Pc builds a beginners confession need feed back

Gachaghost
Go to solution Solved by Curufinwe_wins,
21 minutes ago, Gachaghost said:

all of you guys have been great and I really appreciate all the help. Let me give you guys an update! So I've decided with the amount of time I have before I buy all my parts etc I may be able to push my budget to 2000, I'd still like to save money where ever possible just because I like saving money as anyone does but here are the updates on my 3 builds. 

1. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/CaptainChopper/saved/s7hbt6

2.http://pcpartpicker.com/user/CaptainChopper/saved/BRm9TW

3.http://pcpartpicker.com/user/CaptainChopper/saved/C4vXsY

The big things I want to stick with is an I7 IDK if I really need a skylake or not, I'm trying to go no lower than 16 gigs of ram but I'd like to run 32gigs, Last I'm pretty dead set on a gtx 970 or higher as I work on games and specifically I make assets and art for Oculus games and might need an Oculus at some point so 970 or higher is a must. other than that I'm very loose on all the other parts, I've down sized to a mid tower and do want a windowed tower but don't need it to be full I just want everything to fit in the case obviously. um so yeah those are the biggest updates hope to see some cool feed back soon you guys are great!

If you want to stretch to 2k. This is exactly what I would recommend. (USE external cd drive if you really need one).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($374.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: LEPA AquaChanger 240 103.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($75.99 @ Directron) 
Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($182.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($134.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($247.40 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($629.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($63.98 @ Newegg) 
Keyboard: AZIO MGK1-K Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($63.99 @ NCIX US) 
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse  ($67.38 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2001.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-17 18:42 EST-0500

If you don't want to stretch it, here is my recommended price to performance build. (Xeon 1231 ~=  i7)

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($244.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: OCZ Trion 100 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ Directron) 
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($63.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1550.04
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-17 18:51 EST-0500

Alternatively: Here is a true I7 w/ overclocking mainstream build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($80.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($318.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1365.02
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-17 18:56 EST-0500

Finally as this applies to all of the builds, if you want a wireless network solution I highly recommend this product! 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-wireless-network-card-gcwb867di

I have it in my main build.

Though I see that a lot of topics go unnoticed I'll try to see if I can get some feedback here anyways.

So I have 3 set ups I'm looking at here and I don't want to spend anymore than 1500 even than I'd like to spend less if I can but I'm also interested in aesthetics and run some pretty gpu and CPU intensive programs.

If someone could give me feed back and maybe a new build idea for my needs that would be very helpfull.

I plan on rendering a lot of videos and 3d models from maya as well as gaming on this computer. I also run photoshop flash and manga studio 5 a lot of the time.

Here are the 3 set ups in question 2 are pretty similar seeing as I just switched around some parts the other is almost completely different and recommended by a friend of mine.

1. PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tPmkFT

2.PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kBp2Hx

3.PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GrWtjX

Also I live in northern California and am using US dollars of course.

*ignore this i didnt look properly*

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Welcome! I would say the 3rd looks like a good rough draft. The R9 390 will blow away a 950, and because you said you will be doing a lot of rendering that extra horse power will do really nice. But I must say if you want to squeeze extra performance out of that budget I would go with a cheaper case and forgo looks for power. But that's just me. :)

The 3rd list is by far the best, BUT get rid of the K i5 Because you're getting a Z170 board.  Z170 boards can OC non k series Sky Lake CPU's.  So get the non K Sky lake i5 plus it comes with a free heat sink.  The GPU is on point in the 3rd build, just everything about it is better than the other builds.

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

*ignore this i didnt look properly*

I assume that is his monitor. Maybe he left it out?

