RGB LED strip controller and FAN controller

SasaKaranovic

Hello LTT forum, long time lurker finally decided to register. :)

I saw several posts about RGB LED case mods and some FAN controller questions, mostly how to add RGB LED strip to case, how to connect and control it, how to control several fans and etc.

I haven't been following the case mode gadgets closely so I apologize if I missed something, but isn't there some decent *budget* solution for controlling RGB LED strip or several case fans?

Because I'm planing on building my new PC and I am going to add several fans to my case that I want to control (turn off when IDLE or adjust according to the current load/temp) and I plan on building

my own case fan controller and another controller for RGB LED strip.

I thought if there isn't a decent budget solution that does the job, maybe I should make that project open source and open hardware so you guys can use it in your build and connect/control LEDs and fans easily?

Here are my ideas for each controller and I would love to hear what do you think about them, what options would you add/remove/modify:

PC case RGB LED controller

Idea is to create a quality RGB LED controller for PC cases, that will be controllable via desktop application and have an option for 3rd party applications/scripts (for example when you browse the internet act as mood light but when you start CS:GO change color to powerful red or something like that, it’s up to you to customize it). The RGB controller should have small dimensions so it’s easy to “hide” from sight so it doesn’t disturb your case design, or chose a color that matches your motherboard/case. It will support almost all RGB LED strips that you can buy from eBay, Amazon, AliExpress and other vendors.

Short Description:

• RGB LED driver for PC cases. Controllable via USB (PC application + easy API for expansion or control via 3rd party apps)

• Easy installation - 3 connectors -> 1 MOLEX/SATA power cable (or any other power cable for power), 1 USB header to connect to USB headers on motherboard, 1 connector for LED strip (or several LED strips)

• Tiny (black/red/blue/white) PCB (less than 5x5cm)

• Reasonable price (target is sub $15 cost per single board)

• Support for:

• 12V RGB / RGBW LED strip

• 12V single color strip

• 5V WS281x LED strip (each LED can be in different color)

• 5V support for custom array of 3mm/5mm LEDs

PC case FAN controller

Idea is to create a simple fan controller that doesn’t have knobs, LCD displays, touch panels or other fancy stuff because maybe none of them match your build or you just don’t a huge controller sitting in your optical drive bay, you just want a clean and simple fan control solution that you would control from desktop application or maybe even define presets once and forget about it.

Short Description:

• USB FAN controller

• Controller is powered from USB, current for fans is drawn from single MOLEX/SATA power cable (or any other power cable for power)

• Fan speed (and rotation if possible) is controller via desktop application

• Easy API to quickly adjust your fan speed or create your own application/scripts for controlling your fans

• Support 1/2/3/4 (or more) fans

• Desktop application for controlling fans

• Tiny (black/red/blue/white) PCB (less than 5x5cm)

• Reasonable price (target is sub $15 cost per single board)

• Support 1/2 (or more) temperature probes to measure case temperature for automatic profiles

I would love to hear what you guys think about it and would you find something like this useful at all? :)

I believe linus did a video at CES for Swiftech and they are releasing a single controller that handles RGB LED's and a few PWM fans.  Not sure when it is supposed to be available though

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

around 3:20 he starts talking about it

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

- Skip the Molex. It's clunky and flimsy and huge and it sucks to have a single piece of hardware need it these days. Use Sata power instead. If you find use for the 3.3V, all the better, but at least the users with modular PSUs can leave the cable out.

- If you can make it so that it's possible to control several PWM fans, you'll really set yourself apart from the competition. PWM fan controllers are very rare.

- You should consider making it compatible with the mounting points for 2,5" or 3.5" HDDs. It'd make installing it super easy.

- Here's a useful thing that no other controller has AFAICT: Having several temperature sensors and if any of them detects a cross of their threshold level, all fans will blast at full speed until the temps drop back down. 

- An added bonus would definitely be if this had it's own memory and could work stand-alone. Like program it with USB then install it in your media center cabin and have everything on automatic from there on. 

