is there a quiet pump?

Go to solution Solved by xTyler,
On 1/30/2016 at 9:18 PM, vong said:

D5 pumps are fairly quiet

I dunno, mine is pretty noisy when you go past 1...

That's interesting, mine is at 5 and it's nearly silent. Does your loop have a lot of air in it?

Hi

I'm looking for a silent pump or pump res combo, I've had numerous aios and h240x but it sounds like an aquarium

yhanks

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I can second this :)

-xt

Too lazy to list computer specs so PM me if you want to know lol

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

On 1/30/2016 at 9:18 PM, vong said:

That's interesting, mine is at 5 and it's nearly silent. Does your loop have a lot of air in it?

-xt

1 minute ago, xTyler said:

Bled most of it out. It's clearly the loudest component in my PC. It makes a high pitched whirring sounds as soon as it reaches 2 but the high pitch goes away when it reaches 5. I've got it mounted to Phanteks "anti vibration" mount but it can be felt throught the chassis...

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

1 hour ago, vong said:

Bled most of it out. It's clearly the loudest component in my PC. It makes a high pitched whirring sounds as soon as it reaches 2 but the high pitch goes away when it reaches 5. I've got it mounted to Phanteks "anti vibration" mount but it can be felt throught the chassis...

I guess you got a bad sample. D5 pump is really quiet below 3.

2 hours ago, vong said:

How do you have it mounted? In my wife's system, have hers mounted with rubber washers between the pump housing and the bracket holding it to a radiator. It's pretty dead quiet as a result.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

7 hours ago, vong said:

Hmmm what brand pump/res?

-xt

6 hours ago, brandishwar said:

How do you have it mounted? In my wife's system, have hers mounted with rubber washers between the pump housing and the bracket holding it to a radiator. It's pretty dead quiet as a result.

I've got it mounted only using  one screw because only one hole would line up properly. Might find a new pot and mount for it

1 hour ago, xTyler said:

Hmmm what brand pump/res?

EK pump and EK pump top.

Standard d5-pwms with a good vibration dampening mount (like the ek pump res combos) are dead silent until about 3100 rpm (I run mine at 2650). 

The biggest thing with aios and custom loops is making sure that you get all the air out of the system (or in the case of an aio, into the res part properly).

I don't recommend cm aios, or ddc pumps for this purpose.

New asetech aios are pretty damn quiet once bled properly.

Btw in case you are wondering, my computer has a sound profile of <22 db idle, <25 db load so it's not like I'm comparing it to just any old loud computer.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, vong said:

I've got it mounted only using  one screw because only one hole would line up properly. Might find a new pot and mount for it

Yeah you definitely don't have it mounted right. UN makes two brackets for mounting pumps to fan mount points: the Z2 for the 120mm and Z3 for 140mm. Lowest price I've seen both go for has been at Sidewinder Computers. Other sellers may have similar brackets for decent prices as well. You can use those for mounting your pump to a fan mount point or radiator without having to worry about screws lining up with your case.

When you do mount the pump, make sure to have some kind of vibration dampener or isolator between the pump body and the bracket. This can be as simple as a couple rubber washers from the plumbing section of the hardware store (specifically look for 00 washers -- that's double-zero) between the pump body and bracket held in place by the mounting screws. That's how I have my wife's pump mounted and it's, as I've already said, dead silent.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

59 minutes ago, brandishwar said:

- snip -

Seems like the noise is coming from the pump itself. It still makes noise even if I dampen it with my hand.

14 minutes ago, vong said:

Seems like the noise is coming from the pump itself. It still makes noise even if I dampen it with my hand.

If you're merely pressing your hand against the pump while it is still sitting in your case, you're not going to be able to completely dampen it and keep it from vibrating against your case. That is why it's called vibration isolation. The idea is to use vibration-absorbing materials -- the aforementioned rubber washers being one such option -- to isolate the vibrations of the pump from anything it could vibrate against.

1 hour ago, brandishwar said:

If you're merely pressing your hand against the pump while it is still sitting in your case, you're not going to be able to completely dampen it and keep it from vibrating against your case. That is why it's called vibration isolation. The idea is to use vibration-absorbing materials -- the aforementioned rubber washers being one such option -- to isolate the vibrations of the pump from anything it could vibrate against.

The Phanteks pump mount has rubber dampers on it though. I've got some rubber spacers/washers but the thumb screws are long enough to reach the threads.

4 minutes ago, vong said:

The Phanteks pump mount has rubber dampers on it though. I've got some rubber spacers/washers but the thumb screws are long enough to reach the threads.

Looking at pictures of the pump mount, it looks like rather thin rubber they're using, meaning it's not going to be all that effective at dampening vibrations. Again, however you are attempting to mount the pump is likely the reason the pump is noisy. Remount the pump with better vibration isolation and your problem will likely go away. Given what you said earlier about how you have the pump mounted, sounds like you need to find a different pump mount anyway.

Question: what pump do you have specifically and what housing are you currently using on it?

5 minutes ago, brandishwar said:

- snip -

Using an EK D5 Vario with their square pump top kit.

5 minutes ago, vong said:

Using an EK D5 Vario with their square pump top kit.

And given the storage you have in your profile, I'm going to guess you're using the drive mounts in your chassis. I'm also going to assume your 240mm radiator is mounted in the front position in your chassis. I'm also going to assume the reservoir you have listed is not an integrated reservoir/pump mount. Again, correct me if that's not right.

Do you have any 5-1/4" drive bay devices -- optical drive, fan controller, anything like that? I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile to move your HDDs to the 5-1/4" drive bay -- various mounts exist for that -- to get them out of the way so you can use a bracket like the UN Z2 to mount the pump to the front radiator (or fans mounted thereto). This would allow you to use better vibration isolation on the pump mount and hopefully quiet everything down. Additionally, you can add vibration isolation between the bracket and radiator to further dampen any vibration from the pump.

3 minutes ago, brandishwar said:

- snip -

Don't have a 240 rad in the system. Got a 480 up top and 360 on the bottom. I can mount the pump to one of the intake fans as there's plenty of room under the HDD cage and radiator.

9 hours ago, vong said:

Don't have a 240 rad in the system. Got a 480 up top and 360 on the bottom. I can mount the pump to one of the intake fans as there's plenty of room under the HDD cage and radiator.

That would be ideal since you should also be able to get a more solid mount doing that. Of course when you do that make sure to mount the pump so it is facing front (square side toward the window) and not the top. Again, look for vibration isolators to use between the pump and bracket, and additionally use vibration isolators between the bracket and fan to further quiet things down.

While you're at it, consider updating your profile so it reflects your current setup.

10 minutes ago, brandishwar said:

- snip -

I'm gonna try and do what I can with the current mount. If I'm still not happy then I'll get a fan mount and maybe the new pump tops as they have a rubber ring that goes around the pump.

I was wondering where you got that info from haha Just updated it.

On 2/1/2016 at 6:24 PM, LinusTech said:

D5 at the lowest setting will please all be the "freak 'o nature" silence enthusiasts. 

Get a vibration dampening mount. 

Yeah, mine is very quiet, even without dampening mounts.

10 hours ago, vong said:

I'm gonna try and do what I can with the current mount. If I'm still not happy then I'll get a fan mount and maybe the new pump tops as they have a rubber ring that goes around the pump.

I was wondering where you got that info from haha Just updated it.

I think you should try contacting EK

-xt