Two GTX 960s + One GTX 980?

So here's the thing: I currently have an EVGA GTX 960 SSC, which has 4GB of VRAM, I plan on (In the short term) getting a second 960 of the same model in order to acheive boosted speeds, the already higher VRAM than the standard 960 should help it scale a bit better with SLI.

I was wondering, if in the Long term I end up investing in a 980 after I use the dual 960s for a while, would I be able to add the 980 on top of the two 960s since all 3 cards would share the same amount of VRAM (4GB)? 

P.S. I read somewhere that Dual 960s is close to the speed of a single 980, so if this works, it sounds like my compute power would be very high. 

P.S.S. Think it would run Star Citizen well? xD

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this is a ridiculous question, but could make for interesting discussion, so go ahead. Haha.

Edited by byBarret

No, you can not sli different GPUs.

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

you can only SLi the 960s together if they are 4GB VRAM ONLY

but you cannot SLi your 980 with your 960s

nVidia will not allow that

you are just better off buying a brand new GPU

because you will be wasting more money buying 2 more GPUs

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Have you looked into 970 sli? It'll obliterate the 980 in games that support sli well

you can't sli different gpus together

the 960 sli can never reach the 980 and that's the truth, plus, not every game support sli

i'm not sure but since nvidia 900 series has full support for dx12, with windows 10 you may get a performance boost putting all cards together and using the 980 as a primary card

since you can get a second 960 and a 980 soon, why don't you sell your current 960 and save the money for something better like 980ti or a titan X

putting different nvidia cards together will only help with computing cause you don't need sli to use all of your cuda cores

Have you looked into 970 sli? It'll obliterate the 980 in games that support sli well

wasteful

and the 3.5GB gate

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

keep saving money until you can afford high end nvidia card, then lets hope pascal will release gtx1080 by then, and you use 960 as physx card or just sell it

going SLI right now with 960`s is waste, unless you will do oculus rift