Ok this is my idea on this, I7 with 4-6 cores thats K or X series, 16GB of RAM, 500GB-1TB SSD, a GTX 980(what the hell were you thinking throwing a 950 in there lol) and a big ass HDD and then just a 600W 80+ something PSU

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I assume that is his monitor. Maybe he left it out?

yah it is, i didnt see he already had it xD

Builds:

Spoiler

Ok this is my idea on this, I7 with 4-6 cores thats K or X series, 16GB of RAM, 500GB-1TB SSD, a GTX 980(what the hell were you thinking throwing a 950 in there lol) and a big ass HDD and then just a 600W 80+ something PSU

Whoa whoa whoa hold up. K or X series GTX 980?  I understand what he uses this for but he's not doing full time content creation/CAD productio

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

Whoa whoa whoa hold up. K or X series GTX 980?  I understand what he uses this for but he's not doing full time content creation/CAD productio

yah looking at what i said that might have been a bit much but i still think the I7 should be there

Builds:

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($41.98 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Toshiba  3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($84.99 @ NCIX US) 

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  ($458.99 @ Newegg) 

Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer  ($12.88 @ OutletPC) 

Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.89 @ OutletPC) 

Fan Controller: NZXT SENTRY 3 Fan Controller  ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Total: $1389.65

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-28 14:24 EST-0500

Since you are doing rendering, CUDA is probably a must.

I would highly recommend this setup then.

If rendering is GPU accelerated, you will quickly find CPU clock speed isn't much of an issue. Hence the Xeon recommendation.

Drop the fan controller (god only knows why you want that when fan curves are a thing) and you can fit a 980ti in the budget.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Though I see that a lot of topics go unnoticed I'll try to see if I can get some feedback here anyways.

So I have 3 set ups I'm looking at here and I don't want to spend anymore than 1500 even than I'd like to spend less if I can but I'm also interested in aesthetics and run some pretty gpu and CPU intensive programs.

If someone could give me feed back and maybe a new build idea for my needs that would be very helpfull.

I plan on rendering a lot of videos and 3d models from maya as well as gaming on this computer. I also run photoshop flash and manga studio 5 a lot of the time.

Here are the 3 set ups in question 2 are pretty similar seeing as I just switched around some parts the other is almost completely different and recommended by a friend of mine.

1. PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tPmkFT

2.PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kBp2Hx

3.PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GrWtjX

Also I live in northern California and am using US dollars of course.

I would really downscale on the 1TB SSD unless you make a living on playing with CAD or rendering videos. I would assume you'll only work on 1-3 projects at a time and once complete that project could live happily on a WD green or if you're a stickler.. WD Black. Maybe roll that money in to the video card. (I'm not sure of today's world, but I've personally had a terrible experience with ATI drivers (2009 era) Also if you live near a microcenter, they usually have great deals on i5s and i7s that are 1 generation behind and if you get a mobo from them it can be $50-$100 off the board+cpu combo. I find their prices on mobos etc.. are only slightly more than newegg, and they'll match newegg anyway. Their CPUs tend to be $50-$80 cheaper on the previous gens. I paid $250 for my i7 4770k which newegg had for $330 at the time.

Majority of motherboards max out at 32gb, so I would buy 2x 8gb and see if 16gb will work for you. Unless you're running virtual machines it should be plenty.

Just an after thought, if you're content with spending ~$300-$350 on the SSD, maybe get a 512gb m.2 which can handle stupid amounts of IOPS and amazing r/w speeds. (MZ-V5P512BW)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($41.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Toshiba  3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($84.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  ($458.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer  ($12.88 @ OutletPC) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.89 @ OutletPC) 
Fan Controller: NZXT SENTRY 3 Fan Controller  ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1389.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-28 14:24 EST-0500

Since you are doing rendering, CUDA is probably a must.

I would highly recommend this setup then.

If rendering is GPU accelerated, you will quickly find CPU clock speed isn't much of an issue. Hence the Xeon recommendation.

Drop the fan controller (god only knows why you want that when fan curves are a thing) and you can fit a 980ti in the budget.

I like this setup too, minus the Xeon and motherboard. Still need a higher clock rate for gaming and the "cpu intensive" applications. Motherboard doesn't have m.2, still has sata II ports (as well as SATA III), and only supports ddr3 1600.. Just feels dated. I'd agree, CUDA is a must.

I like this setup too, minus the Xeon and motherboard. Still need a higher clock rate for gaming and the "cpu intensive" applications. Motherboard doesn't have m.2, still has sata II ports (as well as SATA III), and only supports ddr3 1600.. Just feels dated. I'd agree, CUDA is a must.

