <-- most useful and indispensable "/s" of the year

No, the /s was actually just for the "it's the best ever". My brother literally cannot use his microphone as a microphone. It's dead. It's gone. But the speakers work fine, for whatever reason. Both as a microphone and as a speaker.

No, the /s was actually just for the "it's the best ever". My brother literally cannot use his microphone as a microphone. It's dead. It's gone. But the speakers work fine, for whatever reason. Both as a microphone and as a speaker.

Wait, so the speakers actually worked as microphones? Holy hell cover your monitors the government can see!!!1!!!!1111!!11!!!!

Leave a like if you breathed oxygen today

When you are getting into high-end microphones. Then there normally isn't one that's better than the other ones. They are just different from one another. They all deliver slightly different sounds.

And if you really want to get high-end recording audio, then I highly suggest going the XLR route, just keep in mind that you need a mix board and all of that stuff.

When you are getting into high-end microphones. Then there normally isn't one that's better than the other ones. They are just different from one another. They all deliver slightly different sounds.

And if you really want to get high-end recording audio, then I highly suggest going the XLR route, just keep in mind that you need a mix board and all of that stuff.

how do I get an XLR port on my computer?

You get one of these, and hook it up to the computer. If you just want to go the easier USB route, then you can look at something like the Audio Technica AT-2020

Behringer_1002FX_XENYX_1002FX_10_Channel

what is pretty much the best microphone you can get?

For what usage, what type and what sort of connection?  And of course, what's the maximum budget?

You're question is like asking "what's the best fruit you can buy?"

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

On 1/30/2016 at 8:21 AM, Rocko said:

There's a lot for you to learn here.  I'm not trying to discourage you from your search, but you're getting into a different world WRT audio stuff when you start talking about XLR powered microphones.  These are the things guys in studios (or on stage) use.  It doesn't mean you can't use them at home (I do), but just understand there's a bit that goes into it.

First, decide on the mic.  Rode makes some phenomenal USB and XLR-connected microphones.  Some of the best out there.  The USB ones will obviously be a bit more limited in their range than the XLR ones will because they're picking up their power (mics need power, all of them do) from the USB port.  XLR mics, on the other hand, need to be juiced from a mixer board with an amp.

My gear looks like so:

My Mackie mixer does not have a USB output, so I had to get those 1/4"-to-RCA cables to connect the mixer's "Main Out" to the sound card's RCA input.  I actually like that solution better because I'm not terribly keen on using USB for any sort of sound.  Either way, this solution works quite well and is somewhat affordable, depending on your definition of that word.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

4 hours ago, jasonvp said:

snip

Rode's presence in the higher end of audio is limited to shotgun/video microphones. On the studio side, they're not in the high-end space where DPA, Schoeps, Gefell, Neumann, etc. reside. 

Only condenser microphones need power. Ribbon and dynamic microphones don't use phantom power (ribbon microphones are actually damaged by it). A USB port actually provides far more than enough power for a microphone to function at maximum capacity. USB 2.0 provides 500mA while USB 3.0 provides 900mA at 5V, and condenser microphones tend to draw 4mA to 8mA at 48V. That's how there are such great interfaces such as the Babyface Pro which run off of bus power. But you are correct in that most USB microphones are limited by their internal A/D converters, which typically only convert to 16 bit instead of 24 bit because microphone manufacturers cheap out on the converters. Also, audio signals from microphones are juiced not by an amp, but rather a preamp. 

As for the OP's question, the Sony C-800G is one of the most sought-after vocal microphones, and it is prevalent in popular music recordings. The Neumann U87 is an extremely versatile and legendary microphone often used for vocal and orchestral recordings. The DPA 4006-A is one of the best omnidirectional microphones for use in instrumental/orchestral recordings (particularly piano). Pretty much all microphones by Neumann, DPA, Schoeps, Gefell, and Earthworks compete as the best for their use case scenarios. Sennheiser and AKG make some low-end microphones, but their higher-end stuff is also up there with the others I mentioned. I'm sure there are other top microphone manufacturers I haven't mentioned - I'm more of a low-end kind of guy, so my knowledge is limited in this area.