I believe linus did a video at CES for Swiftech and they are releasing a single controller that handles RGB LED's and a few PWM fans.  Not sure when it is supposed to be available though

I watched this video. As far as I saw there is no option to use your own LED strip, you are probably have to buy some of their own version of WS2811 addressable LED strip which will be a *bit* pricier than the ones you can easily buy from eBay for couple of bucks. Also I would like if they would make it open-source and open-hardware so you can customize it to your needs but I highly doubt that. Also I don't know in what price range this gadget will be. On the other hand I don't want to make a controller that works with "this" type of LED strip, or you have to buy that one to make it work and etc. I want to build a controller that will work with the most LED strips that you can easily find, and to make installation as easy as possible.

- Skip the Molex. It's clunky and flimsy and huge and it sucks to have a single piece of hardware need it these days. Use Sata power instead. If you find use for the 3.3V, all the better, but at least the users with modular PSUs can leave the cable out.

- If you can make it so that it's possible to control several PWM fans, you'll really set yourself apart from the competition. PWM fan controllers are very rare.

- You should consider making it compatible with the mounting points for 2,5" or 3.5" HDDs. It'd make installing it super easy.

- Here's a useful thing that no other controller has AFAICT: Having several temperature sensors and if any of them detects a cross of their threshold level, all fans will blast at full speed until the temps drop back down. 

- An added bonus would definitely be if this had it's own memory and could work stand-alone. Like program it with USB then install it in your media center cabin and have everything on automatic from there on. 

Sorry about that, I didn't mean it has to Molex (I will change the description in the 1st post to avoid further confusion), It can be powered from whatever connector you like, It just needs 3v3/5v for the board and 12V for the LED strip/Fans. :)

I haven't started working on it yet, but I don't see why controlling 2/3 FANs with PWM would be a problem. PWM is my preferred, if not only acceptable option for controlling them (with some modifications to better drive the inductive load aka fan).

Making holes align with 2,5" or 3.5" won't be a problem but wouldn't that make a board too big? I mean the board for just 2 fans shouldn't be bigger than 5x5cm (MAX!), I guess you can hide it anywhere in the case. :)

Adding 1/2/3 temperature sensors would increase the price by a $1-2 but I guess that's not issue. :) Also option what to do when temp reaches certain threshold would be configurable via

desktop application. So you can program it to turn the fans off while temperature is below 30°C, turn them on to 50% while temperature is between 30°C and 40°C and blow them to the max while temperature is above 40°C. Also storing that information on the board itself wouldn't be a problem since there will be enough EEPROM on the board, so you can configure it over USB on one machine and then shove it into another one and forget about it. :)

Thank you for your suggestions, much appreciated! :)

Making holes align with 2,5" or 3.5" won't be a problem but wouldn't that make a board too big? I mean the board for just 2 fans shouldn't be bigger than 5x5cm (MAX!), I guess you can hide it anywhere in the case. :)

Yeah. It would have to be some sort of a casing or a mounting bracket. I'm just thinking, anyone who's going to hide the PCB in the case would have to source something to insulate the back of the PCB anyway. So why not plan ahead and design for a 3D-printable mounting bracket. Are you planning on going with Arduino?

I have been looking into something similar to sell on my store, but I have no knowledge with coding for the software needed. I have also looked into the control board by BlinkinLabs.

This is kinda bad timing for me as I have a hell of a lot going on right now, but I would love to be kept up to date with what you are doing, if you manage this to do this and keep it at a reasonable price, then we could have a talk about working out a deal to sell this on my store.

If you want to talk then feel free to PM me. :)

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

Yeah. It would have to be some sort of a casing or a mounting bracket. I'm just thinking, anyone who's going to hide the PCB in the case would have to source something to insulate the back of the PCB anyway. So why not plan ahead and design for a 3D-printable mounting bracket. Are you planning on going with Arduino?