You really don't need a higher clock rate... This will still outperform a 4690k in gaming and productivity pretty much regardless of clock speed. Mobo can do what you will, but imho there isn't a good reason to spend more on a different one, since the Xeon doesn't support faster ram, and sata 2 doesn't matter.

I don't even want to begin talking about m.2 but next to no one in their right mind should be considering that as a criteria for future use (says the dude who spent an insane amount of money on his own personal computer).

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

You really don't need a higher clock rate... This will still outperform a 4690k in gaming and productivity pretty much regardless of clock speed. Mobo can do what you will, but imho there isn't a good reason to spend more on a different one, since the Xeon doesn't support faster ram, and sata 2 doesn't matter.

I don't even want to begin talking about m.2 but next to no one in their right mind should be considering that as a criteria for future use (says the dude who spent an insane amount of money on his own personal computer).

I was comparing the E3 against a 4790k from his first suggestion, and I'm in the same ballpark motherboard wise as well, $50-$80, I just imagine there are better choices. $244 vs $289, worth $45 to me for the 4790k. If you're talking out the box performance, the 4790k is only slightly faster and I would go xeon as well, but you would be doing the unlocked processor a disservice if you don't overclock it.

Overall I do like putting more money into the video card, and going with nvidia.

On a side note, more curious than argumentative - what's wrong with M.2 NVMe?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147467

I was comparing the E3 against a 4790k from his first suggestion, and I'm in the same ballpark motherboard wise as well, $50-$80, I just imagine there are better choices. $244 vs $289, worth $45 to me for the 4790k. If you're talking out the box performance, the 4790k is only slightly faster and I would go xeon as well, but you would be doing the unlocked processor a disservice if you don't overclock it.

Overall I do like putting more money into the video card, and going with nvidia.

On a side note, more curious than argumentative - what's wrong with M.2 NVMe?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147467

All a matter of perspective.

M.2 doesn't confer a benefit anyone will notice in current applications. Plus all transfers today are limited by gigabit networking and then HDD storage.

Therefor unless you already have 10gb networking in your house and/or 100% ssd storage, an m.2 is nothing more than a waste of 100-170 dollars over a similar sata drive (I got my m500 960GB for 170 USD).

It just isn't a good investment imho, actually it's like the worst possible investment of that kind of money for most people other than ultra premium motherboards.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

All a matter of perspective.

M.2 doesn't confer a benefit anyone will notice in current applications. Plus all transfers today are limited by gigabit networking and then HDD storage.

Therefor unless you already have 10gb networking in your house and/or 100% ssd storage, an m.2 is nothing more than a waste of 100-170 dollars over a similar sata drive (I got my m500 960GB for 170 USD).

It just isn't a good investment imho, actually it's like the worst possible investment of that kind of money for most people other than ultra premium motherboards.

I was thinking in terms of rendering and other tasks that would operate from the disk. I'm almost saturating my gigabit network with a WD black (~104MBps over the wire), but I still have SSDs for boot/games/SQL/Photoshop etc.. You'd need a 10gb NIC for just a normal SSD.. You can most certainly break 500mbps with a few intensive tasks, which he may do.

Unless he's video editing, he doesn't need a 1TB SSD, so either roll that money into a faster SSD or pocket it. I believe faster reads/writes would be better than going from a 980 to a 980TI.

Thinking further on it... he could just downsize to 256gb, but two of them, stripe them, and get similar speeds (to the m.2) while not only saving money but getting more storage space... So in this respect as an alternative solution I would agree with you, the m.2 PCIe SSD is a waste of money.

yah looking at what i said that might have been a bit much but i still think the I7 should be there

No, the i7's performance would be wasted here.  It's absolutely unnecessary, all he needs is a 6500 a z170 board, GTX 980 or R390 and he's got a 1440p machine.

I was thinking in terms of rendering and other tasks that would operate from the disk. I'm almost saturating my gigabit network with a WD black (~104MBps over the wire), but I still have SSDs for boot/games/SQL/Photoshop etc.. You'd need a 10gb NIC for just a normal SSD.. You can most certainly break 500mbps with a few intensive tasks, which he may do.