That's one of the reasons why I'm asking you guys how to design this thing. Insulation shouldn't be a problem. I can make all components on top side and make bottom side "isolated" or leave holes for mounting that can also be used to sandwich the board between two acrylic plates. If you link me the bracket you are mentioning I'm sure I can make it fit. :)

I don't plan on using Arduino, Arduino is for amateurs (my opinion, everyone has a right to have one, no need to flame :) ) and if you want to make large quantities, it can get way more expensive. But the code will be open source so you can modify the firmware if you want, open hardware so you can change board design if you want. :)

Corsair has a product that does this.  Their Commander Mini...

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-commander-mini

This looks interesting. I don't like that it costs $60. If you are going to use all 6 fans, led strip and 4 temp probes then I guess it's worth it's money, but if you are using 1-2 fans or just 1 led strip, then it's a lot of money to pay for controller, IMHO.

That's one of the reasons why I'm asking you guys how to design this thing. Insulation shouldn't be a problem. I can make all components on top side and make bottom side "isolated" or leave holes for mounting that can also be used to sandwich the board between two acrylic plates. If you link me the bracket you are mentioning I'm sure I can make it fit. :)

I don't plan on using Arduino, Arduino is for amateurs (my opinion, everyone has a right to have one, no need to flame :) ) and if you want to make large quantities, it can get way more expensive. But the code will be open source so you can modify the firmware if you want, open hardware so you can change board design if you want. :)

This looks interesting. I don't like that it costs $60. If you are going to use all 6 fans, led strip and 4 temp probes then I guess it's worth it's money, but if you are using 1-2 fans or just 1 led strip, then it's a lot of money to pay for controller, IMHO.

Most currently out there are hardware based with a remote I see, the Blinkyin that Addon (Marcus) suggested there is a pretty good option but does require a bit of work. Most times the software ones like the Hue+ or Corsair Commander are charging you the extra costs for the addressable LED's and integrated software control. 

Most currently out there are hardware based with a remote I see, the Blinkyin that Addon (Marcus) suggested there is a pretty good option but does require a bit of work. Most times the software ones like the Hue+ or Corsair Commander are charging you the extra costs for the addressable LED's and integrated software control. 

Not to mention that they are closed source. If you want to use them, you need to use software and hardware that is compatible with their hardware. So you are entering the closed ecosystem, personally I don't like that very much. That's one of the reasons why I would create these boards to be open-source and open-hardware. You can modify them, build them yourself and they will be compatible with the most (if not all) LEDs you find out there.

Also public API and documentation should be a plus because everyone can make their own software to control the board, or script it which should give you more options.

Pretty much all of the LEDs work the same way, same goes for fans, so why should you buy "special" LED strip or "special" thermal probe that only works with your controller and then possibly buy custom software to use the hardware, if you can go on pretty much any website, order the LEDs you like or fans you like and when they arrive just plug them in and that's it. :)

-SNIP-

That's true most are the same design and type of LED's which is pretty standard theses days for quite cheap, it would mainly be the user interface that would be the part that would need good design and layout for customers if it was mass marketed and produced.

That's true most are the same design and type of LED's which is pretty standard theses days for quite cheap, it would mainly be the user interface that would be the part that would need good design and layout for customers if it was mass marketed and produced.

I agree. If you don't like the control software, you can chose another, which I don't think is the case with other products.

Also anyone who has the skills can create a better control app or improve the existing one (because it's open source) and share it with the others.

Its true that few things needs Molex these days, but you dont always want to use Sata.

The reason for that, is that PSUs are still delivered with at least 1 Molex cable, which as you say are not much used these days.

But since the Sata is used for everything (it seems), so is it less likely for it to be available.

Plus molex also gives you more power to work with, then Sata.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

This is a really cool idea, I'd totally be an early adopter ;). You should make a prototype and then start a kickstarter. I think a lot of the people on the forum would help you with their knowledge. I know I would with my limited knowledge :P

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

I'm glad that you guys like the idea. First I'll have to make a prototype to demo to you guys, that won't be a problem for me but it will take some time. On the other hand it would help me a lot if someone is willing to help create a nice looking and easy to use desktop application for controlling the LED strip and fan controller.

Also I'm thinking about splitting this project into two separate boards, one just for led strip and another just for fan control. Of course it won't be a problem to also provide a single board that does both things in case someone needs both things in one. I think that would be better solution mainly because why would you pay for LED+Fan controller if you only need one of them, right? And in case you really need them both, then you can opt for the third option which is both controllers on one board.

I'm glad that you guys like the idea. First I'll have to make a prototype to demo to you guys, that won't be a problem for me but it will take some time. On the other hand it would help me a lot if someone is willing to help create a nice looking and easy to use desktop application for controlling the LED strip and fan controller.

Also I'm thinking about splitting this project into two separate boards, one just for led strip and another just for fan control. Of course it won't be a problem to also provide a single board that does both things in case someone needs both things in one. I think that would be better solution mainly because why would you pay for LED+Fan controller if you only need one of them, right? And in case you really need them both, then you can opt for the third option which is both controllers on one board.

What language would it need to be programmed in? I can do it if it's C++. I know you'd need a micro controller and if you based it on something like an ATMega you could probably use the Arduino API's? Or maybe a ARM chip and use an API for that? I don't know much about microcontrollers but I'm learning :) First come my Arduino, then a Pi, then a custom chip

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

What language would it need to be programmed in? I can do it if it's C++. I know you'd need a micro controller and if you based it on something like an ATMega you could probably use the Arduino API's? Or maybe a ARM chip and use an API for that? I don't know much about microcontrollers but I'm learning :) First come my Arduino, then a Pi, then a custom chip

I will program the microcontroller and I will provide the API so that any application can interface with it via USB. The desktop application would need to have some nice GUI and use that API to communicate with the controller.

For example, when you change the color in desktop application, it would send packet over USB containing "Red, Green, Blue, Brightness" and controller would do the rest.

Same goes when you change mode to pulse, mood light or something else.

It would be nice if someone could suggest application with nice user interface so we can agree what desktop's app GUI should look like. Also if someone is willing to make an app, I would provide the API documentation with list of commands that you can use to control the device.

I will program the microcontroller and I will provide the API so that any application can interface with it via USB. The desktop application would need to have some nice GUI and use that API to communicate with the controller.

For example, when you change the color in desktop application, it would send packet over USB containing "Red, Green, Blue, Brightness" and controller would do the rest.

Same goes when you change mode to pulse, mood light or something else.

It would be nice if someone could suggest application with nice user interface so we can agree what desktop's app GUI should look like. Also if someone is willing to make an app, I would provide the API documentation with list of commands that you can use to control the device.

I think it would be a fun project and a way for me to learn to code. I'd do one for you but we'd need to work something out. I don't need to get paid as I'm quite new to programming but if it turns out good we can work something out. Maybe just PM me and we could come up with some ideas for the GUI.

Spoiler

AXIOM

Thank you Clanscorpia, I've sent you a PM.

While on the topic of desktop application for controlling the FAN and LED strips, can you give some examples of what you think is nice application design for controlling the FANs or RGB strips?

Also can you answer me these questions:
- How many FANs should basic version of the controller be able to control?
- Do you like single fan control or maybe put up channels, for example you have 2 channels and on each channel you can control RPM from 0-100%. And you can put 1, 2, 3 FANs per channel.
- What is the maximum length of LED strip that you would use in your case? I'm talking about something reasonable, I doubt anyone would put 5m of RGB strip in his case... or would they? :)

I've already did some prototyping on my breadboard. At the moment I can control RMP of two fans from 0-100% via PWM. (The chip I have has option for 2 hardware PWM outputs, I can implement more via software or opt for another chip. :) ) I can select if my fan is 3pin or 4pin, so board knows whether to use PWM on +12V pin or on PWM pin. I have a basic, ugly desktop application that has On/Off button and 2 sliders to control the fan RPM but it works.