Unless he's video editing, he doesn't need a 1TB SSD, so either roll that money into a faster SSD or pocket it. I believe faster reads/writes would be better than going from a 980 to a 980TI.

Thinking further on it... he could just downsize to 256gb, but two of them, stripe them, and get similar speeds (to the m.2) while not only saving money but getting more storage space... So in this respect as an alternative solution I would agree with you, the m.2 PCIe SSD is a waste of money.

See here is the thing imho. Unless he is working with raw 4k formats, any ssd faster than a pcie drive won't help for rendering or well anything... At least not enough to warrant it or raid 0 ssds (which is much less storage for the money of the 1tb drive I recommended).

Just my 2cents, but I have literally everything other than videos/photos on my ssds, and I could never go back. The goal of never relying on the awful seek times/noise of hdds is basically complete for me.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

• 3 weeks later...

all of you guys have been great and I really appreciate all the help. Let me give you guys an update! So I've decided with the amount of time I have before I buy all my parts etc I may be able to push my budget to 2000, I'd still like to save money where ever possible just because I like saving money as anyone does but here are the updates on my 3 builds. 

The big things I want to stick with is an I7 IDK if I really need a skylake or not, I'm trying to go no lower than 16 gigs of ram but I'd like to run 32gigs, Last I'm pretty dead set on a gtx 970 or higher as I work on games and specifically I make assets and art for Oculus games and might need an Oculus at some point so 970 or higher is a must. other than that I'm very loose on all the other parts, I've down sized to a mid tower and do want a windowed tower but don't need it to be full I just want everything to fit in the case obviously. um so yeah those are the biggest updates hope to see some cool feed back soon you guys are great!

21 minutes ago, Gachaghost said:

If you want to stretch to 2k. This is exactly what I would recommend. (USE external cd drive if you really need one).

CPU Cooler: LEPA AquaChanger 240 103.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($75.99 @ Directron) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($134.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 

If you don't want to stretch it, here is my recommended price to performance build. (Xeon 1231 ~=  i7)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($318.98 @ Newegg) 

Finally as this applies to all of the builds, if you want a wireless network solution I highly recommend this product! 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

8 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Thanks for all the feed back its great to see what I can mix and match to get better builds. I'm not looking to do wireless as I stream on twitch now I like to have a wired connection. Since I don't have a wire that can reach to my box though and the other people in my house hate seeing wires I'm planning on investing in a powerline kit. 

Tbh your 1st option is the most interesting to me though I'd probably opt to cut back on the keyboard mouse and solid state Drive and invest in a more powerful power supply my self. I love me a nice keyboard and mouse especially back lit but I'll upgrade to those a little later same with my memory I'll mostly keep my chunkier programs on the ssd but I don't expect them to use up more than 500gb I'd expect less honestly. Though I'd like to have a 1tb ssd I just like the option of extra space. I can always get more hdds to throw stuff oN though and hdds are cheap! 

5 hours ago, Gachaghost said:

Thanks for all the feed back its great to see what I can mix and match to get better builds. I'm not looking to do wireless as I stream on twitch now I like to have a wired connection. Since I don't have a wire that can reach to my box though and the other people in my house hate seeing wires I'm planning on investing in a powerline kit. 

Tbh your 1st option is the most interesting to me though I'd probably opt to cut back on the keyboard mouse and solid state Drive and invest in a more powerful power supply my self. I love me a nice keyboard and mouse especially back lit but I'll upgrade to those a little later same with my memory I'll mostly keep my chunkier programs on the ssd but I don't expect them to use up more than 500gb I'd expect less honestly. Though I'd like to have a 1tb ssd I just like the option of extra space. I can always get more hdds to throw stuff oN though and hdds are cheap! 

You don't need a more powerful  power supply. Like at all. (Unless you want to do sli 980tis)

But yea I only included the more expensive  mouse and keyboard  since you had it in your linked builds.  For now I'd totes recommend a cm combo. 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS